Jump to topic:

Is College A Scam ?

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:44:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Good evening ladie and gents. Today were are going to talk about school. Now as for me, I was always average like most people when it came to grades and scores.
At first I was an A student back in Kindergarten, 1st grade, and 2nd. But I was not quite as passionate about education once I left middle school. Now here I am, taking some courses in the health care business. It seems to be a very solid field to get into nowadays. I am also looking into business and management, too.
I realize now more than ever that knowledge is power. Even at 30, which works to my advantage. But anyway, what about those who are in debt after school.
They get a job at Wal Mart, when they realize that they were not able to capitalize on the best of opportunities with a degree. They are not doing better than their parents, and now they have to go back and live with mom and dad for a while.
Now you see that you wasted 4 years of your life getting involved into something that is not even there anymore. And of course, you have to pay them back, and all of this is happening when we are in a critical state of depression.
Is college a scam ?
What do you think ?
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 11:47:02 AM
At 10/27/2011 9:44:19 AM, inferno wrote:
Good evening ladie and gents. Today were are going to talk about school. Now as for me, I was always average like most people when it came to grades and scores.
At first I was an A student back in Kindergarten, 1st grade, and 2nd. But I was not quite as passionate about education once I left middle school. Now here I am, taking some courses in the health care business. It seems to be a very solid field to get into nowadays. I am also looking into business and management, too.
I realize now more than ever that knowledge is power. Even at 30, which works to my advantage. But anyway, what about those who are in debt after school.
They get a job at Wal Mart, when they realize that they were not able to capitalize on the best of opportunities with a degree. They are not doing better than their parents, and now they have to go back and live with mom and dad for a while.
Now you see that you wasted 4 years of your life getting involved into something that is not even there anymore. And of course, you have to pay them back, and all of this is happening when we are in a critical state of depression.
Is college a scam ?
What do you think ?

I was able to prosper as a knowledge worker by self training and knowing the right people. If you're like me, college would have been, was or is an obstacle. I'm thankfully I don't have college debt to pay off.

College can shelter you from the real world. My wife got a masters degree in writing. She thought she was doing everything right. She had always been told to "get a good education". Appearntly, she was able to get a student loan to study writing as easily as anyone else. It wasn't clear to her at the time that spending a lot of money and time leaning how to write poems wasn't a safe investment. After obtaining her expensive masters degree, she could barely get a job as an administrative assistent. She would eventually work her way up the ladder but she burned out fast. The corporate world was not for her. She was in her thirties by the time she learned all this.

I have a high regard for education. However, for a lot of people, its an obsticle to success. Given all that, I don't mind it when people become more educated than they need to be for a sucessful career. I know my wife is a much better mother than she would have been if she only had a highschool education. There are intangible benefits to education that are realized outside the workplace.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 5:31:15 PM
If you want to get laid, go to college.

If you want an education, go to a library.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
marcuscato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 10:41:09 PM
At 10/27/2011 5:31:15 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

sigged
JessieWolters
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 9:42:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/27/2011 5:31:15 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

I agree with you!
"To change your phrase somewhat, I know that I like an art where disparate elements form an entity."
~ James Schuyler
matthewrobins620
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 2:26:26 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I guess that college education is a must it gives you a glimpse of professionalism before you enter in the real world. But the key is that while you enroll in a college degree program you should check the college credits and also whether the college is accredited or not.
Regards,
http://www.institutesofcollegecredits.com...
kawaii_crazy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 9:44:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
no
"Being called weird is like being called Limited Edition. Meaning you're something people don't see that often." -Ashley Purdy

Please help raise money for a Christmas gift for airmax (although he is Jewish, as YYW pointed out). He is in desperate need of a new laptop, and he has done so much for this site; he certainly deserves one. :)
http://www.debate.org...
kawaii_crazy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 9:45:16 PM
no its not
"Being called weird is like being called Limited Edition. Meaning you're something people don't see that often." -Ashley Purdy

Please help raise money for a Christmas gift for airmax (although he is Jewish, as YYW pointed out). He is in desperate need of a new laptop, and he has done so much for this site; he certainly deserves one. :)
JessieWolters
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 10:00:03 PM
Is college a scam ?
What do you think ?

I can't figure it out!
"To change your phrase somewhat, I know that I like an art where disparate elements form an entity."
~ James Schuyler
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 8:39:02 PM
At 12/9/2013 2:26:26 AM, matthewrobins620 wrote:
I guess that college education is a must it gives you a glimpse of professionalism before you enter in the real world. But the key is that while you enroll in a college degree program you should check the college credits and also whether the college is accredited or not.
Regards,
http://www.institutesofcollegecredits.com...

"I guess that college education is a must it gives you a glimpse of professionalism"

It gives a glimpse of political correctness in the work place maybe but professionalism? Snort gag choke lol
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
kawaii_crazy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 9:05:23 PM
no

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 2:04:37 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/4/2016 1:21:46 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
I am 69% uncertain.

What is it with you and 69 lol?
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 12:06:16 AM
Is college a scam ?
What do you think ?

College is not a scam, sort of...You can learn all of everything you need for whatever you want without a curriculum. What a college sells, is
A) Preorganized study
B) Formal commitment
C) ACCREDITATION

If you don't need a degree from a reputable school to go ahead in the career in your choice, then you don't need college. Simple as that. That said, you don't know where you will be looking forward. Both my parents got college degrees that they didn't use. One is working her dream job, and getting paid decently in a completely unrelated field that she self learned in. The other, studied to be an engineer, was broke after college and took the first job that came along. It took his his entire career 4 year degree finally helped him have the credentials required for his current job, but he has never actually worked a position his degree is applicable in. So, one of my parents greatly benefited from college later in life after a couple decades and doesn't regret it. The other, got scammed, but doesn't regret it.

On the flip side I've seen people who are unable to find good work that went overboard on their loans have a lot of issues. A lot of people have nothing but the shirt on their back by the time they get through school.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Madlax6416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 2:08:35 PM
It's not a scam. There's plenty of agendas, but not many are hidden. A college is a business first and a school second. The job market and salaries haven't been a secret for years. I think it's more dependent on the person themselves. I have an education degree and landed a job as a teacher 6 months after graduation fairly easily. I noticed a lot of my college friends had an unrealistic sense of of themselves and money. A lot moved off campus, taking out loans they didn't need, ate out a lot, had their own car, and traveled because they didn't have student loans to pay at the time. They paid nothing out of pocket while they were there except for their textbooks, cap, and gown. Now they're looking at $90,000 to pay back in 10 years on a starting salary of $20.00/hr for 8 hours a day. It's poor planning mostly.

I'll admit, I was one of the lucky ones. My dad didn't go to college, but my mother did. She's an accountant and understood loans and did all that for me, but she still explained what she was doing and why with the loans being taken out in my name. I had a job, but saved my money and didn't splurge it. I went to a school I could afford. It was close to home so when my mom lost her job, I commuted to school to save money instead of taking out another loan. I built my resume by tutoring at local public schools and doing well during student observations. My GPA was 3.5. I enjoyed college and partied and drank and did all that stuff, but I PLANNED. Not many people know how or even know to do that or have someone at least explain to them like I did. I think if a lot of people thought more about the loans, payments, interest, and job outlooks, a lot less people would be where they are in terms of student loan debt.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 5:40:55 AM
The difference in lifetime earning between people with and without a college degree is still greater than the cost of getting a college degree by an enormous margin in most cases, so no it's not currently a scam. Having said that, it's best to not spend a ton of money on your education.

For most people, rather than gunning right through 4+ years of an expensive program you have to finance via debt, it might be better to pick up an associate's degree in something practical and then build on your education over time by taking various courses in the same field, or in business, etc.

Of course, if you have the grades or ability to finance your education via scholarships/ bursaries, then by all means go for the expensive degree.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Ubermensch-Tsoa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 2:18:10 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Is college a scam ?
What do you think ?

It depends on what you go to college for.
TMcKenna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 4:00:27 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Is college a scam ?
What do you think ?

Inferno,

College is by no means a scam. In this day of age most employers will not even interview you if you do not have a college degree. Knowledge is power, but it is the students responsibility to seek out internships and jobs. It is by no means the colleges fault that the student was not proactive enough to choose a job that pays more than Walmart. Another fact is that all colleges have different tuition. You were not forced to take out a loan from the college. Perhaps it would have been a better decision to choose a more affordable college.

Regards,

TMcKenna
TMcKenna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 4:01:41 PM
Inferno,

College is by no means a scam. In this day of age most employers will not even interview you if you do not have a college degree. Knowledge is power, but it is the students responsibility to seek out internships and jobs. It is by no means the colleges fault that the student was not proactive enough to choose a job that pays more than Walmart. Another fact is that all colleges have different tuition. You were not forced to take out a loan from the college. Perhaps it would have been a better decision to choose a more affordable college.

Regards,

TMcKenna
danieljorden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 11:19:49 AM
There"s more than that old typecast obtainable on here. People are opening to more generally recognize that higher education is a scam, an setup.
marrywilliams84
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 6:19:24 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
College education is necessary for your life if you are educated then you will increase your knowledege and experties in your field it is my suggession http://www.1clickdissertation.co.uk...
SummerHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 8:09:01 AM
College education to me holds the key to a successful career and a brighter future. With a college education, you are more likely to become financially stable in the long run. Having a college or higher education can also equip a person with better life skills and improves an individual's quality of life. I know that college life can be not so bright a lot of paper works but it teaches us how to overcome all obstacles. I recall how I had to make 3 essay in 3 days. I used https://www.essayhelp.org... writing service (cheating but I had to). I totally support college education because of its many benefits.
alisemi9182
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 12:09:11 PM
Is college a scam ?
What do you think ?

College is not for getting knowledge but for degree.
You can get knowledge from your home but you can't get degree from your home.
Now a day, degree became more important than knowledge.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 6:36:45 PM
At 10/30/2016 12:09:11 PM, alisemi9182 wrote:
Is college a scam ?
What do you think ?

Thank you. Of course you do realize my perspective have changed over time with this. Education opens the doorway to success.
gilkai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2016 11:43:52 AM
Posted: 3 weeks ago

Your conclusion is so flawed it hurts. Knowledge is much more important than a degree by miles. Why do you need a degree? You can learn much faster without it and get working experience much faster as well. Companies dont want employees that parrot their professors, they want people that know how to think for themselves.
Markz28
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 9:01:49 PM
At 11/12/2016 11:43:52 AM, gilkai wrote:

Your conclusion is so flawed it hurts. Knowledge is much more important than a degree by miles. Why do you need a degree? You can learn much faster without it and get working experience much faster as well. Companies dont want employees that parrot their professors, they want people that know how to think for themselves.

Indeed. There is too much useless and unpractical information you have to learn in college. You can gather more valuable knowledge much faster by just taking action and learning by yourself
indigo17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 1:39:21 AM
These days what matters when you are gonna get a job is experience. Sometimes no matter how hard you studied or for how long they put more weight in experience which most of students don't have. Meaning that you waist more than 4 years studying to have a job that you are no gonna get for the lack of experience. You end with more than 4 years of your life waisted and big student loan.
MasterJames
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 8:24:50 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
If college would be scam then a lot of people would be scamed. Also rich people who pay a lot of money for their sons or daughters would get scamed which is very unlikely.
Maybe it's just you