Jump to topic:

College/University

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 8:30:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Just wanted to start a discussion on this. I'm getting to the point where I have to decide, and I'm curious on everyone else's stories involve this point of their lives.

So if you've gone to college, where did you go? Why? Did you like it? What'd you major in? Did it change?

Advice for selecting colleges? What do you think are good colleges?

For those in the process, what are you thinking? In terms of school? Major?
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 3:53:09 AM
Hopefully an oxbridge for me :D
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 6:04:12 AM
At 12/19/2011 8:30:20 PM, M.Torres wrote:
Just wanted to start a discussion on this. I'm getting to the point where I have to decide, and I'm curious on everyone else's stories involve this point of their lives.

So if you've gone to college, where did you go? Why? Did you like it? What'd you major in? Did it change?

For those in the process, what are you thinking? In terms of school? Major?

Choose the best college or University you can afford. Do not worry to much about a major as that will probably change. This, of course, assumes you have the ability to learn college level material. Avoid junior colleges if you can. Better to graduate from College of Podunk than to flunk out of Harvard.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 9:05:36 AM
At 12/19/2011 8:30:20 PM, M.Torres wrote:

I attend Rutgers University and I love it.

To be honest, I forgot to apply to my top schools in time lol (BU, BC). I only applied to 2 other schools, and though I received scholarships there, I considered RU to be the best of the three. My parents also decided to move to New Jersey the year that I was headed off to college, meaning I could still go away to school but not be too far from home. My major is Labor Studies and Employment Relations/ Human Resources. My minor is Philosophy.

Most importantly, consider the cost of college. I was told to attend the best school I got into regardless of the cost. That's stupid. If I could do it all over again, I'd attend community college for the first two years and complete my Gen Eds. Community college classes tend to be easier than university classes, so you'll have an easier time getting better grades. In most cases, universities accept a lot of CC Gen Eds. I'd check with the university to see and make sure which CC credits they accept.

After doing that, I'd transfer all of my credits to the university. Most times the university requires you to complete all classes for your Major at their school. This would have saved me a lot of money and made my life a heck of a lot easier (say by taking my worst subject, math, at CC instead of RU). The classes there are probably also a lot smaller and more personal. This of course depends on which university you go to and the classes you take.

As far as going away to school, I absolutely loved it and had some of the best times of my life living in the dorms or off-campus but away from home (in my own apartment/s). However it did cost me a sh!t ton of money completely unnecessarily. It all depends on what you can afford and what your values are. I'm unsure I would trade my experiences to save a few bucks (because life experience is invaluable), but that would probably be the smart thing to do. Perhaps you can stay at home and go to a local CC for the first year or two - which is smart cuz 18 y/o's are just babies and will inevitably get into some kinda trouble, most likely, if they're pushed out of the comfy nest too soon.

Anyway, as far as advice for selecting colleges, I agree with the above poster that you shouldn't stress too much over your major as that will very likely change. I must have changed my majors at least three times and most people I know people have done the same. You should pick a school to graduate from that has a decent reputation, particularly for the field you plan on going into. You should also consider cost, how far away from home it is, the geography (in terms of climate, whether or not it's close to a city if that's important to you, transportation options, etc.). Mostly you should think about what you value in a school and pick the school that best meets the criteria. For me, that was Rutgers.
President of DDO
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 1:08:12 PM
The concept of "good" colleges is garbage. Go where you want, where you think you'll take advantage of the location, or perhaps some of the special aspects of the school. Look into the social life. These things vary much more from school to school than what you learn in your classes.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 1:23:04 PM
I somewhat agree with leafrod. For colleges, while there are a few that are highly well know for particular majors (Math and Science at MIT or Caltech, and Law at Harvard and Yale), for the most part, all colleges are on the same platform. You just want to make sure you don't go to one with a bad program in what you want. But for engineering, or biology, or business, or accounting, or fine arts, or whatever, there is not much difference between schools.

In which case, you want to pick one that has an atmosphere that is most condusive to you and your way of learning. If you need to chow down a pizza while studying for a test and some kind of weird ritual, then make sure there are several pizza places near school.

With these it is best to visit the schools. I'd like to recommend going out of state and broaden your experiences, but also know your limitations (don't kill yourself with debt to do so).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 3:01:26 PM
I don't even think law is really a major. And the thing about math and science is that they don't change depending on where you go to school. Especially for undergraduates. You'll be doing the same thing no matter where you go.

What everyone needs to remember that the school someone goes to should never be taken as evidence of how capable someone is. It happens all the time and it really bothers me.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 4:47:53 PM
Choose the best college or University you can afford. Do not worry to much about a major as that will probably change. This, of course, assumes you have the ability to learn college level material. Avoid junior colleges if you can. Better to graduate from College of Podunk than to flunk out of Harvard.

People who don't like CC's are the ones who can not accept the fact; that they got ripped off attending a university the first two years. You can save about 20k getting your Associates at a CC.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 7:56:21 PM
I attend the University of Texas at Arlington as a music major and I'm loving it. While UTA isn't regarded as having the best music program in Texas, it has the best program for me. The faculty members are great, they teach in a way that clicks better with me. Plus, we are right next to the Rangers ballpark and Cowboys' stadium which has its own perks. So really it isn't about what everyone thinks is best, it's about what's best for you. It's pretty cliche but it holds true.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 7:58:18 PM
At 12/20/2011 7:56:21 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:
I attend the University of Texas at Arlington as a music major and I'm loving it. While UTA isn't regarded as having the best music program in Texas, it has the best program for me. The faculty members are great, they teach in a way that clicks better with me. Plus, we are right next to the Rangers ballpark and Cowboys' stadium which has its own perks. So really it isn't about what everyone thinks is best, it's about what's best for you. It's pretty cliche but it holds true.

+100 forum points for rhyming
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 8:05:18 PM
I was a poet and didn't even make the discovery that I was until a later point.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 8:25:15 PM
At 12/20/2011 8:05:18 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:
I was a poet and didn't even make the discovery that I was until a later point.

I see what you di- wait a minute...
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 8:44:12 PM
If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want to get an education, go to a library.

Though, you can educate yourself in a library and still get laid if you are a charming devil such as myself.

Actually experiencing the real world also helps as far as education goes. Too many wankers go to college and seem to come out knowing jack shiet. I don't take someone seriously unless they demonstrate that they have knowledge. Even a moron can get a college degree.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 11:46:41 PM
At 12/20/2011 8:44:12 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want to get an education, go to a library.

Though, you can educate yourself in a library and still get laid if you are a charming devil such as myself.

Actually experiencing the real world also helps as far as education goes. Too many wankers go to college and seem to come out knowing jack shiet. I don't take someone seriously unless they demonstrate that they have knowledge. Even a moron can get a college degree.

While that may be true, in some careers it's more about who you know rather than what you know, and college is one of the best ways to get your name out there.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 2:35:33 PM
Of course there is far more to it than douchey sayings will make you think. You will learn a lot in college and you will learn far more beyond the classroom as well. The same people who like to say things like "all you'll learn in college is to get laid, go to a library" are probably the same people who were too socially inept to make anything out of their own college experiences beyond the classroom... in which, by the way, you also learn tons of stuff that you could learn on your own, but certainly not as well.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2014 3:05:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/20/2011 8:44:12 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Miss this guy ^
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
ahqaf
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 10:55:41 PM
At first i make a top level class list.
Methodist College Kuala Lumpur. i really like this college. Because the study environment is really fit for me.
Clarkschneider
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 1:46:18 AM
this is a very interesting topic to talk about.
you can get enroll in any college or university if you are interested in having a better and secure future so that you get any job you want as per your needs because quality education is an asset and one needs to complete his or her education before getting into any profession.
http://www.writengine.com...
mohit.rath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 2:12:08 AM
GLA University aims to be the rapid growing university of academic excellence by focusing on its education, research and developments. This university is totally student centric and aims for the overall growth of the students. Its motive is to impart best education as per the current growing socio-economic need. This University is UGC and AICTE approved. Brand Academy declared this university as the most promicing one. It provides best faculty from across the world which aims to groom the students in a perfect way so that they can be fit for any organization of the world. Industrial visits, guest lectures, workshops and special personality grooming programs are its key features which rank it above other universities. Placements over here are good and students are placed in top business firms. This university has separate research cell which helps the students a lot in research works.