Jump to topic:

grading system

epicuriousluxurious
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 9:08:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't about any of you guys, but I feel like the grading system (ABCD) contains way too many flaws. I've gotten 89.4s as my overall grade for some classes and in my school it would be weighted as a 3.0 even though 80 would also be weighted as a 3.0. This is so unfair, it takes so much work to earn a B+ than a B-, but they are weighted the same.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 7:28:29 PM
Sounds pretty ridiculous, why not just take the percentage ranking (the 89.4s) as scores and the 80s as scores? The though, I'm not from America (from Australia) .

Of course, grading is a small, minor technical issue from an evaluation standpoint. Firstly, tests must be made to a difficulty to reflect with what the grades are supposed to reflect, otherwise the grades are not serving their purpose. In practice, this is not done effectively and tests vary in difficulty by more than they should.

Secondly, the test marking system is totally flawed. See my debate on confidence assessment marking for a better system. Also, criteria based assessment often limits the testing of understanding on a holistic level, although there are practical reasons for this.

Put simply, grading systems are a minor issue, but that won't stop students from complaining about them. Fix the steps leading to grades first.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2011 7:11:05 AM
At 11/22/2011 9:08:55 PM, epicuriousluxurious wrote:
I don't about any of you guys, but I feel like the grading system (ABCD) contains way too many flaws. I've gotten 89.4s as my overall grade for some classes and in my school it would be weighted as a 3.0 even though 80 would also be weighted as a 3.0. This is so unfair, it takes so much work to earn a B+ than a B-, but they are weighted the same.

LOL gee and it used to be 93 was an A....so you ally deserve just the B you got. Whats unfair is that 90 is an A and an 80 is good enough to move on with honor.
epicuriousluxurious
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2011 8:58:23 PM
At 11/24/2011 7:11:05 AM, logicrules wrote:

LOL gee and it used to be 93 was an A....so you ally deserve just the B you got. Whats unfair is that 90 is an A and an 80 is good enough to move on with honor.

It can be seen both ways, and who are you to tell me that I deserved a B?
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2011 3:47:13 AM
At 11/24/2011 8:58:23 PM, epicuriousluxurious wrote:
At 11/24/2011 7:11:05 AM, logicrules wrote:

It can be seen both ways, and who are you to tell me that I deserved a B?

Obviously I was mistaken. Seems the B may be high, as contextual literacy may be an issue.
epicuriousluxurious
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2011 4:22:54 AM
I apologize, from face value it seemed somewhat insulting- I was raised to believe that an A was only good. I did misread your comment for I thought it was intended to offend me.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 4:52:14 PM

Like they say in boxing. "Don't let the ref decide the outcome" Just get an "A" anything less is a halfassed attempt.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2011 5:54:43 AM

Is this high school?
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2011 5:57:25 AM
If this is high school, don't all your final grades end up as either ABCD regardless whether you have a + or a -. At my high school if I got B+ straight through 3 quarters by final grade would be a B on my transcript anyways. If this is college you got something to complain about, but in high school ehhh not so much.
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2011 4:07:05 PM
If you're in high school, there's not really anything you can do about it, but if you're in college, you've got something to complain about.

At NCSU, the points system works like this:

A+ = 4.3
A = 4.0
A- = 3.6

and so on.
When Reach fell, I came.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 11:05:49 PM
I almost took a class with a professor who used a really terrible grading system. He said that an A was supposed to mean you were in the top 10% of the class or some B.S. There were 50 kids in the class. He said he would give out 5 A's, 10 B's, 15 C's and everyone else D's (the remaining 20 people), unless they earned failing grades overall in which case they would receive an F. However, this system sucks because it doesn't take into account what grade the student earned at all, instead just making us compete against each other for the top spots. I dunno wtf this old guy was talking about. I ultimately decided to drop the class after the first day.
President of DDO
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 11:48:38 PM
At 12/7/2011 11:05:49 PM, Danielle wrote:
I almost took a class with a professor who used a really terrible grading system. He said that an A was supposed to mean you were in the top 10% of the class or some B.S. There were 50 kids in the class. He said he would give out 5 A's, 10 B's, 15 C's and everyone else D's (the remaining 20 people), unless they earned failing grades overall in which case they would receive an F. However, this system sucks because it doesn't take into account what grade the student earned at all, instead just making us compete against each other for the top spots. I dunno wtf this old guy was talking about. I ultimately decided to drop the class after the first day.

The problem is that most college classes (at least at my school) are graded on bell curves, meaning that I am competing for As in almost every single class I have. I am not sure I understand this fascination with failing people. If I earn a 95, I expect an A, regardless of whether or not 100 other people also received the same grade. Professors seem to be against the notion that people should receive equal grades.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 9:49:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/7/2011 11:05:49 PM, Danielle wrote:
I almost took a class with a professor who used a really terrible grading system. He said that an A was supposed to mean you were in the top 10% of the class or some B.S. ...

Ah, that's the traditional, meaning pre-1970's, system. When I went to school, the top 10% were A's, the next 20% B's, and the remaining 70% were C or below. D/F were maybe 10%.

A guy in my dorm entered as a freshman and got a PhD in mathematics three years later. He had all A's except for a single B, in archeology. The archeology Prof said he knew an A paper when he saw one, and he only saw one every couple of years.
danlighter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 11:59:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Grades are standardized measurements of varying levels of comprehension within a subject area. Grades can be assigned in letters (for example, A, B, C, D, or F), as a range, as a number out of a possible total (for example out of 20 or 100), as descriptors (excellent, great, satisfactory, needs improvement), in percentages, or, as is common in some post-secondary institutions in some countries, as a Grade Point Average (GPA). GPA is calculated by taking the number of grade points a student earned in a given period of time divided by the total number of credits taken.The GPA can be used by potential employers or further post-secondary institutions to assess and compare applicants.
[url=http://www.ezdia.com...]Struts2 Jquery[/url]
Elgin health care education