Total Posts:66|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Ideas for changing the educational system.

Lionheart
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 4:21:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Let's try and pull our thoughts together in creating some ideas for how the current educational system could be changed towards becoming more efficient and enjoyable for both the teachers and the students. Let's start off with your top three ideas. Feel free to list more.

Ideas

1.)

2.)

3.)
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."


- Lionheart -
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 4:27:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
1.) fire bad teachers

2.) punish lazy students

3.) reduce the hours of school

4.) increase the difficulty of all classes

5.) Abolish smart boards. (man I hate those things)

6.) Abolish homework.

7.) add more money in funds for class trips

8.) reinstate snack time in high school.

9.) reinstate nap time in high school

10.) reinstate recess in highschool

11.) allow the students to determine their career path and drop all class that are irrelevant to that purpose.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 4:31:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/24/2011 4:27:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
1.) fire bad teachers

Criteria?

2.) punish lazy students

Criteria?

3.) reduce the hours of school

I agree.

4.) increase the difficulty of all classes

No so sure about this.

5.) Abolish smart boards. (man I hate those things)

6.) Abolish homework.

AGREE 100%; and not from the "homework sucks," position, but it honestly isn't doing its job.

7.) add more money in funds for class trips

I could see this.

8.) reinstate snack time in high school.

I'd go for this if it was like IN-CLASS.

9.) reinstate nap time in high school

Eh....

10.) reinstate recess in highschool

Maybe...

11.) allow the students to determine their career path and drop all class that are irrelevant to that purpose.

This last one I don't agree with. Because, what is irrelevant? Being a rounded individual is important, after all.

Honestly, I'm drawing a blank on other ideas aart from what ike has stated.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 4:41:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/24/2011 4:31:23 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 8/24/2011 4:27:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
1.) fire bad teachers

Criteria?

We can determine which teachers are and are not lazy over a period of 2 years. If even half or the majority of his/her class failed the class with a C- or lower in both years, the teacher must be fired.

A more expedient method involves the observation of new teachers. If a teacher repetitively refers to his/her students to learn from the book, and does not teach. He/she must be fired

2.) punish lazy students.

criteria?

A lazy student is one who has shown a pattern of deliberately and apathetically neglecting to properly complete class work, and has shown no effort or studying in taking tests. He, as a result should begin to receive 1 detention after about 5 occasions of obvious indifference to school.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Tim_Spin
Posts: 446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 4:52:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
1)- PRIVATIZE nac
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:00:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/24/2011 4:27:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
1.) fire bad teachers

Agreed.

2.) punish lazy students

Or set up a new system that deals with laziness in a way which renders it undesirable.

3.) reduce the hours of school

Agreed. 6 hours should be sufficient. 1 hour per class. 4 Classes. Classes being split up between half of each school year.

4.) increase the difficulty of all classes

Not needed. Class difficulty should be flexible and reflect the student's current level of understanding.

5.) Abolish smart boards. (man I hate those things)

Irrelevant.

6.) Abolish homework.

I disagree.

7.) add more money in funds for class trips

Add more money towards education in general.

8.) reinstate snack time in high school.

Snacks and liquid should be allowed during class as it serves two positive functions. 1.) It provides the needed nutrition for energy and brain function. It makes students happier which in turn makes for better attitudes and behavior.

9.) reinstate nap time in high school

I disagree.

10.) reinstate recess in highschool

Agreed. A 30 minute lunch and a 30 minute recess should be mandatory.

11.) allow the students to determine their career path and drop all class that are irrelevant to that purpose.

Agreed. Classes should revolve around a student's interests and talents. In my opinion this is one of the major problems with education today.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:06:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
11.) allow the students to determine their career path and drop all class that are irrelevant to that purpose.

Who really knows there career path by high school? I was certain that I was going to be a political science major in HS, and I was dead wrong when the time came to select a major. Students in HS are not on a conveyer belt to a given career path.

3.) reduce the hours of school
8.) reinstate snack time in high school.
9.) reinstate nap time in high school
10.) reinstate recess in highschool
6.) Abolish homework.

Can you just drop out already? lol.

4.) increase the difficulty of all classes

Didn't you say you were in the running for being valedictorian? Yeah, we're not all like that.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:09:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
School will never be a place to get a proper education.

The only thing the education system can do is get people to realize that learning is fun. As soon as they do that, learning could only be less cool if your dad looks like George McFly and works in a lab coat.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:12:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/24/2011 4:21:07 PM, Lionheart wrote:
Let's try and pull our thoughts together in creating some ideas for how the current educational system could be changed towards becoming more efficient and enjoyable for both the teachers and the students. Let's start off with your top three ideas. Feel free to list more.

Ideas

1.) Base criteria around the individual student's interests and talents.

2.) Make classes smaller and add more qualified teachers to the system.

3.) Split classes into semesters. 2 semesters per year. 1 hour per class. 1 hour lunch/recess (social time).

4.) Pay teachers more money as they are one of the most important professions in society.

5.) Abolish rules that restrict the freedom of expression. As long as the expressions fall in line with the behavior code of conduct, this would not be a problem. This would better prepare students for the real world.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:22:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
1) Determine a criteria to hire teachers (complete college education, and so on) and to fire 'bad' teachers

2) Minimize the number of standardized tests (AP, Regents, state exams) to undermine the presence of a 'test culture'.

3) Increase the school year by curtailing a few breaks (winter break)

4) Giving more available extracurricular activities and clubs for students in secondary education institutions

5) Increasing the difficulty of school classes, and offering a wider range of curriculum to students after they have chosen their major

6) Increase funding to departments within secondary and primary education institutions, as well as to teachers and staffs.

7) Implement recess time in high school or at least widen the breaks between classes during the day

8) Allowing students choice of classes and courses during their freshman year (and allow them to chose their major during the same year)

9) Increase the load of homework given by each teacher

10) Increase the number of foreign languages taught, as well as classes pertaining to those languages

11) Allow overseas trips between each two consecutive years to a desired location

12) Re-instiuting art classes, but maintaining classes of technology

13) Divide broad classes into mini-classes...ex. For biology, students can take courses of entomology, human anatomy, ecology, and so on each semester.

14) Give students the right to petition and protest what they consider wrong (i.e. a teacher's style or methology) as long as adequate proof (ex. video, recorded incidence, or written statement) is given and further substantiated with the help of PTA organizations and so on.

15) Increase the length of the school day for an increase of length of time for each class.

16) Decrease the length of the summer year.

And so on.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:24:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/24/2011 6:09:12 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
School will never be a place to get a proper education.

The only thing the education system can do is get people to realize that learning is fun. As soon as they do that, learning could only be less cool if your dad looks like George McFly and works in a lab coat.'

that couldn't be any further from the truth. I guess it depends on which state you go to school in. NJ has the 4th best education system of the country. Vermont has the 1st I believe. Learning is not fun unless you care about the subject. Lucky for me, I care about every subject but math. In short, you're discrediting school beyond reason.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:24:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/24/2011 6:12:41 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 8/24/2011 4:21:07 PM, Lionheart wrote:
Let's try and pull our thoughts together in creating some ideas for how the current educational system could be changed towards becoming more efficient and enjoyable for both the teachers and the students. Let's start off with your top three ideas. Feel free to list more.

Ideas

1.) Base criteria around the individual student's interests and talents.
Agreed.

2.) Make classes smaller and add more qualified teachers to the system.
Agreed. Smaller classes will help teachers to focus on each individual student's priorities. Qualified teachers might increase the quality of education each student receives.

3.) Split classes into semesters. 2 semesters per year. 1 hour per class. 1 hour lunch/recess (social time).
Agreed, though I find this somewhat unnecessary. Do you mind explaining why you think classes should be split into semesters?

4.) Pay teachers more money as they are one of the most important professions in society.
Agreed, though I do advocate the dissolution of teacher unions as well...

5.) Abolish rules that restrict the freedom of expression. As long as the expressions fall in line with the behavior code of conduct, this would not be a problem. This would better prepare students for the real world.
That would need a line to draw or the 'behavior code of conduct', which is not so easy to define or delineate.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:29:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/24/2011 6:27:39 PM, testaccoun wrote:
At 8/24/2011 6:24:06 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/24/2011 6:09:12 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
School will never be a place to get a proper education.

The only thing the education system can do is get people to realize that learning is fun. As soon as they do that, learning could only be less cool if your dad looks like George McFly and works in a lab coat.'

that couldn't be any further from the truth. I guess it depends on which state you go to school in. NJ has the 4th best education system of the country.

Unfortunately that isn't saying much
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

That doesn't say much for the country as a whole, but many individual states and regions are above average in the global developed world. http://www.statemaster.com...
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:30:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/24/2011 6:29:26 PM, testaccoun wrote:
At 8/24/2011 6:24:57 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
1.) Base criteria around the individual student's interests and talents.
Agreed.

Lol so we can be even worse in math and have more modern art, study halls, and media class?

Get real

I was about to add: and include other classes outside of the student's interests and talents into the base criteria.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:33:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/24/2011 6:32:13 PM, testaccoun wrote:
At 8/24/2011 6:30:16 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/24/2011 6:29:26 PM, testaccoun wrote:
At 8/24/2011 6:24:57 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
1.) Base criteria around the individual student's interests and talents.
Agreed.

Lol so we can be even worse in math and have more modern art, study halls, and media class?

Get real

I was about to add: and include other classes outside of the student's interests and talents into the base criteria.

so basically how it is now?

No, I also advocate longer school days and increased numbers of classes (of classes outside and within the student's interests) and a decrease in the length of the summer.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:34:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/24/2011 6:29:26 PM, testaccoun wrote:
At 8/24/2011 6:24:57 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
1.) Base criteria around the individual student's interests and talents.
Agreed.

Lol so we can be even worse in math and have more modern art, study halls, and media class?

Get real

No, almost any subject involves the basics. Basic math, basic english, and basic general science. Everything else is a form of specialization that should revolve around the student's individual interests and talents, not generalizations.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:42:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Just because you increase the school year and decrease summer does not mean that there will be improvements in the education quality. In fact, eating away at summer would decrease student performance as the fatigue of a long school year is drawn out and reflected upon the end of the year school work. Furthermore, there is a right to summer vacation. The government cannot rob millions of children of childhood. The idea would fail upon suggestion. No one wants that.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:43:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/24/2011 6:24:57 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/24/2011 6:12:41 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 8/24/2011 4:21:07 PM, Lionheart wrote:
Let's try and pull our thoughts together in creating some ideas for how the current educational system could be changed towards becoming more efficient and enjoyable for both the teachers and the students. Let's start off with your top three ideas. Feel free to list more.

Ideas

1.) Base criteria around the individual student's interests and talents.
Agreed.

2.) Make classes smaller and add more qualified teachers to the system.
Agreed. Smaller classes will help teachers to focus on each individual student's priorities. Qualified teachers might increase the quality of education each student receives.

3.) Split classes into semesters. 2 semesters per year. 1 hour per class. 1 hour lunch/recess (social time).
Agreed, though I find this somewhat unnecessary. Do you mind explaining why you think classes should be split into semesters?

4.) Pay teachers more money as they are one of the most important professions in society.
Agreed, though I do advocate the dissolution of teacher unions as well...

5.) Abolish rules that restrict the freedom of expression. As long as the expressions fall in line with the behavior code of conduct, this would not be a problem. This would better prepare students for the real world.
That would need a line to draw or the 'behavior code of conduct', which is not so easy to define or delineate.

My reasoning for number three is a result of how I feel the typical school day should be broke down.

6 hour school day.

1 hour per class.

4 classes.

1 hour lunch/social recess period in the middle of each day.

30 minutes at the beginning and end of each school day for social recess.

8 classes per school year.

3 weeks on/1 week off per month schedule.

Summer break shortened to 1 month.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:46:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
As a matter of fact, disregard my point about the increase in the school year. I would advocate for the length of the school year to remain, just with small changes in the calendar in terms of breaks and vacations.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
seraine
Posts: 734
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:48:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/24/2011 6:43:34 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 8/24/2011 6:24:57 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/24/2011 6:12:41 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 8/24/2011 4:21:07 PM, Lionheart wrote:
Let's try and pull our thoughts together in creating some ideas for how the current educational system could be changed towards becoming more efficient and enjoyable for both the teachers and the students. Let's start off with your top three ideas. Feel free to list more.

Ideas

1.) Base criteria around the individual student's interests and talents.
Agreed.

2.) Make classes smaller and add more qualified teachers to the system.
Agreed. Smaller classes will help teachers to focus on each individual student's priorities. Qualified teachers might increase the quality of education each student receives.

3.) Split classes into semesters. 2 semesters per year. 1 hour per class. 1 hour lunch/recess (social time).
Agreed, though I find this somewhat unnecessary. Do you mind explaining why you think classes should be split into semesters?

4.) Pay teachers more money as they are one of the most important professions in society.
Agreed, though I do advocate the dissolution of teacher unions as well...

5.) Abolish rules that restrict the freedom of expression. As long as the expressions fall in line with the behavior code of conduct, this would not be a problem. This would better prepare students for the real world.
That would need a line to draw or the 'behavior code of conduct', which is not so easy to define or delineate.

My reasoning for number three is a result of how I feel the typical school day should be broke down.

6 hour school day.

1 hour per class.

4 classes.

1 hour lunch/social recess period in the middle of each day.

30 minutes at the beginning and end of each school day for social recess.

8 classes per school year.


3 weeks on/1 week off per month schedule.

Summer break shortened to 1 month.


I really agree with the bold part. I also agree with more social time.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:51:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I also believe that chess should be taught in schools.

1.) Chess, much like playing an instrument is a tremendous exercise of the brain. Chess when played in moderation over a length of time creates nerve endings in the brain that directly increase memory capacity, speed of thinking, and mathematical computational ability. (http://www.associatedcontent.com... .... http://www.ninds.nih.gov... ... http://www.uschesstrust.org...)

2.) Chess is fun for many people once they know how to play it. Learning + fun = educational success

3.) Chess, and this one I recently noticed, helps in deduction and reasoning. The exercise of constantly gauging numerous options, predicting the results of each, and selecting the best choice starts to come natural even in life situations.

Why the U.S does not teach chess in the public school is a mystery to me. Chess club is not enough.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:53:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/24/2011 4:27:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
1.) fire bad teachers
Agree, though a criteria must be established.
2.) punish lazy students
I believe that lazy students should be motivated,not punished, unless if they are unwilling to do so.
3.) reduce the hours of school
Disagree...the hours of school should remain the same.
4.) increase the difficulty of all classes
Agree.
5.) Abolish smart boards. (man I hate those things)
Disagree...I don't consider it necessary.
6.) Abolish homework.
Disagree...
7.) add more money in funds for class trips
Agree...I also encourage overseas trips to other countries for students who want to study foreign languages in depth.
8.) reinstate snack time in high school.
Agree...breaks between a set of classes should be increased in length for rest.
9.) reinstate nap time in high school
No....
10.) reinstate recess in highschool
Yes. Agreed.

11.) allow the students to determine their career path and drop all class that are irrelevant to that purpose.
Agreed, though basic courses and classes should still be retained. Students cannot easily decide on classes that they or their educaters consider pertinent to their 'career path'.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 6:55:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/24/2011 6:52:36 PM, testaccoun wrote:
Besides privitization

1 - elimination of the unions
Agreed...Those teacher unions are a big hindrance.
2 - installation of video cameras in classes to randomly assess teachers throughout the year
I partially agree, since this is one of the best ways to access the quality of teachers (a formal class check by an assistant principle would not be so good in determining how a teacher is like in his/her class)....
3 - mandatory econ class, mandatory personal financial management class less electives
I do agree....those areas should also be emphasized along with classes of science, technology, and mathematics.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 7:00:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/24/2011 6:53:39 PM, testaccoun wrote:
At 8/24/2011 6:51:14 PM, 000ike wrote:
Why the U.S does not teach chess in the public school is a mystery to me. Chess club is not enough.

Chess is a game, it teaches logic, everyone should know how to the play. It conveys no real knowledge that's applicable in the real world and thus should not be taught. Math teaches logic and is applicable for a wide variety of professions.

Chess is as applicable as math. Didn't you read this part?

"Chess, and this one I recently noticed, helps in deduction and reasoning. The exercise of constantly gauging numerous options, predicting the results of each, and selecting the best choice starts to come natural even in life situations."
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
seraine
Posts: 734
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 7:12:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/24/2011 6:52:36 PM, testaccoun wrote:
Besides privitization

1 - elimination of the unions
2 - installation of video cameras in classes to randomly assess teachers throughout the year
3 - mandatory econ class, mandatory personal financial management class less electives

I largely agree with this.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 7:19:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/24/2011 7:12:17 PM, seraine wrote:
At 8/24/2011 6:52:36 PM, testaccoun wrote:
Besides privitization

1 - elimination of the unions
2 - installation of video cameras in classes to randomly assess teachers throughout the year
3 - mandatory econ class, mandatory personal financial management class less electives

I largely agree with this.

I disagree with that, in fact, I strongly disagree with most of that.

Teachers unions are necessary. Teachers are often underpaid and under-appreciated.

There is really no greater symbol of disrespect and dissolution of privacy than a video camera in the class room. Its an uncomfortable environment for teachers and students, and no one would ever let that happen.

I agree that econ and financial management should be mandatory, but less electives is bad idea. We need more.

a) More electives = more jobs, a grace period for students to do something fun in school, and a chance for students to develop their talents.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 8:12:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/24/2011 6:48:24 PM, seraine wrote:
At 8/24/2011 6:43:34 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 8/24/2011 6:24:57 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/24/2011 6:12:41 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 8/24/2011 4:21:07 PM, Lionheart wrote:
Let's try and pull our thoughts together in creating some ideas for how the current educational system could be changed towards becoming more efficient and enjoyable for both the teachers and the students. Let's start off with your top three ideas. Feel free to list more.

Ideas

1.) Base criteria around the individual student's interests and talents.
Agreed.

2.) Make classes smaller and add more qualified teachers to the system.
Agreed. Smaller classes will help teachers to focus on each individual student's priorities. Qualified teachers might increase the quality of education each student receives.

3.) Split classes into semesters. 2 semesters per year. 1 hour per class. 1 hour lunch/recess (social time).
Agreed, though I find this somewhat unnecessary. Do you mind explaining why you think classes should be split into semesters?

4.) Pay teachers more money as they are one of the most important professions in society.
Agreed, though I do advocate the dissolution of teacher unions as well...

5.) Abolish rules that restrict the freedom of expression. As long as the expressions fall in line with the behavior code of conduct, this would not be a problem. This would better prepare students for the real world.
That would need a line to draw or the 'behavior code of conduct', which is not so easy to define or delineate.

My reasoning for number three is a result of how I feel the typical school day should be broke down.

6 hour school day.

1 hour per class.

4 classes.

1 hour lunch/social recess period in the middle of each day.

30 minutes at the beginning and end of each school day for social recess.

8 classes per school year.


3 weeks on/1 week off per month schedule.

Summer break shortened to 1 month.


I really agree with the bold part. I also agree with more social time.

Thank you.

What would you change about the rest of what I propose?
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Logic_on_rails
Posts: 2,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 1:44:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Well, it's good to see a thread addressing key points about education. However, instead of addressing structural points (like privatisation) , I'll address points directly relevant to educational improvement.

1. Better test marking systems.

The current marking system is flawed to due a reward for guessing. Here's a great document on the subject http://www.caacentre.ac.uk... . Personally, I support a confidence assessment.

2. Greater flexibility in teaching

Yes, that's an incredibly general statement. To try and clarify, let me give an example. My friend had a fun question about weekly salary given an annual salary in a maths test. He divided the annual salary by 365 and multiplied by 7 (the no. of days in a week) . He got it wrong! The teachers were so inflexible as to only adhere to a division by 52 (52 weeks in a year is commonly held, yet it's only 364 days, not 365) .

Also, I could go on endlessly about semantics in tests, but I disgress.

3. Civility

This is going to be attacked for sure. Nevertheless, a bit of teaching of this can't hurt. Swearing is a bit rampant to say the least.

4. Reduce homework and increase assignment numbers

Yes, I hold the 2 as distinct. Homework refers to things like maths exercises, worksheets and the like. Assignments typically involve higher order thinking and a greater ability to show talent, although not all assignments are so great...

5. Various ways of learning

It's known that people learn in different ways (visual, auditory etc.) yet nothing is done about it. Pretty self explanatory.

6. Slight reduction in essential learning

A slight shift away from the core content side of essentialism as an educational policy would be helpful. See here for an introduction to educational philosophy http://oregonstate.edu...

7. Courses in logic

There's a lot of definitions and terms out there. So many that it forces people to specialise. This doesn't apply with logic. Learning something like logical fallacies would be quick and very helpful

As I'm a bit tired, I won't continue what could become a very long list right now. Suffice to say though, much of learning has to do with student attitude and culture, 2 things which are not so easily addressed as merely a fix or 2 to the curriculum. But as I said, I'm tired, so no pressing the point.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 4:14:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/25/2011 1:44:58 AM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
Well, it's good to see a thread addressing key points about education. However, instead of addressing structural points (like privatisation) , I'll address points directly relevant to educational improvement.

1. Better test marking systems.

The current marking system is flawed to due a reward for guessing. Here's a great document on the subject http://www.caacentre.ac.uk... . Personally, I support a confidence assessment.

2. Greater flexibility in teaching

Yes, that's an incredibly general statement. To try and clarify, let me give an example. My friend had a fun question about weekly salary given an annual salary in a maths test. He divided the annual salary by 365 and multiplied by 7 (the no. of days in a week) . He got it wrong! The teachers were so inflexible as to only adhere to a division by 52 (52 weeks in a year is commonly held, yet it's only 364 days, not 365) .

Also, I could go on endlessly about semantics in tests, but I disgress.

3. Civility

This is going to be attacked for sure. Nevertheless, a bit of teaching of this can't hurt. Swearing is a bit rampant to say the least.

4. Reduce homework and increase assignment numbers

Yes, I hold the 2 as distinct. Homework refers to things like maths exercises, worksheets and the like. Assignments typically involve higher order thinking and a greater ability to show talent, although not all assignments are so great...

5. Various ways of learning

It's known that people learn in different ways (visual, auditory etc.) yet nothing is done about it. Pretty self explanatory.

6. Slight reduction in essential learning

A slight shift away from the core content side of essentialism as an educational policy would be helpful. See here for an introduction to educational philosophy http://oregonstate.edu...

7. Courses in logic

There's a lot of definitions and terms out there. So many that it forces people to specialise. This doesn't apply with logic. Learning something like logical fallacies would be quick and very helpful

As I'm a bit tired, I won't continue what could become a very long list right now. Suffice to say though, much of learning has to do with student attitude and culture, 2 things which are not so easily addressed as merely a fix or 2 to the curriculum. But as I said, I'm tired, so no pressing the point.

I agree with you on almost all accounts.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."