Jump to topic:

My English teacher is an idiot

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 5:56:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is how my grade in English is calculated.
25% Homework
25% Quiz
50% test, essay

Strike 1: if homework is worth as much as a quiz, if you miss ONE homework and get a 0,....your grade is screwed permanently, like if our homework was to bring The Great Gatsby to class, and it slipped my mind, thats the same as getting a blank 0 on a quiz...

Strike 2: When she checks homework she gives you a 95 in her gradebook instead of a 100. When us students asked her why she does that, she said, and I quote:
" I don't know if what you wrote is worth a 100, and I don't have the time to read it, so...."

Strike 3: When we learn vocabulary words, we spend a good 15 minutes of class time "identifying which words are positive, negative, and neutral..." You're an intelligent audience, I think you can see why thats an obvious waste of class time..

Strike 4: She has a warped perception of plagiarism. If you forget to add Quotes but you still cited the source, thats plagiarism, and she'll report you. You will be suspended, fail the assignment and fail the marking period.

If this goes on in schools all over America, then its no wonder we're dropping like a lead weight in global ranking of education.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 6:13:04 PM
The approaches taken by your teacher seem somewhat draconian (2,3,4) . On (1) , presumably the total marks of all the year's homework equates to 25% of your grade. It wouldn't work any other way as then the marks couldn't possibly add up right.

I do find 2,3,4 stupid beyond belief. 2 and 4 are plain teacher idiocy. 3 is indicative of flawed educational practice. Indeed, 1 needs to know the effect of words (ie. explain what a negative word vs. a neutral word does) , and much of persuasive speaking is about choosing emotionally charged words. Nevertheless, wasting time every lesson, plus not assuming any form of intelligence on the students part is a serious flaw.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 6:55:45 PM
At 12/16/2011 5:56:14 PM, 000ike wrote:

Strike 2: When she checks homework she gives you a 95 in her gradebook instead of a 100. When us students asked her why she does that, she said, and I quote:
" I don't know if what you wrote is worth a 100, and I don't have the time to read it, so...."

lmao That's hilarious and infuriating.

Strike 4: She has a warped perception of plagiarism. If you forget to add Quotes but you still cited the source, thats plagiarism, and she'll report you. You will be suspended, fail the assignment and fail the marking period.

She actually has an accurate perception of plagiarism lol Whether or not her punishment is suitable for your grade level is a different story... but unless you've paraphrased (and studies show that even many university professors don't know how to properly paraphrase) you have to put quotation marks around it. In both cases you have to cite.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 7:01:11 PM
At 12/16/2011 6:55:45 PM, nonentity wrote:

She actually has an accurate perception of plagiarism lol Whether or not her punishment is suitable for your grade level is a different story... but unless you've paraphrased (and studies show that even many university professors don't know how to properly paraphrase) you have to put quotation marks around it. In both cases you have to cite.

No, plagiarism is not citing the source but using a quote/idea. Quote marks are not enough. You need the speaker, preferably in Harvard system of citation.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 7:20:53 PM
At 12/16/2011 7:01:11 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

No, plagiarism is not citing the source but using a quote/idea. Quote marks are not enough. You need the speaker, preferably in Harvard system of citation.

I never said quotation marks were enough.

The following taken from

Robinson-Zañartu, C., Peña, E. D., Cook-Morales, V., Peña, A. M., Afshani, R., & Nguyen, L. (2005). Academic crime and punishment: Faculty members' perceptions of and responses to plagiarism. School Psychology Quarterly, 20, 318-337.

For decades,
guidelines have defined plagiarism broadly as the public misrepresentations of
work as original, or any activity in which a person knowingly or unknowingly
and for some form of gain, represents the work of another as his/her own
(Decoo, 2002; Lindey, 1952; Office of Research Integrity [ORI], 1994; Office of
Science and Technology Policy, 2000). Martin (1994) specifies multiple kinds of
plagiarism, from plagiarism of authorship (whole documents) to word-for-word
plagiarism (unacknowledged use of whole phrases or paragraphs), paraphrasing
plagiarism, and plagiarism of secondary sources

By citing the source but not putting quotation marks, you are implying you came up with those words yourself (ie. paraphrased). If they aren't your own words, and you haven't put quotation marks, that is plagiarism.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 4:35:15 AM
25% Homework
25% Quiz
50% test, essay

Strike 1: if homework is worth as much as a quiz, if you miss ONE homework and get a 0,....your grade is screwed permanently, like if our homework was to bring The Great Gatsby to class, and it slipped my mind, thats the same as getting a blank 0 on a quiz...

Strike 3: When we learn vocabulary words, we spend a good 15 minutes of class time "identifying which words are positive, negative, and neutral..." You're an intelligent audience, I think you can see why thats an obvious waste of class time..

If this goes on in schools all over America, then its no wonder we're dropping like a lead weight in global ranking of education.

LOL you silly child. Perhaps you should just fail
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 4:37:12 AM
At 12/16/2011 7:01:11 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 12/16/2011 6:55:45 PM, nonentity wrote:

LOL the Harvard system of citation....What the hell is that? More to the Point, who cares? Blue Book Citation is the academic and professional standard.
CAPLlock
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 4:38:18 AM
25% Homework
25% Quiz
50% test, essay

Get a friend and Duct tape her car
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 11:27:20 AM
25% Homework
25% Quiz
50% test, essay

Strike 1: if homework is worth as much as a quiz, if you miss ONE homework and get a 0,....your grade is screwed permanently, like if our homework was to bring The Great Gatsby to class, and it slipped my mind, that's the same as getting a blank 0 on a quiz...

I'm with you on 2 and 3

Number 1 not so much. If I go to my job site and forget to bring my tools, I get $0

Number 4 not so much. If I forget to tighten a bolt or secure something properly, I get sued for damages caused by my neglect.

School is nothing more than preparing for real life. Being half a$$ed and forgetful with regard to what ever you are doing will show it's results and consequences in school and in the real world. Look at 2 and 3 as govt regulation to a business.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 11:32:53 AM
At 12/18/2011 11:27:20 AM, sadolite wrote:
25% Homework
25% Quiz
50% test, essay

Strike 1: if homework is worth as much as a quiz, if you miss ONE homework and get a 0,....your grade is screwed permanently, like if our homework was to bring The Great Gatsby to class, and it slipped my mind, that's the same as getting a blank 0 on a quiz...

I'm with you on 2 and 3

Number 1 not so much. If I go to my job site and forget to bring my tools, I get $0

Number 4 not so much. If I forget to tighten a bolt or secure something properly, I get sued for damages caused by my neglect.

School is nothing more than preparing for real life. Being half a$$ed and forgetful with regard to what ever you are doing will show it's results and consequences in school and in the real world. Look at 2 and 3 as govt regulation to a business.

Number 2 would taxes and number three would be govt regulation
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%