Do you agree with this?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 1:49:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
agree 110%
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 1:54:56 PM
Yep! Had me at "the us's educational system sucks... let me finish watching...
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 1:58:57 PM
At 8/28/2011 1:54:56 PM, devinni01841 wrote:
Yep! Had me at "the us's educational system sucks... let me finish watching...

Absloutely, 100000000% correct.. but what to do about it?
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 5:05:19 PM
Yes and no. Our universities are the best so they attract the best all over the world, and the visa is good incentive. The visa is a win win as far as i am concerned.

Our educational ranking isn't as horrible as everyone suggests:
http://www.guardian.co.uk...

It's really the public schools that are so terrible. Don't get me wrong there's massive room for improvement, but let's not think we're at the bottom of the heap.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 2:05:45 AM
At 8/28/2011 5:05:19 PM, innomen wrote:
Yes and no. Our universities are the best so they attract the best all over the world, and the visa is good incentive. The visa is a win win as far as i am concerned.

Our educational ranking isn't as horrible as everyone suggests:
http://www.guardian.co.uk...

It's really the public schools that are so terrible. Don't get me wrong there's massive room for improvement, but let's not think we're at the bottom of the heap.

Not that I'm American, but I can state that American universities are the best in the world, at least by those systems that rank them. I think 7 out of the top 10 best universities in the world are American. The highest Asian rank was 21 if I remember.

On the point of the OP. It's not that Caucasians aren't smart. That's the wrong picture. It's not that any race is particularly smarter than any other race, but cultural influences are key. One key point is how education is valued. One reason Asians do so well is typically a strong educational streak that tends to be a result of education having been prized in Confucianism for many years.

I also think it depends on what smart refers to. I know many intelligent people who might not do so well as a mildly intelligent person who's very good at tests, definitions etc. yet can't display higher order thinking or quick thinking.

It's an interesting issue that has many subtle points about it.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 3:18:46 AM
At 8/28/2011 5:43:44 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 8/28/2011 5:23:16 PM, innomen wrote:
Homogeneity, and they're asian.

What does homogeneity have to do with it?

There is a greater homogeneity in their values as a culture and society, and education is one of their values that is shared almost without exception and to the same degree throughout the South Korean people, unlike any other society. They have a singleness in purpose at every level in education, from the student, family, school, to the various government levels.

It's the Canadians that mystify me. Have you ever met a Canadian? Seriously, Canada?
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 4:23:22 AM
At 8/29/2011 3:18:46 AM, innomen wrote:
There is a greater homogeneity in their values as a culture and society, and education is one of their values that is shared almost without exception and to the same degree throughout the South Korean people, unlike any other society. They have a singleness in purpose at every level in education, from the student, family, school, to the various government levels.

Huh, makes sense.

It's the Canadians that mystify me. Have you ever met a Canadian? Seriously, Canada?

lol, what?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 4:28:22 AM
At 8/29/2011 4:23:22 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 8/29/2011 3:18:46 AM, innomen wrote:

Huh, makes sense.

lol, what?

kidding.