Jump to topic:

Professors/Teachers and Attitude

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 5:59:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why do many teachers/professors give a bad attitude to the students and don't hold themselves accountable for their actions? For instance, in one of my classes a couple of months ago, I had a professor who would constantly come late to class, cancel his office hours and not respond to student's emails in a timely manner. Don't professors/school teachers realize that they have a paid job and are accountable to their students who are their customers? Don't they feel it is their responsibility to give the students the maximum value for their money? Also, I find it ridiculous that many professors call students out on being late to class. If a student who is paying for that class is late, why do they care? They should just ignore it and teach because they are the only ones who are on the job, not the students.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 6:51:19 PM
Tenure
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 4:24:25 AM
I believe tenure should only be extended to professors performing or writing research. The point of it is to allow for independent examination without fear of political retribution. It covers the professor hunting for Bigfoot, but not one whose only job is to teach high school kids math.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 5:38:22 AM
I had a terrible professor once who lost a 40 page paper i wrote on Albania. This was pre laptop days, tapped the whole thing out on a typewriter, and claimed he never received it. He let me rewrite it and he lost it again. I complained to the Dean and the professor called me at home all upset that i could do something so terrible as that. He then asked me what grade i should get, and i told him of course an A.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 9:12:11 AM
At 9/11/2011 5:38:22 AM, innomen wrote:
i told him of course an A.

Hahaha, way to go! I don't think I would have done that but it was definitely the smartest thing to do.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 9:16:50 AM
Although I HIGHLY value teachers and education, I must say that it truly ridiculous when many teachers (generally the bad ones do this) act so high and mighty, as though they have the most important job in the world. Of course, as I said, it always seems to be the poor (in quality) teachers who feel so entitled.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 9:58:57 AM
If a student who is paying for that class is late, why do they care? They should just ignore it and teach because they are the only ones who are on the job, not the students.

That makes the students come later. You gotta give priority to the class. In my class, the teacher who doesn't allow children in after she starts teaching has the highest attendance, and students are forever coming into classes that allow late-ness. It disturbs everyone.

I don't mind this rule that much. But I hate it when the teacher doesn't answer your question. My microeconomics teacher specially averts his eyes when I rise my hand, and always tries to roll over my question if I don't persist. And even when I do, he just doesn't answer the question, gives some answer that isn't even applicable to the question I asked. And then I look 'disrespectful' if I don't drop it.

Also, his accent makes everything hard to understand. :/
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 10:13:22 AM
At 9/11/2011 9:58:57 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
If a student who is paying for that class is late, why do they care? They should just ignore it and teach because they are the only ones who are on the job, not the students.

That makes the students come later. You gotta give priority to the class. In my class, the teacher who doesn't allow children in after she starts teaching has the highest attendance, and students are forever coming into classes that allow late-ness. It disturbs everyone.

I don't mind this rule that much. But I hate it when the teacher doesn't answer your question. My microeconomics teacher specially averts his eyes when I rise my hand, and always tries to roll over my question if I don't persist. And even when I do, he just doesn't answer the question, gives some answer that isn't even applicable to the question I asked. And then I look 'disrespectful' if I don't drop it.

What accent? I've had that problem a lot because people in California have so many different accents: Californian (the ones who are born there), Midwestern, Southern, Mexican/Spanish, Puerto Rican, Chinese, Indian, Korean, Vietnamese, Australian, even some European and African but I've eventually gotten used to all of them. When I went to college, you never really knew which accent your professor/teaching assistant was going to have.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 10:19:53 AM
At 9/11/2011 10:13:22 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

What accent? I've had that problem a lot because people in California have so many different accents: Californian (the ones who are born there), Midwestern, Southern, Mexican/Spanish, Puerto Rican, Chinese, Indian, Korean, Vietnamese, Australian, even some European and African but I've eventually gotten used to all of them. When I went to college, you never really knew which accent your professor/teaching assistant was going to have.

I hope I get used to mine. I don't even know what his accent is. You know, being an Indian, I know I probably shouldn't complain about English accent, (but then I haven't seen anyone with that Indian-English stereotyped accent), but this one is like totally different. Kind of like Chinese-cum-spanish-cum-Indian.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 11:56:48 AM
At 9/11/2011 10:19:53 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

I hope I get used to mine. I don't even know what his accent is. You know, being an Indian, I know I probably shouldn't complain about English accent, (but then I haven't seen anyone with that Indian-English stereotyped accent), but this one is like totally different. Kind of like Chinese-cum-spanish-cum-Indian.

@gerrandesquire, check this out, it is really funny.
http://milkmiracle.net...
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 9:44:01 PM
At 9/11/2011 5:38:22 AM, innomen wrote:
I had a terrible professor once who lost a 40 page paper i wrote on Albania. This was pre laptop days, tapped the whole thing out on a typewriter, and claimed he never received it. He let me rewrite it and he lost it again. I complained to the Dean and the professor called me at home all upset that i could do something so terrible as that. He then asked me what grade i should get, and i told him of course an A.

Did he just have some sort of thing against you or something? Or was this his typical way of behaving towards other students?
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 2:58:46 AM
At 9/11/2011 11:56:48 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/11/2011 10:19:53 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

@gerrandesquire, check this out, it is really funny.
http://milkmiracle.net...

Haha. I know. The typical 'Indian accent' is overestimated. I guess it's found more abroad than in India, we ARE especially proud of our culture. :D
JessieWolters
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 9:49:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/10/2011 5:59:32 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Why do many teachers/professors give a bad attitude to the students and don't hold themselves accountable for their actions? For instance, in one of my classes a couple of months ago, I had a professor who would constantly come late to class, cancel his office hours and not respond to student's emails in a timely manner. Don't professors/school teachers realize that they have a paid job and are accountable to their students who are their customers? Don't they feel it is their responsibility to give the students the maximum value for their money? Also, I find it ridiculous that many professors call students out on being late to class. If a student who is paying for that class is late, why do they care? They should just ignore it and teach because they are the only ones who are on the job, not the students.

I agree with you! Most of the time Teachers/Professors thinks they are only a TEACHERS/PROFESSORS they didn't love their students that need sometimes. To know your students you can be their friends not ONLY A PROFESSIONALS.
"To change your phrase somewhat, I know that I like an art where disparate elements form an entity."
~ James Schuyler