Jump to topic:

College Advice?

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 4:37:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So, this year I have to choose what college I want to go to. But, the Irish system is a bit more complicated but arguably fairer than Britain or the U.S. Basically, I have 10 choices of college courses for the standard Bachelors. And, they have to be in order of preference. So, if I put History in College A down as my first preference, and, say, Philosophy in College X as my second, and I'm eligible to go to both, I'm given College A, no choice, and that's basically the rest of my life.

That said, there's no personal essay BS, just a straight up grades competition. So, it's somewhat fairer.

Anyway, I'm stuck between two courses. One is History and Economics in what is basically the Harvard/Cambridge-without-fees of Ireland, Trinity. It's prestigious, harder to get into, but not at all flexible and apparently the people verge on snobby as f*ck.

The other option is the less prestigious but probably just as good UCD. Course is a lot easier to get into, apparently the social life rocks, and the degree is flexible. With Trinity, it's straight up History and Economics, but UCD let's me f*ck about with other Arts (inb4 starving arts students, I'm including maths in this f*cking about) modules.

More info. can be found heah (https://myucd.ucd.ie...) and heah (http://www.tcd.ie...).

So, sociable and flexible versus prestigious and focused?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 4:40:16 PM
I vote sociable and flexible.

Sure, one is more prestigious, but once you're there there's no going back.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 8:08:10 PM
Trinity, the disparity between it and other Irish universities is too great.

Trinity, being a historically Brit subsidised university (Parnell administration; b*tch!), is Russell group in quality. Social life is active at ALL universities; don't dumb down your education for a few more laughs, it's only for 3 or 4 years.

I have a deferred place for Medicine at Barts and the London but I'm going to try and get Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge - History for the 2013 entry.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 3:59:07 PM
At 10/31/2011 8:08:10 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
Trinity, the disparity between it and other Irish universities is too great.

Trinity, being a historically Brit subsidised university (Parnell administration; b*tch!), is Russell group in quality. Social life is active at ALL universities; don't dumb down your education for a few more laughs, it's only for 3 or 4 years.

I have a deferred place for Medicine at Barts and the London but I'm going to try and get Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge - History for the 2013 entry.

Trinity is my first choice in anyways. I'm sold on the fact any book published in Britain is automatically sent to Trinitys library.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 4:15:48 PM
At 10/24/2011 4:37:56 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
That said, there's no personal essay BS, just a straight up grades competition. So, it's somewhat fairer.

Uh... no. And there's far more that goes into the US application process.

If Trinity is as much more prestigious as Zetsubou says, go there. If they're pretty close, consider the other one. Do you know people at either place or who are going to either place?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 4:20:14 PM
I can't believe the social life would be lacking at Trinity considering where it's located. It has a beautiful campus, and a prestigious literary archives, isn't it there that i got to see the Irish Declaration of Independence? It's really the only college of note in Ireland with international standing among the Harvards and Oxfords.

Personally, i think it'd be really cool if you were going to Trinity. My college has an exchange program with Trinity, and i knew a lot of students that went over there and absolutely loved it, and conversely lots of Irish kids came to Boston and never left, but that is the way with the Irish and Boston ;-).
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 5:03:39 PM
Why is "sociable" even a consideration? You are there to "learn" not socialize. To me a person who chooses a college based on it's sociable appeal isn't college material and isn't there to learn but avoid facing reality for as long as they can.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:10:54 PM
At 11/8/2011 5:03:39 PM, sadolite wrote:
Why is "sociable" even a consideration? You are there to "learn" not socialize. To me a person who chooses a college based on it's sociable appeal isn't college material and isn't there to learn but avoid facing reality for as long as they can.

Sometimes it isn't what you know, its who you know.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:12:21 PM
At 11/8/2011 4:20:14 PM, innomen wrote:
I can't believe the social life would be lacking at Trinity considering where it's located. It has a beautiful campus, and a prestigious literary archives, isn't it there that i got to see the Irish Declaration of Independence? It's really the only college of note in Ireland with international standing among the Harvards and Oxfords.

Personally, i think it'd be really cool if you were going to Trinity. My college has an exchange program with Trinity, and i knew a lot of students that went over there and absolutely loved it, and conversely lots of Irish kids came to Boston and never left, but that is the way with the Irish and Boston ;-).

I definitely am considering going abroad to in my 3rd year, Australia or America is on the cards :D. Might just go Boston if they can accommodate for my degree.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:13:31 PM
At 11/8/2011 4:15:48 PM, LeafRod wrote:
At 10/24/2011 4:37:56 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Uh... no. And there's far more that goes into the US application process.

I understand that, but people stress the personal essay a lot in the US and UK.

If Trinity is as much more prestigious as Zetsubou says, go there. If they're pretty close, consider the other one. Do you know people at either place or who are going to either place?

As it stands no. Guys from my school will probably end up going there, it just depends on their results in school.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:16:26 PM

Yes, I'm sure you choose to go to a community college because that's the place you can learn the most info right?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:42:45 PM
At 11/9/2011 4:16:26 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Yes, I'm sure you choose to go to ANY college because that's the place you can learn the most info right?

More accurate.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2011 11:04:31 AM
Le plot thickens. After visiting UCD today, I discovered it's economics department is a lot better than Trinitys. Which means at least half my degree will be better in UCD than Trinity.