Jump to topic:

iPads in schools?

Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 11:33:14 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Apple boasts about how schools are picking up iPads for use as textbooks.

Am I the only one seeing the flaw here?
Ipads are three times as expensive as Kindles.
Ipads have pointless apps. When my school acquired them, kids downloaded all this stupid sh*t onto them "fart app" or "roast a virtual marshmellow". Meanwhile, kindles just read books.
Ipads are also larger making them hard to carry around.
Kindles have a non lighted (Best way I can describe it) screen. The screen does not hurt your eyes like a computer screen or Ipad screen.

Your opinions?
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 11:47:14 AM
I recall a college once trying to replace all of their heavy, expensive textbooks with Kindles. Everyone loved the idea, but then a judge shot it down. Why? It discriminated against the blind. There was definitely some corporate influence there.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 11:54:57 AM
At 9/18/2011 11:47:14 AM, mongeese wrote:
I recall a college once trying to replace all of their heavy, expensive textbooks with Kindles. Everyone loved the idea, but then a judge shot it down. Why? It discriminated against the blind. There was definitely some corporate influence there.

It actually doesnt, I'm pretty sure kindle can read books aloud. How can the blind read text books?
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 12:13:59 PM
At 9/18/2011 11:54:57 AM, Rockylightning wrote:

It actually doesnt, I'm pretty sure kindle can read books aloud.

Sweet.

How can the blind read text books?

Braille, I guess.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 12:51:55 PM
At 9/18/2011 11:54:57 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
It actually doesnt, I'm pretty sure kindle can read books aloud. How can the blind read text books?

Yeah, but it sounds like Stephen Hawking after his computer's been struck by lightning.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 12:59:13 PM
At 9/18/2011 11:33:14 AM, Rockylightning wrote:

And have far more functions.

Ipads have pointless apps... Meanwhile, kindles just read books.
Students should use both normal computer software and book applications. That's more creative. In my high school, everyone uses a computer. But they also carry tons of books. That's kind of stupid. E-books are better - they don't have to carry too much and have everything disorganized.

That's a non-issue.

Kindles have a non lighted (Best way I can describe it) screen. The screen does not hurt your eyes like a computer screen or Ipad screen.
Neither does a computer screen hurt your eyes. It's just not good to stare too much at anything.

Your opinions?
Tablet computers are light-weight, have many creative programs that people can use for education (it's fun when you have a modern note app and can customize it - better than writing on a paper), etc. The fact that students use random apps that have nothing to do with school is not a very big problem. They need to free their minds a bit. Being forced for over a decade to be taught what you have never been interested in doesn't open your mind the least bit. But browsing Google Maps (like I do sometimes) can refresh your mind in a dull class.

Yes for iPads.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 10:01:47 PM
At 9/18/2011 12:59:13 PM, Mirza wrote:

Which are hardly useful. Honestly, teachers go out of their way to use the ipads, to see if an app could possibly relate to what we're studying.

Students should use both normal computer software and book applications. That's more creative. In my high school, everyone uses a computer. But they also carry tons of books. That's kind of stupid. E-books are better - they don't have to carry too much and have everything disorganized.

Ergo Kindle

That's a non-issue.

A kindle can fit in a backpack more easily. An Ipad is maybe twice the size.

Neither does a computer screen hurt your eyes. It's just not good to stare too much at anything.

I'd rather read a soft, dull kindle screen than a bright (enough light to illuminate a room) ipad for hours upon end.

Your opinions?
Tablet computers are light-weight, have many creative programs that people can use for education (it's fun when you have a modern note app and can customize it - better than writing on a paper), etc. The fact that students use random apps that have nothing to do with school is not a very big problem. They need to free their minds a bit. Being forced for over a decade to be taught what you have never been interested in doesn't open your mind the least bit. But browsing Google Maps (like I do sometimes) can refresh your mind in a dull class.

Yes for iPads.

You're saying getting off task during class, helps...students...learn?
Plus, if your school lets you take it home, its just another method of procrastination.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 2:01:43 AM

That really is unbelievable. Discriminates against the blind!? These people need to think a little.

On the topic of iPads and the like, in NSW the DET has made it the case that all year 9 students get a laptop, a much better device than ipads (more functionality and such) . Of course, I'd endorse the Kindle over the iPad, but with a few alterations (they may already be in-built, but I don't believe they are) :

1. Internet access (yes, can be used for non-work, but strong filtering mostly prevents this and the Internet is a great resource)

2. The ability to type and record notes (very helpful as well)

No to iPads, yes to laptops, yes to an altered Kindle with extra functionality.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 2:39:19 AM
At 9/18/2011 10:01:47 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
Which are hardly useful. Honestly, teachers go out of their way to use the ipads, to see if an app could possibly relate to what we're studying.
Why are the apps hardly useful? There are incredibly many useful apps for educational purposes. Dictionaries, e-books, planning apps, and many more. How is that not useful?

Ergo Kindle
It has a very wide application store too?

A kindle can fit in a backpack more easily. An Ipad is maybe twice the size.
There are zero ergonomic benefits the kindle can bring that the iPad cannot.

http://cdn.digitaltrends.com...

Difference? Not noticeable.

I'd rather read a soft, dull kindle screen than a bright (enough light to illuminate a room) ipad for hours upon end.
That's your opinion, not mine, nor my friends', nor my classmates'. Besides, it is far easier to read on a bright screen than a dark one, especially in classrooms which, for most of the part, are very lit.

You're saying getting off task during class, helps...students...learn?
For one, children in particular are forced to undergo education that they have never been interested in, and that does not suit their specific intellect. This kind of aggression forces children to go through depressing mental states while they are being educated. That's not good.

Secondly, yes it can help students learn. Many times teachers babble about things that nobody understands, and without the teachers' permission, they browse the Web to find information on what they don't understand. This helps them a lot. Moreover, if a person is very bored and unfocused in a class because of the very fact that he is forced to listen to what doesn't suit his intellect, it is very beneficial for him to seek information online about topics he is interested in. That broadens his mind.

Plus, if your school lets you take it home, its just another method of procrastination.
But a kindle makes your computer, television, gaming console, etc., vanish!

Not.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 2:51:12 AM
Logic_on_Rails,

What can you not do on an iPad that you can do on a laptop? I agree that writing is generally easier on a laptop, but it is not too hard to write on a tablet either. Moreover, Windows 8 will have the same functionality on a tablet as it will on a personal computer. Times are moving on. So should education.

Students are still using paper/pencil for notewriting, so that is a non-issue in my opinion. If some tough formulas need to be written somewhere, there is always a paper available. In any case, students can take notes on a paper, scan it and save to their tablet. That's not hard at all.

There are many solutions to making a tablet useful at schools. With our generation, which finds it hard to take care of books etc., letting everyone have a tablet that they take to school, wherein are all their school materials (and I say all), is very beneficial. It is easy to carry, easier to take care of than tons of papers and books, and so forth.

Besides, your objections to a tablet (in opposition to your love for a laptop) are the exact same as those used against laptops in education. Now teachers have become slightly smarter and realized that all-in-one solutions are really what they appear like. You know, the best.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 3:39:14 AM
At 9/19/2011 2:51:12 AM, Mirza wrote:
Logic_on_Rails,

What can you not do on an iPad that you can do on a laptop? I agree that writing is generally easier on a laptop, but it is not too hard to write on a tablet either. Moreover, Windows 8 will have the same functionality on a tablet as it will on a personal computer. Times are moving on. So should education.

Students are still using paper/pencil for notewriting, so that is a non-issue in my opinion. If some tough formulas need to be written somewhere, there is always a paper available. In any case, students can take notes on a paper, scan it and save to their tablet. That's not hard at all.

There are many solutions to making a tablet useful at schools. With our generation, which finds it hard to take care of books etc., letting everyone have a tablet that they take to school, wherein are all their school materials (and I say all), is very beneficial. It is easy to carry, easier to take care of than tons of papers and books, and so forth.

Besides, your objections to a tablet (in opposition to your love for a laptop) are the exact same as those used against laptops in education. Now teachers have become slightly smarter and realized that all-in-one solutions are really what they appear like. You know, the best.

I'll agree that I falsely overemphasised the benefits of laptops and my preference for them over iPads, but still hold the same view, merely a milder version.

The main problem with iPads is currently how they are restricted. To clarify, I mean 1, only applications can be used (as far as I am aware, my knowledge in the field is not what I'd wish it to be) , 2, the iPad doesn't support external devices being plugged in.

The problems with 1 is that the applications aren't developed enough. For example, Adobe products are known to be inferior in their application version as opposed to their desktop or laptop counterparts. Also, what if a certain application hasn't been developed? I think the picture should be clear here.

The problem with 2 is to do with keyboards, yet primarily USBs. We are in agreement over it being easier to type on a laptop, so I won't broach the subject further. On the point of USBs, they allow students easy transportation of essential documents and so forth, meaning the loss of such a facility (as on an iPad) is a negative.

However, like I said before, my knowledge in the area is not up to what I'd wish, so errors may have been made. I'm happy to continue the discussion we have here.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 5:50:19 AM
At 9/19/2011 3:39:14 AM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
The main problem with iPads is currently how they are restricted. To clarify, I mean 1, only applications can be used (as far as I am aware, my knowledge in the field is not what I'd wish it to be) , 2, the iPad doesn't support external devices being plugged in.
No, but technology develops rapidly, and there are other tablets. Notice how I am not talking only about the iPad. I say "tablet." Nonetheless, there is little wrong with a device supporting apps only. Only problem might be software failure, which can result in loss of data. But that is easy to avoid, especially if children get tutored on that. Back-up of data is very easy.

The problems with 1 is that the applications aren't developed enough. For example, Adobe products are known to be inferior in their application version as opposed to their desktop or laptop counterparts. Also, what if a certain application hasn't been developed? I think the picture should be clear here.
There are thousands of different applications. Students should be allowed to choose what suits them best (for say, note-writing, choosing the best of many apps for that is easy).

It is not a problem that many apps for tablets are not as good as those on real pc's. As I said, Windows 8 will be the exact same on a tablet as it will be on a pc. This means that every program that runs on your pc will run the exact same way on your tablet. This means that whatever good apps are used on laptops at schools, the exact same ones will be usable on tablets in about a year, without any noticeable issues.

As for what if a certain application hasn't been developed, I don't understand your question very well. Is it a long-awaited application? In that case I ask, what kind of app would it be? There are multiple fields of apps (education, entertainment... to name a few). There should definitely be good picks for any school and student among all the apps in the different fields.

The problem with 2 is to do with keyboards, yet primarily USBs. We are in agreement over it being easier to type on a laptop, so I won't broach the subject further. On the point of USBs, they allow students easy transportation of essential documents and so forth, meaning the loss of such a facility (as on an iPad) is a negative.
But that's absolutely no problem for a tech enthusiast, which most children are one way or another. It is easy to transfer data to another device, either through e-mail or bluetooth transfer, and so on.

I see tablet computers as a great solution to the fact that students (well, pupils) have hard times keeping their many materials organized. It is also much more beneficial. Children often experience pain because they have to look at the wrong directions in class - and carrying too heavy schoolbags makes it worse when they get home. They get exhausted and too tired to do homework. Therefore, a device which is advanced, has all information in the world that they need, is light-weight, etc., is beneficial and should be encouraged. The minuses are temporary, as with all other things that involve technology.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 6:17:23 AM
At 9/19/2011 5:50:19 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 9/19/2011 3:39:14 AM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
I'll be brief as I must be off to sleep soon.

No, but technology develops rapidly, and there are other tablets. Notice how I am not talking only about the iPad. I say "tablet." Nonetheless, there is little wrong with a device supporting apps only. Only problem might be software failure, which can result in loss of data. But that is easy to avoid, especially if children get tutored on that. Back-up of data is very easy.

2 things here. 1, my first post was on iPads, so I naturally assumed the discussion continued as such. 2, I'm happy to allow technology to improve, but on the point of iPads or another tablet device being installed in schools currently, I would decline in favour of laptops, until problems / limitations of tablets are fixed.

There are thousands of different applications. Students should be allowed to choose what suits them best (for say, note-writing, choosing the best of many apps for that is easy).

Doesn't address the depth of product point which is more important than number of applications. Yes, I can see this being functional yet prefer the laptop.

It is not a problem that many apps for tablets are not as good as those on real pc's. As I said, Windows 8 will be the exact same on a tablet as it will be on a pc. This means that every program that runs on your pc will run the exact same way on your tablet. This means that whatever good apps are used on laptops at schools, the exact same ones will be usable on tablets in about a year, without any noticeable issues.

As for what if a certain application hasn't been developed, I don't understand your question very well. Is it a long-awaited application? In that case I ask, what kind of app would it be? There are multiple fields of apps (education, entertainment... to name a few). There should definitely be good picks for any school and student among all the apps in the different fields.

Missed your critique on the application depth (tiredness on my part) , so I apologise for missing that. I mean here that the number of applications pales in comparison to the number of programs developed, and since the only things currently run on tablets (based on my knowledge of the iPad) are applications, one is severely restricting students by choosing a tablet.

But that's absolutely no problem for a tech enthusiast, which most children are one way or another. It is easy to transfer data to another device, either through e-mail or bluetooth transfer, and so on.

It's not so much a 'problem' as an inconvenience. My friends (who I can assure you are very technically minded) would prefer the USB. Also, the keyboard point isn't addressed.

I see tablet computers as a great solution to the fact that students (well, pupils) have hard times keeping their many materials organized. It is also much more beneficial. Children often experience pain because they have to look at the wrong directions in class - and carrying too heavy schoolbags makes it worse when they get home. They get exhausted and too tired to do homework. Therefore, a device which is advanced, has all information in the world that they need, is light-weight, etc., is beneficial and should be encouraged. The minuses are temporary, as with all other things that involve technology.

Tablets will become a great solution I agree, but the topic is on their present capabilities, which are not currently satisfactory. On the light weight point, until computers result in the complete abolishment in book use (ie. I have to bring books and the DET laptop by department policy) , it actually just increases weight.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 3:41:01 PM
Another monumental waste of tax payer money. All will be non functional in a matter of months in the hands of 6 year olds. Academia, the most moronic, devoid of common sense, dumba@@ collection of individuals on the planet.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 4:29:53 PM
At 9/19/2011 3:41:01 PM, sadolite wrote:
Another monumental waste of tax payer money. All will be non functional in a matter of months in the hands of 6 year olds. Academia, the most moronic, devoid of common sense, dumba@@ collection of individuals on the planet.

Six-year olds? I was thinking this was a discussion for junior high and high school.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 8:36:58 PM
At 9/19/2011 4:29:53 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 9/19/2011 3:41:01 PM, sadolite wrote:

Six-year olds? I was thinking this was a discussion for junior high and high school.

They give them to kindergartners to. Question: Do they get to take them home? I they are, would anyone like to make a wager to the percentage that will be mysteriously lost or stolen? I say 75% if they are allowed to take them home. Which of course is most likely all ready factored in by Apple. What a cash cow of monumental proportions for Apple. Play with your Ipad on your own time and your own dime.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 8:59:22 PM
At 9/19/2011 2:51:12 AM, Mirza wrote:
Logic_on_Rails,

"Students are still using paper/pencil for notewriting"

Um what happens if your note pad doesn't work and you don't know how to write. Sounds to me like a lazy excuse. There realy is no point to engineering study or a degree in engineering anymore. Why study it and learn all the math the hard way. Anyone can go buy an engineering program and all the stresses and tolerences have all been figured out for almost every imaginable configuration out of every material known to man. You can just click on what ever and it will tell you how big, how long, how many, what size, how often you name it in a fraction of a second.

Why bother teaching math the hard way either. Thats all been figured out to. I can google the answer to any math question and give you the answer instanly without knowing a single thing about how to solve the equation.

I'm a genious now thanks to the internet and the computer. But we all know the internet and the computer network will all come crashing down eventually ( You did know that right, It's a matter of when not if) and everyone will be ignorant morons. Unable to write or even solve the most simple mathematical equations.

seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 9:36:59 PM
At 9/19/2011 2:39:19 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 9/18/2011 10:01:47 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
Why are the apps hardly useful? There are incredibly many useful apps for educational purposes. Dictionaries, e-books, planning apps, and many more. How is that not useful?

The question is: Are a few apps worth $250?
visini
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 8:15:15 PM
Well in my school, they are making the transition to iPads, but the iPads are in one specific class only(mainly in English). I think that iPads are better than kindles, because iPads can hold more memory, have internet, and just overall are better. That is just your schools. Yes there are immature people, but me personally, I think that iPads are the way to go instead of textbooks.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 12:22:07 AM
At 10/20/2011 8:15:15 PM, visini wrote:
Well in my school, they are making the transition to iPads, but the iPads are in one specific class only(mainly in English). I think that iPads are better than kindles, because iPads can hold more memory, have internet, and just overall are better. That is just your schools. Yes there are immature people, but me personally, I think that iPads are the way to go instead of textbooks.

THEY HURT
YOUR
EYES
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 5:26:25 PM
At 10/20/2011 8:15:15 PM, visini wrote:

Kindle fire blows IPad into the dust.
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 4:36:23 PM
At 9/18/2011 12:59:13 PM, Mirza wrote:

Such as?

That doesn't conjure the neccesity for an iPad. I can find you many different tablet computers that can do the same functions of an iPad for roughly half the price.

To my knowledge, the new Kindle with a color screen can read books, play movies and much much more. It's more or less a tablet PC.
That's a non-issue.

Your opinions?

They do not need to fresh their minds a bit. It's public education; as in their nuggets of wisdom arecoming out of my paycheck. They ought to pay attention in class and learn rather than playing Angry Birds. If they want to goof off and become unintellectual minions of society, they should do it during lunch or outside of school.
Yes for iPads.
No for iPads.
turn down for h'what