Send a Message
5/11/2009 12:29:25 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
- Manly P. Hall
- A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Thomas Paine
- Carl Jung

I made this list without naming any contemporary philosophers.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2009 12:31:10 PM
At 5/11/2009 12:29:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
- Manly P. Hall
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Thomas Paine
- Carl Jung

ALL NEW WORLD CONSPIRACY THEORISTS! RUN FOR THE HILLS, THE JEWS, CLINTON'S AND MASONS ARE ABOUT TO TAKE OVER! (not caps)
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2009 1:00:40 PM
EDIT:

1. Friedrich Nietzsche
2. Baruch Spinoza
3. Ayn Rand
4. Jean-Paul Sartre
5. John Locke
6. Thomas Hobbes

Yeah, that's 6. So what.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2009 1:02:16 PM
- Manly P. Hall
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Thomas Paine
- Carl Jung

*Raises Eyebrow*

Hmm. Maybe you should have.
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2009 1:48:30 PM
At 5/11/2009 1:02:16 PM, theLwerd wrote:
- Manly P. Hall
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Thomas Paine
- Carl Jung

*Raises Eyebrow*

Hmm. Maybe you should have.

Sure, though it might be controversial as to whether they are philosophers, they certainly possess profound philosophical concepts in their works which greatly impacts my view of reality.

- David Icke
- Michael Tsarion
- David Wilcock
- Michio Kaku
- Gregg Braden

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2009 10:34:44 AM
At 5/12/2009 7:35:18 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Noted.

I just don't approve of your list(s) because those people use recycled bad logic.

What? Michio K. is considered todays Einstein and Tsarion is a descendant of a long line of philosophers and visionaries. The people in my first list you should have no problem with. Who specifically are you referring to and how so?

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2009 6:22:18 PM
At 5/12/2009 2:10:45 PM, LB628 wrote:
1: John Stuart Mill
2: John Locke
3: Voltaire
4: Immanuel Kant
5: Jean-Jacques Rousseau

A Barack Obama supporter whose favorite philosopher is JSM? I'd have thought you'd be a flaming Libertarian. And John Locke is cool; I dig the whole Social Contract and Personal Identity thing. Voltaire is awesome. Lol @ Rousseau and W.T.F. at Kant?!
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2009 7:29:27 PM
At 5/12/2009 10:34:44 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Noted.

I just don't approve of your list(s) because those people use recycled bad logic.

What? Michio K. is considered todays Einstein and Tsarion is a descendant of a long line of philosophers and visionaries. The people in my first list you should have no problem with. Who specifically are you referring to and how so?

String Theory is pretty cool. I'll give you that ;P

Tsarion's lecture on symbolism was interesting, but some of what he says is far fetched... I'm not terribly fond of most Eastern philosophy and I'm skeptical of most New Age things. Don't fret, however -- I take a lot of hallucinogens so maybe it'll all become clear to me sometime soon ; )

President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2009 7:54:12 PM
1. Nietzsche
2. Sartre
3. Voltaire
4. Rand
5. Dennett

6. Popper ; ) Had to.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
LB628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2009 7:56:08 PM
At 5/12/2009 6:22:18 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 5/12/2009 2:10:45 PM, LB628 wrote:
1: John Stuart Mill
2: John Locke
3: Voltaire
4: Immanuel Kant
5: Jean-Jacques Rousseau

A Barack Obama supporter whose favorite philosopher is JSM? I'd have thought you'd be a flaming Libertarian. And John Locke is cool; I dig the whole Social Contract and Personal Identity thing. Voltaire is awesome. Lol @ Rousseau and W.T.F. at Kant?!

I am kind of a half-libertarian. I like the social ideas, freedom from societal constraint. The economics, not so much, because it seems like they only really work if humans are intelligent. Which they tend not to be.
As for Kant, he has some very interesting ideas, and I think the whole A Priori, A Posteriori thing was quite possibly the most important thing that happened for epistemology. So, not Kant on the ethics, but the knowledge arguments.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2009 11:11:51 PM
I don't think libertarians like John Stuart Mill.... we don't really like utilitarianism ; )
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2009 12:15:34 AM
At 5/12/2009 11:11:51 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
I don't think libertarians like John Stuart Mill.... we don't really like utilitarianism ; )

I simply meant that his essay On Liberty contained a lot of libertarian ideas, or at least promoted the concept of individual liberty (even if his ideas on economic and politics are off; they are rooted in morally libertarian ideas).

He admits that government involvement would probably lead to inefficiency, but even if it didn't, it would still deplete at least some freedom. He promotes free consensus via debate (he opposes the tyranny of the majority). He thinks that "free individuals" will serve as an example to those in society to promote their want for "freedom" as well. I agree with this. I mean, even drug dealers in the hood sell dope to make a profit. Nevermind the morality behind their profession - that's another issue :P

Anyway, Mill finds problems with liberalism and addresses them. This is similar to how I am. For instance, in a "perfect world" or rather a different world (different going-ons of the time in society), of course I wouldn't support the existence of, say, a border fence or even minimum wage (which you know I support). However, I acknowledge that things are the way they are -- I can only hope libertarian goals/ideology promote change amongst the masses that will allow society to progress and be more free. My interpretation of Mill says that he agrees with me lol... or rather, vice versa.
President of DDO
LB628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2009 4:21:48 AM
At 5/12/2009 11:17:54 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Then doesn't that make you a liberal, LB628?

Kind of. I accept the libertarian ideas that personal liberty will almost always be more important than the goals of society, except in the occasions where the liberty is minor and the goal relatively major (the assault weapons ban for instance). And I accept the idea that, socially at least, government restrictions tend to be a bad idea.
So, in areas that are more pragmatic, economics for instance, I tend to be more liberal, while in ideological areas I am more libertarian.
This kind of describes it. http://en.wikipedia.org...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2009 5:44:09 AM
I'll add in my list to this, though it isn't quite as impressive or thought out as others.

1. John Rawls
2. Fyodor Dostoyevsky
3. Vissarion Belinsky
4. John Stuart Mill
5. David Hume
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2009 12:45:31 PM
At 5/13/2009 4:21:48 AM, LB628 wrote:
At 5/12/2009 11:17:54 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Then doesn't that make you a liberal, LB628?

Kind of. I accept the libertarian ideas that personal liberty will almost always be more important than the goals of society, except in the occasions where the liberty is minor and the goal relatively major (the assault weapons ban for instance). And I accept the idea that, socially at least, government restrictions tend to be a bad idea.
So, in areas that are more pragmatic, economics for instance, I tend to be more liberal, while in ideological areas I am more libertarian.
This kind of describes it. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Yep. Makes sense : )

I always get called (or "rated") a Leftist Libertarian.
President of DDO
Brewmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2009 2:54:41 PM
No respect for the classics here!

1.) PLATO
2.) John Dewey
3.) David Hume
4.) John Locke
5.)

Number 5 intentionally left blank, because it's a toss-up between so many people. The first 4 have actually influenced my life directly, everyone for number 5 was going to be for one random thing or another. I ALMOST put Emerson, just because of his essay "The American Scholar" which I highly recommend reading if you have not. I think it should be required reading for philosophy students trying to bridge the gap between the ivory tower and real life.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2009 12:50:51 AM
I actually don't have any on my mind, so I'll throw some in for now. It's very possible that it can be changed once I think more on this. Oh, and not in any order of importance.

1. J.L. Mackie
2. John Locke/Thomas Hobbes (currently juggling in my mind)
3. David Hume
4. Daniel Dennett!
5. AHH I CAN'T THINK OF ONE! Nietzsche has awesome an aphoric writing style, but his ideas are ehhhh.
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 10:08:21 PM
I know this thread has been dead for some time, but wanted to add my faves for... posterity?

1. Bertrand Russell
2. Walter Kaufmann
3. Nietzsche
4. Dennett
5. Popper
Don't I take care of them all?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 2:11:08 PM
At 6/17/2009 10:08:21 PM, brittwaller wrote:
I know this thread has been dead for some time, but wanted to add my faves for... posterity?

1. Bertrand Russell
2. Walter Kaufmann
3. Nietzsche
4. Dennett
5. Popper

Very nice.
President of DDO
brycef
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 3:24:53 PM
Noted.

You're the one who listed Rand.