Jump to topic:

Poor quality of Japanese universities

goldman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 6:11:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I found an interesting opinion posted in the ``Letters to the Editor`` of the``Japan Times``the other day.(January 26, 2012) In the letter Dipak Basu points out that ``not -so- prestigeous private universities, because of high tuition and other fees, cannot attract Japanese students anymore. These factors have nothing to do with academic standards in Japanese schools or university system.`` I disagree with his opinion. The core of the problem is the poor quality of the teachers. The reason why many not- so- prestigeous private universities can not attract Japanese students is that professors who have poor academic knowledge and inferior research ability are teaching at those academic institutions. They do not work hard and lack in passion to teach the importance of exploring new academic knowlege in their lectures. The main reason is that they are hired by human connection with the manager or trustee of those institutions. In the U.S. those who are engaged in higher academic education are required to write a academic paper at regular intervals. We often hear famous phrase like ``Publish or Perish.`` However, in Japan no rules or regulations which are equivalent to that of the U.S. do not exist. Therefore, many professors at private universities are less agressive in research and study. They are lazy. We can find lazy teachers at many public and national universities at the same time. They are contributing to degrading academic standards and quality in Japanese universities.
When we take this situation into consideration, I believe that academic standard in Japan will fall drastically in the near future. I hope someone will post comment on my opinion.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 12:16:55 PM
No, the japanese educational system is broken to begin with. Highly broken, though this is not necessarily centered around the educational system alone. I thank my parents for moving to Canada so that i can be raised here in this educational system instead of in Japan(Yes, im japanese)

First off, the utter lack of leaping. If you are amazingly bright, no matter how smart you are, you cannot skip a grade. You are forced to waste years learning stuff that you already understand.

Secondly, this stupid method of hiring people while they are still in university and the even more stupid problem of decreased chance of finding work after you graduate. Seriously, not only does this not make sense, its a waste.

My cousin is in Japan, and he has not been able to find work, so he stayed enrolled in school as a TA helping a proffessor. But, guess what. Not only does he have to help out, but, unlike the TAs in other countries, he has to PAY MONEY to stay a TA. Damn retarded if you ask me.

Seriously, i love japan and i go there frequently, but its turning into a nightmare there. Idiot politicians, idiot prime ministers who cant seem to hold onto office for more than a year or two, Amakudari, and other stupid godawful stuff.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 12:09:21 AM
Interesting. I don't know enough to have an opinion.

What I often hear is that learning in Japan is done in high school and that college is many to establish a social network useful in later employment.

Another common notion is that everyone wants to go to Tokyo University as first choice. That's in about every other anime produced.

Any truth to these?

The US college system is in a downward spiral, but that's a different topic.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 9:38:35 AM
At 2/14/2012 12:09:21 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Interesting. I don't know enough to have an opinion.

What I often hear is that learning in Japan is done in high school and that college is many to establish a social network useful in later employment.

Another common notion is that everyone wants to go to Tokyo University as first choice. That's in about every other anime produced.

Any truth to these?

As i said before, your workplace is usually determined before you graduate university, and it becomes severely hard to find work after youve graduated. Yes, being in a prestigious university gives you better work options. And thanks to the fact that you enter university via examination and not your grades in high school, this encourages people to keep trying to enter the university of their choice.

And yes, in japanese universities, although you learn some useful information, this is mainly restricted to the sciences. You can make useful connections but usually only by joining after-school clubs, of which there are A LOT in every university.

The US college system is in a downward spiral, but that's a different topic.

Wouldnt know, i graduated from a canadian university.... :(
goldman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 5:25:15 AM
I want to add my opinion. Tokyo University is the most prestigeous university in Japan. The graduates of the university can find a job at high ranking position at many ministries of Japanese government. They are Foreign Ministry, Economic and Industry Ministry, Law Ministry and others. It is not too much to say that high growth economy which Japan enjoyed after World War Second was attained by the economic and industrial policy designed and managed by their efforts and creativity.
Those who graduated from Tokyo University are playing leading role in every field of academic world. In particular, essays and papers written by them are academic, persuasive and stimulating. In my opinion the reason is that they understand deeply and correctly what they have to express their opinion and ideas in their professional fields. They are contributing to upgrading the academic standard not only in Japan but in the world.
DBose2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2013 1:41:24 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am not sure whether you have direct experience of Japanese universities. If you are not fluent in Japanese, you cannot have that because even in private universities most courses are in Japanese.
I was in a Japanese private university and in a public university ( National & very well known).
In the private university, there are two types of faculty members: PQ and AQ.
PQ are those who have no PhDs but they used to be Japanese Ambassadors to important countries, represented Japan in the World Bank, IMF etc and heads of important departments of major Japanese banks and corporations.
AQs are all PhD from leading universities like London, Sydney, Glasgow, Monash, Michigan, Singapore, Hitotsubashi, Tokyo, Osaka, Nagasaki, Kyshu etc
They publish mainly with the Japanese journals or they publish books in Japanese, which you cannot read.
You may think all universities outside the Anglo-American world are rubbish ( because World Ranking Industry does not consider them), but that is not the reality at all.
High cost of the Japanese private universities ( Tuition fees are at least three times more than that in public universities ) and now even in public universities ( because of dire economic situation in Japan when most parents are unable to borrow at least 12 to 15 Million Yen ( 120,000 to 160,000 US Dollars) to pay for their children even in the low cost public universities.
Some public universities opened evening classes for those who are employed. I have among my students road-side security guards or construction workers who have told me that their parents could not borrow 12 or 13 million Yen so they have to take jobs after leaving senior high school and with the money they have saved from their employments they could come to the universities.
They cannot dream of going to the private universities as that would cost at least 20 Million Yen ( 200,000 US $) for a degree.
The solution is the abolition of tuition fees as it is the case in the European ( including the former USSR but excluding England) universities.