Jump to topic:

How you feel about ethnic studies

Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 2:12:31 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am in college and i thought I would be able to avoid taking any ethnic studies classes while i was here, because i generally see it as a waste of time. (I dont care what argument you have, its a waste of time) I am a adult, I pay to go to college, and if i am going to take GEs i would want to take GEs that generally interest me. If ethnic studies does not interest me why should i have to take it? I am not racists, or intolerant i just don't see the point in it.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 2:29:32 AM
I always thought of college as training and education for your future profession. As a finance and accounting major, I never understood why I had to take classes like world geography, physical science or a language class. I learned nothing in these classes that I wouldn't have learned if I took them in high school. Generally I thought it was a waste of my money.

So if it has nothing to do with your degree, then I think it is a waste of time, money and effort. That's my two cents anyways.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 3:09:12 AM
Going to college is like joining a gym. You're paying for the equipment and training to better yourself, so you should focus on the areas you want to improve. It's nice to be well developed all over, but if you've got a certain physique in mind, go for it.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 4:26:30 PM
At 2/10/2012 2:12:31 AM, Loserboi wrote:
I am in college and i thought I would be able to avoid taking any ethnic studies classes while i was here, because i generally see it as a waste of time. (I dont care what argument you have, its a waste of time) I am a adult, I pay to go to college, and if i am going to take GEs i would want to take GEs that generally interest me. If ethnic studies does not interest me why should i have to take it? I am not racists, or intolerant i just don't see the point in it.:

GenEd classes are part of the college scam to make you a more "well-rounded student." And the "ethnic studies" is simply utter P.C., liberal bullsh*t.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 4:28:58 PM
At 2/10/2012 3:09:12 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Going to college is like joining a gym. You're paying for the equipment and training to better yourself, so you should focus on the areas you want to improve. It's nice to be well developed all over, but if you've got a certain physique in mind, go for it.:

Awful analogy. It's a way to legally extort more money out of you, bottom line.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 8:51:49 PM
Are ethnic studies really a requirement?

I never took an ethnic studies class.

I'm pretty sure, actually, I've taken all manner of classes that didn't pertain to my major -- human sexuality, anatomy and physiology, physics I, Music Recording, lol, Into to Film (that one was less fun than you'd think), but I was never required to take an Ethnic Studies course, out of the four (lmfao, I know) schools I've attended.

Man, what is it with you people griping about college all the time -- I remember it being so damned awesome. So much drugs and vagina, all the damn time, it was so ridiculous. And, if you had direction, if you really tried, you can end up in some really awesome shtt. Do you know what my best friend did for his required internship at NYU? He went to PRAGUE and SHOT a FILM. He had a different major than I.

I worked for a magazine, which I have to admit, was incredible in it's own right.

Dude, you guys are really bugging out.

At NYU, you could attend Gallatin, where you literally create your own major from scratch. You have to write several theses and have everything approved by a committee, but you literally can create your own major from scratch and independently learn all about it with everything at the University at your disposal, which is a whole fvcking lot.

Do you know what some of these hilarious Gallatin kids studied?! Darkness. Literally. I shtt you not. They studied emotions and colors and such things. Of course, there are those that create monster degrees out of two or three competencies.

Sigh.

Man. I'd go back to school in a moment. I've always thought a lot about law school, really... we'll see...
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 3:00:05 AM
At 2/10/2012 4:28:58 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 2/10/2012 3:09:12 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Going to college is like joining a gym. You're paying for the equipment and training to better yourself, so you should focus on the areas you want to improve. It's nice to be well developed all over, but if you've got a certain physique in mind, go for it.:

Awful analogy. It's a way to legally extort more money out of you, bottom line.

Yep
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 10:40:50 PM
I "feel" absolutely nothing about ethnic studies. On an intellectual level, who gives a ratts behind about someones ethnicity.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Nougatrocity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 7:07:34 AM
At 2/10/2012 4:26:30 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
And the "ethnic studies" is simply utter P.C., liberal bullsh*t.
Erm, no.

OP: Take one. Learn something about another culture. How else can you know for sure it's not worth your time?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 8:16:08 AM
At 2/20/2012 7:07:34 AM, Nougatrocity wrote:
At 2/10/2012 4:26:30 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
And the "ethnic studies" is simply utter P.C., liberal bullsh*t.
Erm, no.

OP: Take one. Learn something about another culture. How else can you know for sure it's not worth your time?:

The fundamental question is why it is a requirement at all. Most universities around the world focus on their actual field of study. The United States board of education mandates ridiculous requirements to make students "more well-rounded." What it amounts to is an incredible waste of time and money for students who are forced to either jump through their hoops or not get a degree at all.
Nougatrocity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 11:00:10 PM
At 2/20/2012 8:16:08 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
The fundamental question is why it is a requirement at all. Most universities around the world focus on their actual field of study. The United States board of education mandates ridiculous requirements to make students "more well-rounded." What it amounts to is an incredible waste of time and money for students who are forced to either jump through their hoops or not get a degree at all.
Turns out I misread the OP and thought they were trying to DECIDE whether to take one, not complaining about being forced.

I can agree that general education requirements at colleges tend to be frustrating and unnecessary. However, I view that as as separate problem from ethnic studies courses being part of general education requirements.

Ethnic studies is something I am coming to believe everybody should have some exposure to. You've spent over a decade in school already, learning history and culture through a single lens. Moreover, it was through a culturally dominant lens, meaning for the most part no one you know is going to offer competing information. What is so infuriating about sitting down for a semester and looking at things from another point of view?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 2:37:29 PM
I can agree that general education requirements at colleges tend to be frustrating and unnecessary. However, I view that as as separate problem from ethnic studies courses being part of general education requirements.:

Fair enough.

Ethnic studies is something I am coming to believe everybody should have some exposure to. You've spent over a decade in school already, learning history and culture through a single lens. Moreover, it was through a culturally dominant lens, meaning for the most part no one you know is going to offer competing information. What is so infuriating about sitting down for a semester and looking at things from another point of view?:

Who says it's through a single lens? Most history books (other than perhaps Howard Zinn's take on it) present facts and offer competing viewpoints so that it's not biased. They aren't there to make judgment calls, only to report the facts. Whether or not the student sees something in history as positive or negative is entirely up to their interpretation.