Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

PSAT Class

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 10:20:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
You read that right. There is a course at my school that specifically teaches the PSAT/NMSQT. I honestly don't know whether to take it or not.

PROs: Obviously, if one scores high enough on the PSAT, then one becomes a National Merit Semifinalist or a National Merit Finalist, then I have a much better shot at getting into the college that I want. And, before you object, I think that there is a better than average chance of me being a National Merit Semifinalist. I have a rather good score for a freshman (I'm not certain, but it's probably in the 1650-1700 range) and this class will certainly help increase the score.

CONs: What's in this class is probably not already in a book someplace. Also, this class takes two semesters to complete in a block schedule (my school is in the block schedule format, FYI), so I could use the time that would be ordinarily spent in that class in two different classes that could help me out in the real world. In addition, I have heard that there is not a lot of learning in that class, which is a turnoff for me. I would rather have a class with a strict teacher teaching me something than a class devoted to watching movies.

So, should I take it?
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 10:48:11 AM
I say no. The cons outweigh the pros.

Also, block scheduling sucks.
I always thought I'd be
the picture saved on your screen.
Now it's of something else;
what does that even mean?

- Hannah Diamond, "Fade Away"
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 11:00:58 AM
I wouldn't take it. Although if you feel that it can give you the final push in becoming a merit scholar, do it. That will save your family literally thousands of dollars.

I missed merit scholar :( but I did pretty well!
DDO Vice President

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

"You're a moron. Get some proof you liberal wacko" - Me before being banned from Yahoo Answers, 2008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 11:57:46 AM
From my personal experiences, I suggest after-class studies; I can't really study for the PSAT/SAT effectively but often need after-class (Saturday). I find just repetively going over packets of SAT questions with some studying in free time and sporadic mid-term and final exams very effective and they have improved my SAT/PSAT scores far more than had I just practiced with my books at home, alone.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau