Jump to topic:

Ivy League

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 9:54:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Exactly how beneficial and necessary is it to go to an Ivy League? How hard is it to get in, for any of you who have gone to or go to one? There are too many inconclusive answers on the web.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 9:56:25 PM
I know exactly what you mean.

I REALLY want to go to Columbia, myself.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 9:59:38 PM
At 10/2/2011 9:56:25 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I know exactly what you mean.

I REALLY want to go to Columbia, myself.

Its funny, I have such a stereotypical asian dominated school. I feel inadequate settling for anything less. :/
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:07:08 PM
My parents didn't go to college, let alone an Ivy League school and they turned out fine. I definitely think that hard work and intelligence are vastly more important than a degree. The important thing you'll get from college is the learning. An Ivy League degree looks nice, but over all I don't feel it's very important at all.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:08:17 PM
At 10/2/2011 10:07:08 PM, thett3 wrote:
My parents didn't go to college, let alone an Ivy League school and they turned out fine. I definitely think that hard work and intelligence are vastly more important than a degree. The important thing you'll get from college is the learning. An Ivy League degree looks nice, but over all I don't feel it's very important at all.

So you can still be anything you want without them? Why are they up-talked so much then?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:10:53 PM
At 10/2/2011 10:08:17 PM, 000ike wrote:

So you can still be anything you want without them? Why are they up-talked so much then?

They're uptalked because they're fine and old schools but that doesn't make them necessary. Are you already concerned about college ike?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:11:09 PM

My guess is "because that's the way it is."

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:12:58 PM
At 10/2/2011 10:10:53 PM, thett3 wrote:

They're uptalked because they're fine and old schools but that doesn't make them necessary. Are you already concerned about college ike?

Yeah. I've took a psat in 8th grade, bombed it, and I take another one next week, thats whats making me worry about Ivy Leagues. I heard you have to get a perfect score to get in one.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:16:09 PM
At 10/2/2011 10:12:58 PM, 000ike wrote:

Yeah. I've took a psat in 8th grade, bombed it, and I take another one next week, thats whats making me worry about Ivy Leagues. I heard you have to get a perfect score to get in one.

When it comes to the PSAT practice makes perfect. And yes, getting into an ivy league is incredibly difficult if you aren't a legacy student. For example, my cousin works at Harvard, and when my sister applied for it (she graduated HS in 09) he told us Harvard rejected over 500 applications from valedictorians. It's very, very, very elite.

But just practice, take a class if you want to and your SAT scores will climb. Also join the debate team if possible. (I'm not kidding, the skills in analysis and writing you gain in debate are invaluable)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:16:30 PM

You took a PSAT...in 8th GRADE!? I'm a 10th grader and I'm not taking one yet.

Anyway--every college is different. The Ivies don't all have the same standards.

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:24:44 PM
At 10/2/2011 10:16:30 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Anyway--every college is different. The Ivies don't all have the same standards.

I took an SAT in 7th grade. Not kidding. (it was some weird thing where they got a lot of good math students and had them take it at a young age....how the hell I was selected is a mystery because I suck at math.)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:25:48 PM
At 10/2/2011 10:16:09 PM, thett3 wrote:

When it comes to the PSAT practice makes perfect. And yes, getting into an ivy league is incredibly difficult if you aren't a legacy student. For example, my cousin works at Harvard, and when my sister applied for it (she graduated HS in 09) he told us Harvard rejected over 500 applications from valedictorians. It's very, very, very elite.

But just practice, take a class if you want to and your SAT scores will climb. Also join the debate team if possible. (I'm not kidding, the skills in analysis and writing you gain in debate are invaluable)

Thanks, I'll try. Studying is really among the things I hate most in this world, but I'll give it a go.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:27:23 PM
At 10/2/2011 10:16:30 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

yeah, it was some thing they gave to the kids in honors math. I ended up with a 1400 and something out of 2400. x) Yeah, lets hope I don't get anywhere near that ever again.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:28:35 PM
At 10/2/2011 10:25:48 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 10/2/2011 10:16:09 PM, thett3 wrote:

Thanks, I'll try. Studying is really among the things I hate most in this world, but I'll give it a go.

Are you a freshman?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:29:55 PM
At 10/2/2011 10:28:35 PM, thett3 wrote:

Are you a freshman?

No, sophomore. So far this year sucks, Chemistry is threatening to massacre my GPA.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2011 10:32:52 PM
At 10/2/2011 10:29:55 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 10/2/2011 10:28:35 PM, thett3 wrote:

Are you a freshman?

No, sophomore. So far this year sucks, Chemistry is threatening to massacre my GPA.

I loved sophomore year (the teachers were cooler, the girls were hotter, and my friends were funner than freshman year), but I guess it just depends. I always found that for most people Chemistry concepts are the kind of thing you either understand or you don't. If you have a good teacher than a few after school tutorials should fix all your problems pretty quickly
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 11:23:24 PM
I was accepted into Yale and Brown as an undergrad and U. Penn as a grad student. Each application and/or interview was more difficult than the equivalent pieces for non-ivys, but not impossible. If you are interested in applying, do so.

Having an ivy league degree has opened a number of doors for me. I have had numerous successful interviews in which the interviewer was entranced by my education and the resources (from Brown, anyway) are extraordinary, even now that I am an alumni.

That being said, nothing is more important than finding a school that fits your interests. The ivys generally specialize and you must find a school that is right for you, regardless of its ranking.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 4:58:24 PM
At 10/3/2011 11:23:24 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I was accepted into Yale and Brown as an undergrad and U. Penn as a grad student. Each application and/or interview was more difficult than the equivalent pieces for non-ivys, but not impossible. If you are interested in applying, do so.

Having an ivy league degree has opened a number of doors for me. I have had numerous successful interviews in which the interviewer was entranced by my education and the resources (from Brown, anyway) are extraordinary, even now that I am an alumni. :

That being said, nothing is more important than finding a school that fits your interests. The ivys generally specialize and you must find a school that is right for you, regardless of its ranking.

You are an alumnus, Brown must be slipping ;-)

Yes it opens doors.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 5:32:58 PM
To assume or suggest that Ivy League alumni are "smarter" than the common modality is absurd, but that is the assumption nonetheless. In my estimation it's an overpriced education that's simply not worth the effort.

The benefit, however, is that since people (like employers) have this stubborn notion of ivy league superiority, you are more likely to procure excellent employment simply because you're an ivy league alum.

There's my two cents.... don't spend it all in one place.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2011 12:00:16 PM
There are 8 Ivies.
Apply to all of them and chances are if you are a good student, you will get into at least one of them.

Also, apply to 2-3 regular universities as your backup.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
JuiceSqueeze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 3:40:11 PM
At 10/10/2011 12:00:16 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
There are 8 Ivies.
Apply to all of them and chances are if you are a good student, you will get into at least one of them.

Lol that's crap. Ivy leagues are overrated. Studies have shown again and again Ivy league students make the same $$$ as non-Ivy league grads overall.

only difference is state is way cheaper than private school.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 5:38:31 PM
At 10/21/2011 3:40:11 PM, JuiceSqueeze wrote:
At 10/10/2011 12:00:16 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
There are 8 Ivies.

Lol that's crap. Ivy leagues are overrated. Studies have shown again and again Ivy league students make the same $$$ as non-Ivy league grads overall.

only difference is state is way cheaper than private school.

Uhhh.

"BusinessWeek.com used data from the PayScale report to compare top earning alumni across the nation and found that—even 10 or more years into their careers—graduates of prestigious institutions, especially Ivy League universities, earned the biggest salaries."

http://www.businessweek.com...

That said...

Each Ivy League is different, but they are not the only prestigious schools that exist. Granted, if you do attend an Ivy League, you can guarantee that you will receive the full gamut of benefits resulting from a very strong foundation, a powerful network, a highly credentialed faculty, rigorous academics, and large investments. However, there are very many private schools that provide a very similar experience and bear just as prestigious a name. Examples include NYU, Stanford, UCLA-Berkley, MIT, and CalTech.

It is not necessary to attend an Ivy League or prestigious private institution to be successful, but it is extremely helpful. Whether it's the internships you'll land, the things you'll learn, the activities you'll participate in, or the resources you'll have at your disposal, you will certainly have a better time getting a job after graduating, and likely, a better time studying while you're there. Those that attend such institutions are far more often rich than they are intelligent, making the parties, drugs, and booty quite fantastic and high class.

I've never attended an Ivy League -- I went to NYU, if that counts. It is extremely difficult to get into that institution, and particularly the school to which I applied, which was the College of Arts and Sciences. They reject at least 80% of applicants with a 3.8 GPA or better coming out of high school or transferring, with anyone with anything less receiving an outright rejection--at least, that's what the registrar told me. The minimum score for the SAT (was) a 1200 or something like this. It's clearly much higher, as we now have the SAT II, which is worth more than 1600 points overall.

Usually, they also look for things that make you distinct, such as community service and other extracurricular activities. If you call yourself political, for example, then they will expect you to have engaged in an instituted debate or participated some other political activity.

Of course, your application essay must be impressive and they will test you upon acceptance.

But, like I said, it depends on the school. NYU is a humanities-focused university, so it's easier to get into Tisch, Steinhart, or SCPS than it would be to get into Stern, CAD, or Gallatin. I hear it's easier to get into Colombia Law than it is to get into NYU Law. On the other hand, Harvard focuses more on political science, to my knowledge, so it's probably easier to get into one of their science schools than it would be to get into one of their humanities schools.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 6:28:31 PM
Go to Hillsdale College and get a real college education.

http://www.hillsdale.edu...
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%