High School Start Time

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 5:38:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Can we put this issue to rest for once?

Does anyone have concrete evidence of higher performance, safety, or health at a later start time?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 2:16:17 PM
At 1/21/2012 5:38:54 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Can we put this issue to rest for once?

Does anyone have concrete evidence of higher performance, safety, or health at a later start time?

Well, considering I fall asleep in 2-3 classes each day because I have to wake up at 5:45 AM, I'm pretty sure starting later would help.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 4:00:44 PM
Read pg. 59-64 of Dr. Karl Kruszelnicki's book Please Explain if you want to get a greater insight into the issue.

Basically, the period of adolescence changes the body clock so that people fall asleep later (if I remember, this is due to the later release of melatonin) . This, in addition to the fact that adolescents need about 9-10 hours of sleep is good reason to start schools later (other practical reasons like work hours aside) . They won't be tired till late, yet will then have to wake up at a time that will give them sleep deprivation given current school times.

And the effects of sleep deprivation are severe. For example, Dr Mary Carskadon of Brown Medical School conducted a study into REM sleep with teenagers. Normally REM sleep occurs 70-100 minutes into sleep. However, about half the teenage high school students in the study, when given the opportunity to sleep mid-morning, dropped into REM sleep within a few minutes (!) , not an hour and a half later.

Of course, I personally don't find it too big an issue (I'm in what should be the affected age bracket) , but it does take discipline to marshall one's sleep.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 1:53:12 PM
At 1/21/2012 4:00:44 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
Read pg. 59-64 of Dr. Karl Kruszelnicki's book Please Explain if you want to get a greater insight into the issue.

Basically, the period of adolescence changes the body clock so that people fall asleep later (if I remember, this is due to the later release of melatonin) . This, in addition to the fact that adolescents need about 9-10 hours of sleep is good reason to start schools later (other practical reasons like work hours aside) . They won't be tired till late, yet will then have to wake up at a time that will give them sleep deprivation given current school times.

And the effects of sleep deprivation are severe. For example, Dr Mary Carskadon of Brown Medical School conducted a study into REM sleep with teenagers. Normally REM sleep occurs 70-100 minutes into sleep. However, about half the teenage high school students in the study, when given the opportunity to sleep mid-morning, dropped into REM sleep within a few minutes (!) , not an hour and a half later.

Of course, I personally don't find it too big an issue (I'm in what should be the affected age bracket) , but it does take discipline to marshall one's sleep.

Thank you very much for the analysis and the book recommendation!
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.