Jump to topic:

First dibs to staff with kids?

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 12:19:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
There are certain times of the year, such as the period between Christmas and New Year and the weeks surrounding public holidays, which are in peak demand for employees wishing to book annual leave.

Recently, there have been calls in my company for staff with children to be given first choice of annual leave dates because children's school holidays (periods when schools are closed) are fixed and, also, because festivals such as Christmas, Easter, Halloween and so on are usually focused on the kiddies.

In most developed countries, employees with children already enjoy legal entitlement to benefits such as paid paternity leave, flexible working hours and paid dependency leave: privileges that are not extended to their childless co-workers.

So, should employees with kids also get first dibs on annual leave? What do you think?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 12:25:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/19/2011 12:19:02 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
There are certain times of the year, such as the period between Christmas and New Year and the weeks surrounding public holidays, which are in peak demand for employees wishing to book annual leave.

Recently, there have been calls in my company for staff with children to be given first choice of annual leave dates because children's school holidays (periods when schools are closed) are fixed and, also, because festivals such as Christmas, Easter, Halloween and so on are usually focused on the kiddies.

In most developed countries, employees with children already enjoy legal entitlement to benefits such as paid paternity leave, flexible working hours and paid dependency leave: privileges that are not extended to their childless co-workers.

So, should employees with kids also get first dibs on annual leave? What do you think?

To an extent, sure. For one, it is likely different in England than in the US, (we get un-paid paternaty leave, not paid, unless the company chooses to go above and beyond).

I'd likely say that parents should get a 1 week head start or something. Like if it is company policy that you can request time off upto 6 months in advance, people with kids can requestion 6 months and 1 week in advance, and only on specific holidays.

Though many companies already do stuff like that. When I worked at a call center, we had to work christmas, but they really only needed 1/2 the staff (they actually only needed about 1/10 staff but they thought they needed more), and they gave all the people with kids the day off, and all us kid-less people got stuck working.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"