Jump to topic:

Teachers

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 11:33:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Public school buildings should not exist. We should have allotted times to learn certain materials on our own, and then take a test online, and that would be our grade.

My English teacher teaches me nothing. I would get the same grade in that class if she didn't exist. My APUSH teacher lectures, but it goes in one ear, out the other. She just throws the history books at us and says "here, learn." I would get the same grade if she didn't exist.

My chem teacher talks too fast, and I tend not to listen. I would get the same grade if he didn't exist. Don't even get me started about my French teacher.

Teachers are useless to be honest.....
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 11:41:35 PM
At 3/13/2012 11:33:32 PM, 000ike wrote:
Public school buildings should not exist. We should have allotted times to learn certain materials on our own, and then take a test online, and that would be our grade.

My English teacher teaches me nothing. I would get the same grade in that class if she didn't exist. My APUSH teacher lectures, but it goes in one ear, out the other. She just throws the history books at us and says "here, learn." I would get the same grade if she didn't exist.

My chem teacher talks too fast, and I tend not to listen. I would get the same grade if he didn't exist. Don't even get me started about my French teacher.

Have you tried going to a different school?
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2012 12:05:47 AM
Stopping school from being mandatory would also be a step in the right direction. Some people have no interest in and will never learn anything from school. It's simply a waste of time to sit in a building for 30 hours a week for twelve years if it just doesn't do anything for you.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2012 12:43:59 AM

Good luck trying to force 1st graders, who don't give a **** about school, to learn anything by themselves.

And some ppl are too busy to take care of their children...School helps in that area.
I know that when I was younger, if public schooling was to be cut, I would be home alone 90% of the time practically.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2012 1:02:49 AM
Teachers are a bad influence on children. Some of them are in there 40s and still in third grade, for crying out loud!
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 12:43:29 AM
Many teachers are indeed quite useless and time wasting. However, to state that all teachers are 'useless' is quite frankly very pretentious.

For example, quite a number of teachers at my school also lecture at university. Their knowledge is far beyond any student's knowledge in some potential areas of learning. Furthermore, some teachers are very intelligent. I could go on.

I agree that many teachers aren't terribly helpful, but don't categorise all teachers as useless.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 1:43:57 AM
At 3/14/2012 12:43:59 AM, vmpire321 wrote:

Good luck trying to force 1st graders, who don't give a **** about school, to learn anything by themselves.
Nothing says that kids wouldn't learn anything. People would use much more of their potential if there was no compulsory schooling. We're all just mixed up with people of same ages, why not same interests? Why not same abilities? Why not same IQ's? Why age? It's nonsensical.

The best potential comes from the best use of one's motivations. A child that's very interested in astronomy should be given all the time he wants to excel in that field. Compulsory schooling denies him his precious time.

And some ppl are too busy to take care of their children...School helps in that area.
Compulsory schooling? No.

I know that when I was younger, if public schooling was to be cut, I would be home alone 90% of the time practically.
Hypothetical and probably untrue. If there was no similar compulsory schooling like the current one, there would be many more institutions for kids that would allow them to truly make use of their potential. No five-six years of subjects you will never be interested in, but they would teach you what would suit you best.

Compulsory schooling is generally too bad.
Irkutsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 11:46:34 AM
At 3/15/2012 12:55:04 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Try taking notes.

This.

Trust me, you have to deal with bad teachers, so stop complaining and find strategies to succeed. My old chem teacher didn't talk at all, and people complained "oh I don't learn in that class". Well, go and read the frickin book.
Life is like radiation. A uniquely damaging event. Perhaps I will live another thirty years. Perhaps I will die tomorrow. But I have no regrets. I was sometimes forced to make difficult choices. But enough is enough. As Vladimir would say, you can only die once, make sure it is worth it.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 11:29:38 AM
Try taking notes.

I'm not doing bad in school. I'm saying that I would still get good grades whether or not I heard my teachers talk. I feel like I'm wasting hours of my life in a building where I learn nothing. I learn everything from going home and reading books. -___-
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 11:34:12 AM
Have you ever considered the idea that either

a) You're the problem or

b) (MUCH MORE LIKELY) You and your teachers just aren't suited for each other? If that makes sense. Their style doesn't work for you. I'm kind of lucky that I think I can adapt pretty well to different teachers/teaching style. However, some teachers I'm much more NATURALLY successful with. For example, last year, my English (Pre-IB American Authors) teacher was one of those who, although she tries to create a friendly environment, was not only rigorous, but whose personality type reflected this. While I did well in her class, and enjoyed myself a little bit, it wasn't all that great. However, this year, I REALLY enjoy my English (Pre-IB British Authors) teacher. He does want us to work, but he has a much more hands-off, laid-back personality type. What's great though is that even though he's laid-back, he also loves discussing the lit, and though a lot of teacher's try to say this is true, with him, there really isn't a single correct answer. I dunno. Him and I just click as a teacher-student unit.

In other words, just be more open-minded. Just because you have bad experiences with certain people isn't justification to assume the system is automatically in the clear wrong.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 11:35:38 AM
At 3/18/2012 11:29:38 AM, 000ike wrote:
Try taking notes.

I'm not doing bad in school. I'm saying that I would still get good grades whether or not I heard my teachers talk. I feel like I'm wasting hours of my life in a building where I learn nothing. I learn everything from going home and reading books. -___-

See my previous post. My belief with you is that you're just not suited for institutionalized education in general, or you haven't met the teacher that really clicks with you.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 7:55:44 PM

You fail to acknowledge that relying on technology that can be destroyed in a millisecond is a poor substitute for a teacher. You have access to a computer now, why are you not getting strait A's ? You have access to both and are still just average. Why would replacing one with the other improve your grades?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 7:58:06 PM
At 3/14/2012 12:05:47 AM, socialpinko wrote:
Stopping school from being mandatory would also be a step in the right direction. Some people have no interest in and will never learn anything from school. It's simply a waste of time to sit in a building for 30 hours a week for twelve years if it just doesn't do anything for you.

Public school is nothing more than a subsidised babysitting service for those types. They go so mom and dad can go to work and support their worthless lazy butts until they are 18.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 7:59:51 PM
At 3/18/2012 7:55:44 PM, sadolite wrote:

You fail to acknowledge that relying on technology that can be destroyed in a millisecond is a poor substitute for a teacher. You have access to a computer now, why are you not getting strait A's ? You have access to both and are still just average. Why would replacing one with the other improve your grades?

First, I do get straight As, all A honor-roll 5 marking periods in a row since freshman year...... Second my teachers don't teach, they RELY on technology with their useless powerpoints and smartboards. Getting rid of the teacher and leaving the powerpoints would not change anything.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 8:11:01 PM
I remember many decades ago sitting in my seventh or eighth grade math class tying to learn how to convert fractions to decimals and wondering, "When will I ever have a need to know this crap". Well that is what I do all day now. So next time you think education is a waste of time because you aren't interested keep that in mind. What you think is a waste of time today may be what puts bread on the table tomorrow. The only thing that teaches this is being alive long enough to understand the wisdom of this. That's why you would hear someone say school is a waste of time if it does not interest you. Only the young and naive would say such a thing.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 8:15:23 PM
At 3/18/2012 7:59:51 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/18/2012 7:55:44 PM, sadolite wrote:

First, I do get straight As, all A honor-roll 5 marking periods in a row since freshman year...... Second my teachers don't teach, they RELY on technology with their useless powerpoints and smartboards. Getting rid of the teacher and leaving the powerpoints would not change anything.

The point still remains, total reliance on technology is naive and dangerous. It can be destroyed in a millisecond. You can't destroy all the teachers in a millisecond.

And I am glad you get strait A's congratulations!

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 8:19:54 PM
At 3/18/2012 8:11:01 PM, sadolite wrote:
I remember many decades ago sitting in my seventh or eighth grade math class tying to learn how to convert fractions to decimals and wondering, "When will I ever have a need to know this crap". Well that is what I do all day now. So next time you think education is a waste of time because you aren't interested keep that in mind. What you think is a waste of time today may be what puts bread on the table tomorrow. The only thing that teaches this is being alive long enough to understand the wisdom of this. That's why you would hear someone say school is a waste of time if it does not interest you. Only the young and naive would say such a thing.

What the hell are you talking about? If I didn't value education more than the average person I wouldn't be on this website in the first place. You completely missed the point and context of the OP. First of all, I am not a bad student and you're forcing me to sound like a bragging douche bag, but I do very well in school. My point is, my teachers have no contribution to my grade. I get my good grades purely out of learning and reading textbooks myself. We have too many poor quality and uninfluential teachers in our public schools today, and something should be done about it.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 8:38:26 PM
At 3/18/2012 8:19:54 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/18/2012 8:11:01 PM, sadolite wrote:

What the hell are you talking about? If I didn't value education more than the average person I wouldn't be on this website in the first place. You completely missed the point and context of the OP. First of all, I am not a bad student and you're forcing me to sound like a bragging douche bag, but I do very well in school. My point is, my teachers have no contribution to my grade. I get my good grades purely out of learning and reading textbooks myself. We have too many poor quality and uninfluential teachers in our public schools today, and something should be done about it.

Um , everyone has had crappy teachers. What should be done? I would start with getting rid of that poison called tenure. Who cares how long you have been somewhere if you suck at it move along and make room for those who are good at it. Your beef is with the teachers union and no one else. They are the ones who force you to have crappy teachers.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 8:46:25 PM
My view of education has always been different from the norm. While science and maths are all well, good, and important, I feel as though we're straying away from the most important thing: the humanities and the arts. I'm blessed in that the school I go to (best public school in the state) can afford to support the arts and humanities, but it's folly to think that the arts are not something that are under siege in our educational system, as well as the (non-fact-based) humanities.

The reason I bring this up is that I feel it relates with the plight of 000ike. He can learn, read textbooks, and get good grades without teachers. That's great. And I'm sure he can also (hopefully) explore the more complex ideas of humanity, art, existence, the human condition on his own. That's great too. The difference is that the latter things are the things that, for many people, those things require a teacher much more than the former. Not to put down science and maths, which ARE quite essential, but it is my belief that those are more fact-oriented; and while facts are ALSO essential, I feel that they would be easier things to understand without a teacher than the humanities and arts.

Anyway; the main point of my humanities-elitist rant is that those are the areas that require teachers more in my opinion. And the ones that, if value can't be given equally, then the humanities should be valued more.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 8:49:03 PM
Even if every single student in your school wrote a petition to get rid of a teacher because they were ineffective and didn't perform well. All the teachers union would do is transfer them to a different school and subject the students at that school to your teacher. It is most likely for the same reason you now have your current teacher. They were transferred from another school. I am afraid there is nothing you can do, other than what you are doing now. It is the law that you must go to school. The teachers union is here to stay and it will never change except to get worse. You are learning a valuable lesson in life with regard to unions and their effect on you and your education. There really is nothing that can be done. It is all up to you to educate yourself, but then again that is how it has been since the beginning of time.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 9:05:54 PM
At 3/18/2012 8:49:03 PM, sadolite wrote:
Even if every single student in your school wrote a petition to get rid of a teacher because they were ineffective and didn't perform well. All the teachers union would do is transfer them to a different school and subject the students at that school to your teacher. It is most likely for the same reason you now have your current teacher. They were transferred from another school. I am afraid there is nothing you can do, other than what you are doing now. It is the law that you must go to school. The teachers union is here to stay and it will never change except to get worse. You are learning a valuable lesson in life with regard to unions and their effect on you and your education. There really is nothing that can be done. It is all up to you to educate yourself, but then again that is how it has been since the beginning of time.

Here are the guide lines for firing a teacher in California.

http://www.google.com...

As you can see it is cheaper to keep the teacher and just transfer them around than to fire them. It costs on average the tax payer $400,000 plus paying the teacher during the firing process to fire one tenured teacher. Which is more than they would make in 15 or 20 years in most cases. It's cheaper to just subject the students to bad teachers.

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 11:22:15 AM
well you can't home school and expect an easier time applying for colleges.

Just suffer like the rest of the people that live in a dumbed down educational system. Many teachers are told to purposely keep the material light for the lowest common denominator.

I personally think that the reason the teachers union gets billions of dollars from the crony feds to keep power is so that the rich can stay richer as the dumb get dumber.

It has gotten to the point where there is little to no chance that parents would rise up in revolt for their children because there are now generations of public sycophants willing to believe anything the teacher unions say.