Jump to topic:

Unschooling

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 6:15:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
What do you think of it? http://en.wikipedia.org...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 6:55:59 PM
Its not a concept that particularly sells itself. My initial reaction was that it was nonsense, but I don't have the knowledge to decide that.

I feel as if there is a primitive and archaic message on learning in this method. How much do children really absorb from what they see and experience? This method of learning suffices for gaining "common sense," but anything beyond that is lost on the child mind. Does this method suggest that kids should realize that 1 + 1 is 2 just from staring at a couple apples in their kitchen?

I do support, however, the idea that all people learn in different ways. The dumb part is that this truth is only observed on the elementary level, and not in the highschools where its needed most. I'm forced to take 2 hours of history notes every day when I don't learn from notes at all, I learn from memory and reading.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2011 4:25:11 PM
Bumpity bump bump

lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 1:14:53 PM
I think that it is invalid, breeds ignorance, and should by all means be outlawed.
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 1:05:26 AM
The concept of unschooling highlights some issues with the current system, but it isn't a solution. The current system has to stay intact, just be remodelled and changed significantly to achieve an ideal result.

Detectable, try out this page for a small (yes, not that detailed) look into educational philosophy.

Final point, you won't get much for support for unique educational ideas. For example, people complain about the current system, yet won't support reforms such as changing the test marking system (just see my current debate for proof of this...) .
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 6:25:56 AM
Thats an insane idea.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 8:25:01 AM
At 10/12/2011 1:05:26 AM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
The concept of unschooling highlights some issues with the current system, but it isn't a solution. The current system has to stay intact, just be remodelled and changed significantly to achieve an ideal result.

Detectable, try out this page for a small (yes, not that detailed) look into educational philosophy.

Final point, you won't get much for support for unique educational ideas. For example, people complain about the current system, yet won't support reforms such as changing the test marking system (just see my current debate for proof of this...) .

I am confus. Where is this page you speak of?

Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 3:27:34 PM
At 10/15/2011 8:25:01 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 10/12/2011 1:05:26 AM, Logic_on_rails wrote:

I am confus. Where is this page you speak of?

Sorry, forgot to put in the links!

http://oregonstate.edu... (philosophies introduction)

http://www.debate.org... (my debate, not really relevant, yet it shows the difficulty in convincing people to change from the status quo)
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it