Jump to topic:

Choice of Elective or Major...

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 5:49:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am now about to choose a major/elective given this is my sophomore year.

As a postulate, I need to rank all majors present in my school in terms of preference. I have chosen two biology-oriented majors, but am ambivalent in terms of choosing which one as my highest priority.

The two courses, named BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES and BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING, have very little difference--at least on a superficial scale and in terms of curriculum. Both involve a yearlong Advanced Placement biology course during one's journey year, an extension of the subjects learned in freshman Regents Biology class--diffusion and osmosis, enzyme catalysts, cell respiration and functions, transpiration, as well as metabolic mechanisms and so forth and in the senior year--which is divided into halves--anatomy and PTLW Biotechnical engineering.

Here is the description of the course: "The major focus of the Biotechnical Engineering course is to expose students to the diverse fields of biotechnology including biomedical engineering, bio-molecular genetics, bioprocess engineering, and agricultural and environmental engineering. Lessons engage students in engineering design problems that can be accomplished in a high school setting related to biomechanics, cardiovascular engineering, genetic engineering, agricultural biotechnology, tissue engineering, biomedical devices, human interface, bioprocesses, forensics, and bio-ethics."[1]

The problem is that I am interested in a specialty in medicine. I was told by my teacher that a thorough knowledge of chemistry would be adequate for future courses in college (i.e. better to learn it now than later). BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES offers a course in organic chemistry--the study of the aspects of the organic compound--in the latter half of one's senior year. Knowing the importance of the organic compound, the basis of all earthly processes and procedures, I concluded that perhaps taking BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES might be the most reasonable as a preparation for future ventures into medicine.

A few questions though....Does this difference matter? Should I stop worry about preparing for future courses in medicine or honing my skills? and so forth.

Do you agree with my current decision? Should I change it (after all I am tempted to do so...)

[1] See http://www.bths.edu... and http://www.bths.edu...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 6:26:26 PM
that's a pretty advanced track they have in high school.

You're planning on going premed in college, right?

Thing is though, what people want to do in college changes all the time. Rarely does a person in high school know what they want to do and actually goes for it in college.

The idea of taking organic chemistry in high school sounds interesting since it might prepare you for it in college (don't really know how they do organic chemistry in yoou're high school. Likely different then college). Organic chemistry is a hard class, so going in with a background in it is good. Pre-med students have to take organic chemistry.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 6:51:30 PM
At 3/10/2012 6:26:26 PM, darkkermit wrote:
that's a pretty advanced track they have in high school.

You're planning on going premed in college, right?

Thing is though, what people want to do in college changes all the time. Rarely does a person in high school know what they want to do and actually goes for it in college.

The idea of taking organic chemistry in high school sounds interesting since it might prepare you for it in college (don't really know how they do organic chemistry in yoou're high school. Likely different then college). Organic chemistry is a hard class, so going in with a background in it is good. Pre-med students have to take organic chemistry.

Hmmm....You did raise an interesting point about how fickle my views are. However, my preferences are generally cemented and I rarely change my goals, though the ways through which I wish to accomplish them can be variable.

I might take Biological sciences if it helps me have some sort of preparation in organic chemistry, seeing that I wish to take pre-med and have some sort of specialty in medicine.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Irkutsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 1:22:13 AM
Don't focus on an occupation or major when choosing classes for highschool. Sure its fine to have a theme behind your choices, but saying "I want to be a doctor so I will only take doctor related courses" is stupid. Take a variety of courses so you have more options in terms of college courses you can take in the future.
Life is like radiation. A uniquely damaging event. Perhaps I will live another thirty years. Perhaps I will die tomorrow. But I have no regrets. I was sometimes forced to make difficult choices. But enough is enough. As Vladimir would say, you can only die once, make sure it is worth it.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 10:29:20 AM
At 3/11/2012 1:22:13 AM, Irkutsk wrote:
Don't focus on an occupation or major when choosing classes for highschool.
Unfortunately, all sophomores are mandated to choose a major in my high school. Sorry.

Sure its fine to have a theme behind your choices, but saying "I want to be a doctor so I will only take doctor related courses" is stupid. Take a variety of courses so you have more options in terms of college courses you can take in the future.

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 9:30:03 AM
Take the engineering major. It's not very important because you can easily change later on, especially with a specialty of a specialty. However, to do anything in science you have to go through with a Ph.D. and be happy spending a career working at problems that may not be solved. It's not the subject matter, it's the willingness to work forever on something that may not succeed. The engineering side is more likely to lead to projects that have successful completion in a reasonably short time. that's a better place to start until you are sure you want the academic/research regimen.

I can see picking a general area of focus in high school, like "science" vs. "business," but such detail seems brain damaged. Students should experience a broad range of subjects to see what they find appealing.
saraparker617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 2:28:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
whenever you are at a higher level of academic career you make sure that the majors you choose are of your interest and those majors have a huge scope in the professional field. you need to make sure that you complete your academic career in a way that you have fill knowledge of the professional career too that you are about to enter. http://www.rochvilleuniversity.org...
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 12:57:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Party like a rock star when you make it.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9