Total Posts:62|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What is your oppinion on death penalty?

Group_nice
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 4:24:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hi everybody who reads this!
We have made a group concerning our theme week. We have a project task to do, and it is about death penalty in the U.S.A. We want to know all about how you guys feel. Our group is against death penalty, but still we want to hear your opinions. How does the legalization of death penalty have an effect on your society in the U.S.A. Are you guys more satisfied about murderers getting what they "deserve" or are you guys just sad about it? Just write down everything you feel. And of course if you don't want to share then it is okay.
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 12:23:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 4:24:06 AM, Group_nice wrote:
Hi everybody who reads this!
We have made a group concerning our theme week. We have a project task to do, and it is about death penalty in the U.S.A. We want to know all about how you guys feel. Our group is against death penalty, but still we want to hear your opinions. How does the legalization of death penalty have an effect on your society in the U.S.A. Are you guys more satisfied about murderers getting what they "deserve" or are you guys just sad about it? Just write down everything you feel. And of course if you don't want to share then it is okay.

I think it should only be used on people who post the same thread six different times because they are attention whores.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Group_nice
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 1:16:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/3/2012 12:23:00 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 2/2/2012 4:24:06 AM, Group nice wrote:
Hi everybody who reads this!
We have made a group concerning our theme week. We have a project task to do, and it is about death penalty in the U.S.A. We want to know all about how you guys feel. Our group is against death penalty, but still we want to hear your opinions. How does the legalization of death penalty have an effect on your society in the U.S.A. Are you guys more satisfied about murderers getting what they "deserve" or are you guys just sad about it? Just write down everything you feel. And of course if you don't want to share then it is okay.

I think it should only be used on people who post the same thread six different times because they are attention whores.

You know what? If you don't like that we have posted this several times, then don't comment on this. We are not attention whores, this is actually very important it's school work, we are not just some people who just posts this in our spare time. And if we are attention whores, then you are too.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 4:02:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/3/2012 1:16:50 PM, Group_nice wrote:
At 2/3/2012 12:23:00 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 2/2/2012 4:24:06 AM, Group nice wrote:
Hi everybody who reads this!
We have made a group concerning our theme week. We have a project task to do, and it is about death penalty in the U.S.A. We want to know all about how you guys feel. Our group is against death penalty, but still we want to hear your opinions. How does the legalization of death penalty have an effect on your society in the U.S.A. Are you guys more satisfied about murderers getting what they "deserve" or are you guys just sad about it? Just write down everything you feel. And of course if you don't want to share then it is okay.

I think it should only be used on people who post the same thread six different times because they are attention whores.

You know what? If you don't like that we have posted this several times, then don't comment on this. We are not attention whores, this is actually very important it's school work, we are not just some people who just posts this in our spare time. And if we are attention whores, then you are too.

Alright, his mistake. You guys are spammers just using this website to get others to do your work for you.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 4:03:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
If you want people to talk about this, put it on the right thread. If they don't fine, try again next week.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2012 1:44:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Kill those motherfvckers.

But seriously, we need to reform the system. There are too many legal loopholes and due processes that force the cost to go up. Let's go back to plain simple executions.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 12:08:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/5/2012 1:44:33 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Kill those motherfvckers.

But seriously, we need to reform the system. There are too many legal loopholes and due processes that force the cost to go up. Let's go back to plain simple executions.

Due process exists so we don't kill the innocent. Would you destroy the Constitution in the name of Justice?
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
buelg
Posts: 79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 12:47:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hm, I think that using violence is not the best way. You know, everyone says that but still they don't fallow it so... Maybe they can compromise with each other and see that the both who had gotten disadvantage and the troublemaker are both happy with the ending.
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 6:50:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/8/2012 6:08:06 PM, mrbusy wrote:
Death penalty exists for criminals. why is any innocent people interested in protecting their so-called rights?

Because the innocent have been put to death for crimes they did not commit.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 4:21:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think its sad that we even need the death penalty! but I do believe we need it. People must have a consequence for their actions
Me
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 5:17:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This isn't an argument. but a random statement (NOTE: I am still UNDECIDED on how I feel about the DP):

One of the things I hear from friends (I go to a very liberal school) is that they think the image of a government sending one of its citizens to die is too harsh/cruel.

However, I think that what's even more cruel is the image of a society/government throwing one of its own into a hole to live out the rest of their days unfulfilled, alone, and with no hope of escape--not even through suicide.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 5:26:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/10/2012 5:17:44 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
This isn't an argument. but a random statement (NOTE: I am still UNDECIDED on how I feel about the DP):

One of the things I hear from friends (I go to a very liberal school) is that they think the image of a government sending one of its citizens to die is too harsh/cruel.

However, I think that what's even more cruel is the image of a society/government throwing one of its own into a hole to live out the rest of their days unfulfilled, alone, and with no hope of escape--not even through suicide.

Calling life in prison a form of torture, which I think you were implying, is a stretch. They have food, get to walk around, are in contact with other human beings, and sometimes even have tvs and entertainment. I have not heard of people going psychotic because of prison cell.

Death on the other hand is the destruction of the ultimate. It is the destruction of life. So, while I'm convinced there are things people can do that warrant death, I don't find it feasible to call life in prison a worse punishment.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 5:29:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think that what's even more cruel is the image of a society/government throwing one of its own into a hole to live out the rest of their days unfulfilled, alone, and with no hope of escape--not even through suicide.:

Therefore legalize murder? :)
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 5:31:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/10/2012 5:29:53 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I think that what's even more cruel is the image of a society/government throwing one of its own into a hole to live out the rest of their days unfulfilled, alone, and with no hope of escape--not even through suicide.:

Therefore legalize murder? :)

http://myfacewhen.com...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 5:36:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/10/2012 5:26:43 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 2/10/2012 5:17:44 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
This isn't an argument. but a random statement (NOTE: I am still UNDECIDED on how I feel about the DP):

One of the things I hear from friends (I go to a very liberal school) is that they think the image of a government sending one of its citizens to die is too harsh/cruel.

However, I think that what's even more cruel is the image of a society/government throwing one of its own into a hole to live out the rest of their days unfulfilled, alone, and with no hope of escape--not even through suicide.

Calling life in prison a form of torture, which I think you were implying, is a stretch. They have food, get to walk around, are in contact with other human beings, and sometimes even have tvs and entertainment. I have not heard of people going psychotic because of prison cell.

Death on the other hand is the destruction of the ultimate. It is the destruction of life. So, while I'm convinced there are things people can do that warrant death, I don't find it feasible to call life in prison a worse punishment.

I take it you've changed your mind since our debate?

Also, as to the bolded statement: are you truly being honest? Prison is a place that wrecks people psychologically--either breaking them, or making the hardened and desensitized to violence. Our prisons are not effective at rehabilitation--most prison inmates fall guilty of recidivism outside.

PS: Saying that killing is the destruction of the ultimate would imply, in my opinion, that those who are guilty of it (murderers) should receive the ultimate punishment--which is NOT merely a longer prison sentence.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2012 11:10:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
@DNinja: the response then would be to give the criminals life in prison with the option of suicide through peaceful means (injections) at any time. The death penalty is an assertion of the right to murder and judge others.
failedALIAS
Posts: 20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 1:30:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/10/2012 4:21:27 PM, yoda878 wrote:
I think its sad that we even need the death penalty! but I do believe we need it. People must have a consequence for their actions

That consequence shouldn't mean death. A consequence works best when it is in place for people to "learn", which means "doing better next time", which means "Having a next time to do better with"! All the Death Penalty seems to be is "Revenge", and when applied to today's standards, lands nothing short of barbaric.
You have your heart in the right place (your chest) and also your moral understanding is good, but what we really need is Reform. And if not, then all Prisons across this country must change their names from "Adult Correctional Facility" to "B.A.D. (Beating Adults Down)."
Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No Hell below us
Above us only Sky
Imagine All the people living for Today - John Lennon
Aaronroy
Posts: 749
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 2:47:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/8/2012 6:50:27 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 2/8/2012 6:08:06 PM, mrbusy wrote:
Death penalty exists for criminals. why is any innocent people interested in protecting their so-called rights?

Because the innocent have been put to death for crimes they did not commit.
+1

I remember watching a documentary where it explains that a staggering portion of people put on death row were later shown to be innocent.

Honestly, there is no real reason to have the death penalty, especially when our legal system is so f*cked up to a point where the 2nd possession of Hashish can result in a death sentence or life in prison.

Not to mention how that the current method of execution is still flawed. Sometimes, the compounds don't work and the person being executed suffers a painful death.

In regards to the 'simpler' executions, there are none. None that are humane, both to the family of the prisoner and the prisoner himself, at least. It'd be more humane and more economical just to throw said person in prison. If anything, the death penalty should only be reserved for serial killers (whom of which would be an endangerment of the lives of other prisoners and facility workers there) and prisoners sentenced to life without parole at their own request.
turn down for h'what
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 6:27:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think people should be put to death and die when they get the death penalty.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 3:52:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/8/2012 1:35:03 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 2/10/2012 5:44:22 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Legalize murder? Works in the animal kingdom
Says one who was in the military.:

Well, I know that my own personal tally looks something like this:

Lives taken by me: 0
Lives saved by me: Over 500

Secondly, I only think you can use deadly force under conditions of extreme necessity, i.e. the prospect of imminent death of self or others.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 6:16:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/8/2012 3:52:28 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 5/8/2012 1:35:03 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 2/10/2012 5:44:22 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Legalize murder? Works in the animal kingdom
Says one who was in the military.:

Well, I know that my own personal tally looks something like this:

Lives taken by me: 0
Lives saved by me: Over 500

Secondly, I only think you can use deadly force under conditions of extreme necessity, i.e. the prospect of imminent death of self or others.
Didn't claim you killed anyone. You joined an organization that promotes killing under necessary conditions - and NOT only when pulling the trigger is the last possible way of surviving. I don't think it's wrong, but it is in conflict with your position about the death penalty.

Moreover, murder is unlawful killing. The DP isn't necessarily immoral, so your point fails strongly. There are MANY cases where the DP has served its justified purpose.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 2:00:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 4:24:06 AM, Group_nice wrote:
Hi everybody who reads this!
We have made a group concerning our theme week. We have a project task to do, and it is about death penalty in the U.S.A. We want to know all about how you guys feel. Our group is against death penalty, but still we want to hear your opinions. How does the legalization of death penalty have an effect on your society in the U.S.A. Are you guys more satisfied about murderers getting what they "deserve" or are you guys just sad about it? Just write down everything you feel. And of course if you don't want to share then it is okay.

Capital punishment is a backward and barbaric and genuinely anti-life bit of "American exceptionalism", i.e., a shameful and socially-atavistic American aberration.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 2:03:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/8/2012 6:08:06 PM, mrbusy wrote:
Death penalty exists for criminals. why is any innocent people interested in protecting their so-called rights?

Because they're human beings, and the significance of their humanity ethically outweighs the significance of their criminality.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 2:05:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/7/2012 6:27:44 PM, sadolite wrote:
I think people should be put to death and die when they get the death penalty.

Wow, you're quite the complex ethical thinker. NOT!
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 2:07:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 2:03:00 AM, charleslb wrote:
Because they're human beings, and the significance of their humanity ethically outweighs the significance of their criminality.

A human is a rational being.

Rights accrue from rationality AND reciprocity, not one alone.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.