Jump to topic:

Technical Education

ravi_limaye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 1:35:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Indian Technical Education has this trend of Private sector playing a major role. Quality is an area of major concern. Is the scence similar globally?
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 2:51:06 PM
At 9/14/2011 1:35:10 PM, ravi_limaye wrote:
Indian Technical Education has this trend of Private sector playing a major role. Quality is an area of major concern. Is the scence similar globally?

I would say that the private sector has full control over technical education right now. It should be a major concern for Americans, as it is one of the growing areas of employment. I would say that the quality of the programs are top notch though. Globally, I don't see it being the same in all nations.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
ravi_limaye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 3:00:13 PM
It is matter of addressing needs of masses and affordability. India with huge population has several takers for the conventional technical education. USA has US citizens and global students. The world has good education haves and havenots the gap can be filled with online education
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 3:34:27 PM
At 9/14/2011 3:00:13 PM, ravi_limaye wrote:
It is matter of addressing needs of masses and affordability. India with huge population has several takers for the conventional technical education. USA has US citizens and global students. The world has good education haves and havenots the gap can be filled with online education

I agree. It is a useful method for many people.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
marcuscato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 12:52:41 PM
Teachers are highly over-rated. Good books are more important than teachers imo.
My high school only accepted the top 2%.. Out of an official strength of 100 students per class, 10 people were present for each lecture(on average)..
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 1:54:18 PM
Are we talking about at the university level or at any level in general?

I think its good that Indian Universities are kind of taking us out of the dark ages of education. Education is one of the few goods in society in which prices have steadily increased, yet quality has not increased, and is perhaps even decreasing.

Of course, a majority of schools are private. Yet, I believe the government involvement in education, both in price distortion and regulations, and the power of teacher unions, makes it so that schools do not compete effectively and as a result do not lower prices. Also non-profit organizations general have less of an incentive to make things more efficient, since they will not reap the profits. Granted, that doesn't mean that non-profit organizations don't care about costs. However, non-profit organizations only care about cost once they are at a loss.

Even with for-profit private schools, there is great difficult entering the market. For one, the value of an education is largely based on networking effects. Networking effects are that one person increases the value of an education. The ivy leagues are good not just because they have great facilities but they have great students and professors. Professors are largely motivated by prestige rather than financial incentives, so a for-profit school that has no prestige would really have to pay quality professors a lot of money. Plus for-profit private schools have trouble attract students. Good students want to go to more prestige private schools. Even a price-sensitive consumer would more likely go to a cheaper public school rather than go to a for-profit school. Good students are essential for a school, otherwise the school can't create a quality curriculum. The difficulty of a class and grades of students is largely based on the quality of the students. Also, a school needs to attract a lot of students in order to create good quality based on economics of scale. So this path dependency makes it difficult for developed nations to change.

I think you can make a quality online class. Granted however, online classes also have a tendency to be low quality since the incentives for cheating are great. I took a few online courses at my university. They were mainly a joke because I could just look up the information to pass the class. I didn't even have to read the lecture notes or do the reading. A simple "ctrl+f" was sufficient. They were also poorly designed as well. I really don't blame them though, because as I stated, you need economics of scale in order to make a quality online class. What you need is an online portion + a person to proctor exams.

Granted, I don't really blame teachers and professors though. It's really hard to be a good public speaker and professors and teachers are given very little prep time. Also the incentives for actually being a good professor are really skewed. Professors are given special treatment for their research, not teaching. Someone who is a genius in his or her field does not necessarily compute to good teaching abilities. For fun, I checked out Paul Krugman's ratings on "rate my professor". He got really low ratings. It's possible a bunch of libertarians who never took a class with him rated him down on purpose, however its really not implausible for a person who is good in his or her field to be a bad teacher.

I don't understand why lectures need to be done in front of a live audience. I thought I was able to absorb a great amount of information watching online lectures. All the lectures are pretty much the same, so why not mass produce it on a global scale? That way our greatest minds can spend their time researching to create better inventions, scientific discoveries and innovation rather than just teaching and grading homework.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
ravi_limaye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 8:37:22 PM
Yes there is need to create good global content. I feel that more people can contribute to the content and it is for the en user to assimilate whatever he can extract from given information. But collaborative efforts are essential
JessieWolters
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 9:46:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/14/2011 1:35:10 PM, ravi_limaye wrote:

Yes! I think so? Because of many different Technical Education the society is now becoming competitive.
"To change your phrase somewhat, I know that I like an art where disparate elements form an entity."
~ James Schuyler
icfmindia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 3:20:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
India has made improvement in terms of increasing the primary knowledge presence rate and growing knowledge to roughly 75 percent of the population.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 1:43:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Public 2-year community colleges provide more than half of all the post-high-school education, and they provide technician-level training. Many of best four year schools in science and technology are private, but there are public schools in the top ranks as well. I think the main problem in the US is the lack of students willing to work hard enough to pursue STEM careers.

I have a friend who is an engineering prof in a grad school in New York. 80% of his students are Chinese and Indian, most from mainland China. Why so many? "They're the only ones who apply." The hope for the US is to change immigration policy so educated people are allowed to stay.
JENNYGUNN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 5:22:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Technical Education is referred to as studies or education around subjects that teach you technical skills. Technology Advancement area unit the new options or something new i.e. Associate in Nursing add on feature associated with technology. As you're aware that the technology field is changing each second. It"s necessary to stay yourself updated concerning the changes and register for brief line of work skills which will offer you sensible active coaching on any technology advancement in your space. Thus, these courses can assist you become employable and find jobs.
http://www.assignmentdone.co.uk...
shirleyjohn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 6:49:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Technical education it important for the student because student develop of mind http://www.aoneassignments.com... also use social media create group and sharing some educational material.
Prettygoodjob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 11:21:31 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Be it an helpfularticle and essay, or perhaps a analysis paper, creating an essay might be burdensome and difficult. The composing procedure is also usually time-ingesting. Writing a thesis document, elaborating on concepts, and properly citing options are a few typical things that individuals usually come across. A dependable solution to this problem is Do Project. Go to the site https://doassignment.net... to learn more.
AlbertBarkley1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 11:44:08 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Technical education has been more popular than the formal education. This is because formal education based jobs are less while technical job based jobs are much available in entire world.
Albert Barkley
SEO Manager
https://www.cheap-essay-writing.co.uk...
prosemania
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 2:13:03 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
As per my notion this is one of the best articles I have ever read. This provides me a lot of information and also enhances the knowledge of readers. This makes me feel cool. Essay Writing Services is thankful to you for sharing such kind information. Essay Writing Pakistan you can find more Research Report Writing from here. I am quite happy to post on this website. I personally suggest all the aspirants to contribute this by sharing and commenting on it.
AlexandraMarr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 9:36:08 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Industry Demands a better Technical Education than ever before and jobs in this new economy require more technical skills than the jobs of the past.

http://www.bestassignmenthelp.co.uk...
adam9876543210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 5:55:44 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
hi...
welcome to the forum site. Technical Education is a main popular education field for the student.