Jump to topic:

Too many students testing on the ACT

Pacedog
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 8:55:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I feel that there are too many kids taking the ACT test that are not totally prepared for this exam. People make a giant issue over low ACT scores in this country, yet they fail to realize that not every child taking the test has prepared well enough the first two or three years of their high school experience to get a score that is admirable. All it takes is to look at the graduation requirements from each state or district and then look at what is required to do well on the aforementioned test to see where the issue really hits home....lack of academic prep, counselors hounding kids into taking the test when they are not university bound, and a lack of parent participation in their child's education at the high school level where students/parents CHOOSE the classes they will take.

What say you?
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 8:57:05 PM
The same might apply to the SAT since both tests are often dedicated to--in courses and classes--outside of normal curriculum in public schools.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 10:02:45 PM
The ACT (which I am not too acquainted with) apparently tests:

English: usage/mechanics, rhetoric skills, reading comprehension
Math-pre and elementary algebra, plane geometry, coordinate geometry, trigonometry
Reading-prose fiction, social sciences, humanities, natural science
Writing-essay writing
Scientific Reasoning

Much of what is tested might have been taught, though I do find issues with 'humanities' and 'social sciences' (a field that encompasses psychology as well as economics, and other fields of study).
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 8:58:10 PM
The ACT never directly tests scientific knowledge, just scientific reasoning. It will give you all the facts you need to make your conclusions, any equations you'd have to use.
TadFoster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 4:17:28 AM
At 8/30/2011 8:55:37 PM, Pacedog wrote:
I feel that there are too many kids taking the ACT test that are not totally prepared for this exam. People make a giant issue over low ACT scores in this country, yet they fail to realize that not every child taking the test has prepared well enough the first two or three years of their high school experience to get a score that is admirable. All it takes is to look at the graduation requirements from each state or district and then look at what is required to do well on the aforementioned test to see where the issue really hits home....lack of academic prep, counselors hounding kids into taking the test when they are not university bound, and a lack of parent participation in their child's education at the high school level where students/parents CHOOSE the classes they will take.

What say you?

I think more teachers, parents and kids need to discover Shmoop; it's this online ACT Prep (http://www.shmoop.com...) resource that covers all the concepts, has tons of practice exercises, full length exams and test taking strategies. My son used and liked it for the thoroughness, simplicity, and humor with which it took him through everything. He got a really good score, and attributes it largely to the website.