Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

helpless

sadolite
Posts: 8,834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 7:56:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Working in the home remodeling and construction industry, I come in contact with many highly educated and wealthy people.

The one thing that strikes me so often is that the vast majority are utterly helpless and ignorant when it comes to anything outside their field of study. I try to explain the most rudimentary things that I will be doing in order to get input on preferences and their eyes just glaze over. Is this what college is about, single minded myopic knowledge in one field? The less educated are far more pleasurable to work with they know everything to the last detail about what they want and a whole hell of a lot less snotty to. Nothing against going to college mind you but this seems the norm as far as my observations go. The more educated the dumber they are. I've never been to college so maybe some of you who have can clue me in on this, what I believe to be disturbing observation about highly educated people. Book smart, but without a book, helpless.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 8:03:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'd say combination of confirmation bias and its just that they know different things then you do. You work in construction right? Well, my guess is that those with higher incomes can afford to have hire repairmen and stuff, so could be possibly more ignorant about this stuff, while those with lower income cannot afford to, so they know more about this.

However, there are certainly other things that they know that you probably do not.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 9:13:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's good to have general knowledge about stuff, but I'd rather excel at one thing than be okay in 5 things. What makes you think they're helpless? If you go to get a suit tailored and you know nothing about clothing, but your tailor asks your opinion, would you say you're helpless?
sadolite
Posts: 8,834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 10:02:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/10/2012 9:13:56 PM, nonentity wrote:
It's good to have general knowledge about stuff, but I'd rather excel at one thing than be okay in 5 things. What makes you think they're helpless? If you go to get a suit tailored and you know nothing about clothing, but your tailor asks your opinion, would you say you're helpless?

I am talking about things like do you want a square or round, or higher or lower lighter or darker, Things like that. Rudemantry child like questions
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 2:21:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/10/2012 7:56:50 PM, sadolite wrote:
Working in the home remodeling and construction industry, I come in contact with many highly educated and wealthy people.

The one thing that strikes me so often is that the vast majority are utterly helpless and ignorant when it comes to anything outside their field of study. I try to explain the most rudimentary things that I will be doing in order to get input on preferences and their eyes just glaze over. Is this what college is about, single minded myopic knowledge in one field? The less educated are far more pleasurable to work with they know everything to the last detail about what they want and a whole hell of a lot less snotty to. Nothing against going to college mind you but this seems the norm as far as my observations go. The more educated the dumber they are. I've never been to college so maybe some of you who have can clue me in on this, what I believe to be disturbing observation about highly educated people. Book smart, but without a book, helpless.

I've been in college for almost a decade. I've met about one person during that time that is going for the same reason I am: to increase knowledge. Everybody else I talk to, and I always ask, is going to develop a career/make money.

If you want to be successful, then the key is to become "myopic," because you need a niche to exploit or you are not economically viable. Pursuing an interdisciplinary education is extremely unprofitable.
Rob
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 10:01:31 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/13/2012 10:02:11 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/10/2012 9:13:56 PM, nonentity wrote:
It's good to have general knowledge about stuff, but I'd rather excel at one thing than be okay in 5 things. What makes you think they're helpless? If you go to get a suit tailored and you know nothing about clothing, but your tailor asks your opinion, would you say you're helpless?

I am talking about things like do you want a square or round, or higher or lower lighter or darker, Things like that. Rudemantry child like questions

Okay so let's continue with my suit analogy. Let's say you go to purchase a suit. You know nothing about fashion, but when they ask "would you like a double-breasted pocket?" you say "yes". "Blue or black?" you say "black". You might not care.

An educated person who knows about fashion but not the particulars might not want to make those types of decisions. Similarly, there are trends with architecture and interior design... Just because someone might make a quicker decision because they don't care about trends doesn't mean they're smarter.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 7:28:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/10/2012 7:56:50 PM, sadolite wrote:
Working in the home remodeling and construction industry, I come in contact with many highly educated and wealthy people.

The one thing that strikes me so often is that the vast majority are utterly helpless and ignorant when it comes to anything outside their field of study. I try to explain the most rudimentary things that I will be doing in order to get input on preferences and their eyes just glaze over. Is this what college is about, single minded myopic knowledge in one field? The less educated are far more pleasurable to work with they know everything to the last detail about what they want and a whole hell of a lot less snotty to. Nothing against going to college mind you but this seems the norm as far as my observations go. The more educated the dumber they are. I've never been to college so maybe some of you who have can clue me in on this, what I believe to be disturbing observation about highly educated people. Book smart, but without a book, helpless.

General knowledge diminishes when technical knowledge becomes specialized, because you're applying a lot more time and thought into that specific topic.

You better pray it stays that way; it's why you get business.