Jump to topic:

Questions about College Board

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2009 6:37:05 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
This morning, I took the SAT II Math II subject test, and I was wondering: What if you don't cancel the score by Wednesday and then you find out your score is really bad. I mean, can you still cancel it? If not, can you tell them not to sent that score to colleges? Or if not even that, if you take the same test against, does the previous score disappear for the colleges? I am very confused about this whole matter, and the counselors at my school are incompetent.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2009 8:41:51 PM
No. Once the deadline to cancel it has passed, it has passed. It would be useless as a test if you could cancel bad scores after you were told they were bad. The cancellation feature is only useful, I'd say, if you intuitively know you did poorly without having to look at the scores, and think you can improve on it in a manner worth the time and other costs of retaking it. It's designed for people to make up for days they were feeling "off" or whatever, not for people to game the system.

You can find a school that doesn't care about your SAT II scores (much more feasible than say SAT I of course), but otherwise, you'll have to cancel it now or deal with it.

Or at least, that was my initial reaction, and what would make sense. However, they appear to have gone carebear on your arse. If your parents will pay for the additional testing, anyway.

Feel free to take advantage of this loophole that rapes the purpose of the test.

http://www.collegeboard.com...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2009 12:22:24 AM
At 6/6/2009 8:41:51 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Or at least, that was my initial reaction, and what would make sense. However, they appear to have gone carebear on your arse. If your parents will pay for the additional testing, anyway.

Feel free to take advantage of this loophole that rapes the purpose of the test.

http://www.collegeboard.com...

Wait. So what's the point of ever canceling any test with this new Score Choice thing as long as you're taking one test at a time? Anyway, I guess I won't cancel my score as it seems rather pointless. I think I did well, but I am really uncertain.

Thanks Ragnar! :D
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2009 12:36:00 AM
Be careful man. At great shock to me, some educational institutions still have enough integrity to stop this nonsense. Figure out what colleges you are after.

http://www.newsweek.com...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2009 12:46:18 AM
Whether they have any means to enforce that remains to be seen.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2009 12:09:49 PM
At 6/7/2009 12:36:00 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Be careful man. At great shock to me, some educational institutions still have enough integrity to stop this nonsense. Figure out what colleges you are after.

http://www.newsweek.com...

After some thought, I don't think I'll cancel my score regardless. I only skipped three questions (I hear you can skip six or seven for the Math II subject test and still acquire a near-perfect score), and I'm pretty confident in all my other answers.

Besides, I really doubt colleges care if a student who takes the Math II as a sophomore retakes the test.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2009 12:49:37 PM
Well, yeah, if you get a crappy score as a sophomore, they'll discount it lol.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2009 3:11:04 PM
At 6/7/2009 12:49:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Was that sarcasm?
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2009 3:15:10 PM
What is all this crap, fancy special tests and whatnot? I took the regular ole SAT and ACT the fall of my senior year and scored a 1280 and 32 respectively. It got me into the best University in Florida.

tl;dr Stop being an over achiever.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2009 3:17:08 PM
At 6/7/2009 3:11:04 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 6/7/2009 12:49:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Was that sarcasm?

nope.

And that wasn't either.

And neither was that.

Etc, and no, that wasn't sarcastic.

See what a silly question that was? The answer to that is guaranteed to look sarcastic, and every clarification thereafter will make it look more sarcastic. ^_^.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2009 3:34:46 PM
At 6/7/2009 3:15:10 PM, s0m31john wrote:
What is all this crap, fancy special tests and whatnot? I took the regular ole SAT and ACT the fall of my senior year and scored a 1280 and 32 respectively. It got me into the best University in Florida.

To get into any of the UCs (i.e. California public universities) or many private schools you have to at least take two subject tests.

You got a 1280 on the SAT?! Lulz.
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2009 6:28:00 PM
At 6/7/2009 3:34:46 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 6/7/2009 3:15:10 PM, s0m31john wrote:

To get into any of the UCs (i.e. California public universities) or many private schools you have to at least take two subject tests.

You got a 1280 on the SAT?! Lulz.

Don't be hating. Guess what it got me? 100% paid tuition for 8 semesters.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2009 7:34:50 PM
I got a 2060, would have been a 1440 by the old system ( My weakest score was writing, probably because my essay was illegible lol).

Didn't take any subject tests, but took 5 AP's, and got 4 on all of them.

And still have to go to community college, because I'm a mix of lazy and politically extreme non-leftist, and those both show up in GPA lol.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2009 7:48:33 PM
At 6/7/2009 7:34:50 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
And still have to go to community college, because I'm a mix of lazy and politically extreme non-leftist, and those both show up in GPA lol.

How would extreme non-leftist-ness affect GPA?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2009 8:54:42 PM
You try writing an essay in any social sciences or your average English class (Or hell, even in health class oddly enough) without at least pretending to be either far left or mainstream, and having the ethics to match those politics. ^_^.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2009 8:56:37 PM
Note that you must do it in a metropolitan area of an unequivocal blue state to qualify for the "Be Ragnar as a student" challenge.
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2009 9:11:05 PM
Just turn poor and you'll get grants thrown at you from left and right. For my first year at UF I'm getting $18,000, and because I have free housing and food stamps I will get to keep a significant portion of that money to do with whatever I want.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 7:38:07 AM
At 6/26/2009 10:18:08 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I scored a 730.
Out of 800? Or out of 1600?
I'm wondering if I should retake it this October.

If of 800, you did fine. Otherwise, you should definitely retake.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2009 2:13:55 PM
I know what Ragnar means with the essays and all. I live in Minnesota and the last time we didn't vote for a democratic president was Nixon, and that was because Kennedy was Catholic!
iamadragon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 7:15:16 AM
At 6/26/2009 10:18:08 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I scored a 730.

I'm wondering if I should retake it this October.

Assuming you're good at math (you're Asian, right?) you should retake it. Getting an 800 is not relatively hard. You can miss 6 questions and leave 2 blank and get an 800.