Jump to topic:

Fraternity

Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2011 6:21:14 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Has anyone here ever joined a fraternity, what was your experience, was it worth it, and was it of any use to you in the future?

I was thinking about rushing a fraternity that's why a professional one, not the party ones. (though I have thought really hard about the party ones, but the hazing seems like something I don't want to do)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2011 1:37:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/2/2011 6:21:14 AM, Loserboi wrote:
Has anyone here ever joined a fraternity, what was your experience, was it worth it, and was it of any use to you in the future?

I was thinking about rushing a fraternity that's why a professional one, not the party ones. (though I have thought really hard about the party ones, but the hazing seems like something I don't want to do)

I'm in a social (the party ones lol) co-ed fraternity. My experience with it has been positive and negative, but mostly positive. I do think it was overall a beneficial experience, but everyone's experience is different and only you know your priorities and values. Also, my frat is a very unique and special one. A lot of the circumstances and especially dynamics are different from most other Greek organizations, which is why I think my experience would be a lot different from yours.

Positives:

- Meeting People (friends, lovers, acquaintances)
- Networking (for jobs and otherwise)
- Establishing strong bonds (doesn't require a frat, but it's a unique connection)
- Encouraged to participate in community service and charity work (usually requirements)
- Awesome parties!!!
- Amazing memories; experienced things I NEVER would have otherwise
- Opportunity to make positive changes
- The Frat House (we could live and/or party there)
- Extracurricular activity to put on your resume (especially if you hold a position)
- Learned how to deal with issues and communicate with people in a certain setting... I can't really explain it, but it was definitely great life experience

Negatives:

- Dues (even though mine are really cheap in comparison to most)
- Surprisingly, there are a lot of politics among frats just like most groups :P
- People all up in your biznass
- You can lose sight of what's important and fall behind on academics (though most have a mandatory minimum GPA, study hours, etc.)

- Worst of all, pledging...

However! Some people say pledging can be positive albeit grueling experience, and I actually agree with that sentiment having gone through it. Of course it depends on the type of hazing. I do think if it's done with good intentions, responsibly and not with malice, that it could be useful to both the organization and individual.

I know a lot of people I know say they took a lot of personal growth and valuable lessons from the pledging process. Maybe that's just what we tell ourselves to make ourselves feel better for agreeing to be minions for X amount of weeks ;) But naw, I do think it could be helpful. It's not that bad, and it doesn't last that long. Besides, one thing I always consider is that pledging is not forced upon anybody. The second you think it's gone too far, you can simply walk away.

Hope this helps :)
President of DDO