Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Critical Thinking

sadolite
Posts: 8,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2012 9:06:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am Told that college teaches "critical thinking" among other things. What would a person deduce using "critical thinking" the idea of 90% of all high school teachers and college professors being of the same political ideology and would this be a healty enviroment for the discussion and admission of alternative ideas other than the 90% majority.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Logic_on_rails
Posts: 2,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 12:44:37 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Critical thinking can refer to many things. Learning to think logically, use the scientific method and so forth are all beneficial skills. If the tasks that colleges set are marked based on the usage of these principles then what's the problem?
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 7:18:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/14/2012 9:06:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
I am Told that college teaches "critical thinking" among other things. What would a person deduce using "critical thinking" the idea of 90% of all high school teachers and college professors being of the same political ideology and would this be a healty enviroment for the discussion and admission of alternative ideas other than the 90% majority.

If it were true that "critical thinking" forced all people to be the same political ideology, then all college graduates would be of the same political ideology, or 90% as you say. That simply isn't true. Logic is secular. Argument and debate are secular. It's neither here nor there and you can learn logic and argument via only ridiculous examples about animals and colors or made up worlds. Politics, and anything based in reality, need not be mentioned.

In fact, you can learn logic and critical thinking using only symbols if you were so inclined. It's called symbolic logic.

In sum- I don't get what you're trying to say here.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
sadolite
Posts: 8,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 11:09:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/15/2012 7:18:04 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/14/2012 9:06:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
I am Told that college teaches "critical thinking" among other things. What would a person deduce using "critical thinking" the idea of 90% of all high school teachers and college professors being of the same political ideology and would this be a healty enviroment for the discussion and admission of alternative ideas other than the 90% majority.

If it were true that "critical thinking" forced all people to be the same political ideology, then all college graduates would be of the same political ideology, or 90% as you say. That simply isn't true. Logic is secular. Argument and debate are secular. It's neither here nor there and you can learn logic and argument via only ridiculous examples about animals and colors or made up worlds. Politics, and anything based in reality, need not be mentioned.

In fact, you can learn logic and critical thinking using only symbols if you were so inclined. It's called symbolic logic.

In sum- I don't get what you're trying to say here.

I am looking for responses that are supposedly based on critical thinking.

The first thing that came to my mind using "critical thinking" was political indoctrination camp as opposed to higher learning institution given all that I have seen that goes on in colleges today. Such as running people of stages and throwing things at some who come to give lectures. Why would such things happen in a supposed unbiased, higher learning, critical thinking institution? Only politically indoctrinated people or retarded morons would do such a things. Are colleges admitting retarded morons now? That's the only explanation short of political indoctrination.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 8:41:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/14/2012 9:06:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
I am Told that college teaches "critical thinking" among other things. What would a person deduce using "critical thinking" the idea of 90% of all high school teachers and college professors being of the same political ideology and would this be a healty enviroment for the discussion and admission of alternative ideas other than the 90% majority.

People's brains usually mature just enough around college age to develop an aptitude in critical thinking.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2012 6:06:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/14/2012 9:06:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
I am Told that college teaches "critical thinking" among other things. What would a person deduce using "critical thinking" the idea of 90% of all high school teachers and college professors being of the same political ideology and would this be a healty enviroment for the discussion and admission of alternative ideas other than the 90% majority.

The other 10% are "retarded morons".
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2012 11:01:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/17/2012 11:09:45 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/15/2012 7:18:04 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/14/2012 9:06:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
I am Told that college teaches "critical thinking" among other things. What would a person deduce using "critical thinking" the idea of 90% of all high school teachers and college professors being of the same political ideology and would this be a healty enviroment for the discussion and admission of alternative ideas other than the 90% majority.

If it were true that "critical thinking" forced all people to be the same political ideology, then all college graduates would be of the same political ideology, or 90% as you say. That simply isn't true. Logic is secular. Argument and debate are secular. It's neither here nor there and you can learn logic and argument via only ridiculous examples about animals and colors or made up worlds. Politics, and anything based in reality, need not be mentioned.

In fact, you can learn logic and critical thinking using only symbols if you were so inclined. It's called symbolic logic.

In sum- I don't get what you're trying to say here.

I am looking for responses that are supposedly based on critical thinking.

The first thing that came to my mind using "critical thinking" was political indoctrination camp as opposed to higher learning institution given all that I have seen that goes on in colleges today. Such as running people of stages and throwing things at some who come to give lectures.
I know. People who don't go to college would never do something like that....
Why would such things happen in a supposed unbiased, higher learning, critical thinking institution?
Because humans are imperfect......?
Only politically indoctrinated people or retarded morons
or humans...
would do such a things.Are colleges admitting retarded morons now?
That depends- do these "retarded morons" have the appropriate GPA? Did they pass the appropriate tests with the appropriate test scores? Do they fit all of the other university criteria if necessary and can they afford the tuition? If so, then yes.
That's the only explanation short of political indoctrination.
ORLY? Or maybe there is a much simpler explanation than "all colleges are political indoctrination camps who accept a bunch of retarded morons that find it acceptable to run people off stages."

And part of the explanation might be that your analysis is lacking in the critical thinking department, ironically enough.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2012 11:03:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/20/2012 11:01:18 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/17/2012 11:09:45 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/15/2012 7:18:04 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/14/2012 9:06:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
I am Told that college teaches "critical thinking" among other things. What would a person deduce using "critical thinking" the idea of 90% of all high school teachers and college professors being of the same political ideology and would this be a healty enviroment for the discussion and admission of alternative ideas other than the 90% majority.

If it were true that "critical thinking" forced all people to be the same political ideology, then all college graduates would be of the same political ideology, or 90% as you say. That simply isn't true. Logic is secular. Argument and debate are secular. It's neither here nor there and you can learn logic and argument via only ridiculous examples about animals and colors or made up worlds. Politics, and anything based in reality, need not be mentioned.

In fact, you can learn logic and critical thinking using only symbols if you were so inclined. It's called symbolic logic.

In sum- I don't get what you're trying to say here.

I am looking for responses that are supposedly based on critical thinking.

The first thing that came to my mind using "critical thinking" was political indoctrination camp as opposed to higher learning institution given all that I have seen that goes on in colleges today. Such as running people of stages and throwing things at some who come to give lectures.
I know. People who don't go to college would never do something like that....
Why would such things happen in a supposed unbiased, higher learning, critical thinking institution?
Because humans are imperfect......?
Only politically indoctrinated people or retarded morons
or humans...
would do such a things.Are colleges admitting retarded morons now?
That depends- do these "retarded morons" have the appropriate GPA? Did they pass the appropriate tests with the appropriate test scores? Do they fit all of the other university criteria if necessary and can they afford the tuition? If so, then yes.
That's the only explanation short of political indoctrination.
ORLY? Or maybe there is a much simpler explanation than "all colleges are political indoctrination camps who accept a bunch of retarded morons that find it acceptable to run people off stages."

And part of the explanation might be that your analysis is lacking in the critical thinking department, ironically enough.

can you wear a hat on your face? not your head, but your face? and would you look awesome if you did?
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2012 11:22:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/20/2012 11:03:53 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:01:18 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/17/2012 11:09:45 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/15/2012 7:18:04 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/14/2012 9:06:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
I am Told that college teaches "critical thinking" among other things. What would a person deduce using "critical thinking" the idea of 90% of all high school teachers and college professors being of the same political ideology and would this be a healty enviroment for the discussion and admission of alternative ideas other than the 90% majority.

If it were true that "critical thinking" forced all people to be the same political ideology, then all college graduates would be of the same political ideology, or 90% as you say. That simply isn't true. Logic is secular. Argument and debate are secular. It's neither here nor there and you can learn logic and argument via only ridiculous examples about animals and colors or made up worlds. Politics, and anything based in reality, need not be mentioned.

In fact, you can learn logic and critical thinking using only symbols if you were so inclined. It's called symbolic logic.

In sum- I don't get what you're trying to say here.

I am looking for responses that are supposedly based on critical thinking.

The first thing that came to my mind using "critical thinking" was political indoctrination camp as opposed to higher learning institution given all that I have seen that goes on in colleges today. Such as running people of stages and throwing things at some who come to give lectures.
I know. People who don't go to college would never do something like that....
Why would such things happen in a supposed unbiased, higher learning, critical thinking institution?
Because humans are imperfect......?
Only politically indoctrinated people or retarded morons
or humans...
would do such a things.Are colleges admitting retarded morons now?
That depends- do these "retarded morons" have the appropriate GPA? Did they pass the appropriate tests with the appropriate test scores? Do they fit all of the other university criteria if necessary and can they afford the tuition? If so, then yes.
That's the only explanation short of political indoctrination.
ORLY? Or maybe there is a much simpler explanation than "all colleges are political indoctrination camps who accept a bunch of retarded morons that find it acceptable to run people off stages."

And part of the explanation might be that your analysis is lacking in the critical thinking department, ironically enough.

can you wear a hat on your face? not your head, but your face? and would you look awesome if you did?

I'm insulted that you have to ask. Yes, Yes, and yes, Thaddeus. In fact, I'm wearing a fantastic hat this very moment.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2012 11:23:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/20/2012 11:22:09 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:03:53 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:01:18 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/17/2012 11:09:45 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/15/2012 7:18:04 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/14/2012 9:06:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
I am Told that college teaches "critical thinking" among other things. What would a person deduce using "critical thinking" the idea of 90% of all high school teachers and college professors being of the same political ideology and would this be a healty enviroment for the discussion and admission of alternative ideas other than the 90% majority.

If it were true that "critical thinking" forced all people to be the same political ideology, then all college graduates would be of the same political ideology, or 90% as you say. That simply isn't true. Logic is secular. Argument and debate are secular. It's neither here nor there and you can learn logic and argument via only ridiculous examples about animals and colors or made up worlds. Politics, and anything based in reality, need not be mentioned.

In fact, you can learn logic and critical thinking using only symbols if you were so inclined. It's called symbolic logic.

In sum- I don't get what you're trying to say here.

I am looking for responses that are supposedly based on critical thinking.

The first thing that came to my mind using "critical thinking" was political indoctrination camp as opposed to higher learning institution given all that I have seen that goes on in colleges today. Such as running people of stages and throwing things at some who come to give lectures.
I know. People who don't go to college would never do something like that....
Why would such things happen in a supposed unbiased, higher learning, critical thinking institution?
Because humans are imperfect......?
Only politically indoctrinated people or retarded morons
or humans...
would do such a things.Are colleges admitting retarded morons now?
That depends- do these "retarded morons" have the appropriate GPA? Did they pass the appropriate tests with the appropriate test scores? Do they fit all of the other university criteria if necessary and can they afford the tuition? If so, then yes.
That's the only explanation short of political indoctrination.
ORLY? Or maybe there is a much simpler explanation than "all colleges are political indoctrination camps who accept a bunch of retarded morons that find it acceptable to run people off stages."

And part of the explanation might be that your analysis is lacking in the critical thinking department, ironically enough.

can you wear a hat on your face? not your head, but your face? and would you look awesome if you did?

I'm insulted that you have to ask. Yes, Yes, and yes, Thaddeus. In fact, I'm wearing a fantastic hat this very moment.

cool. can i see?
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2012 11:26:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/20/2012 11:23:56 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:22:09 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:03:53 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:01:18 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/17/2012 11:09:45 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/15/2012 7:18:04 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/14/2012 9:06:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
I am Told that college teaches "critical thinking" among other things. What would a person deduce using "critical thinking" the idea of 90% of all high school teachers and college professors being of the same political ideology and would this be a healty enviroment for the discussion and admission of alternative ideas other than the 90% majority.

If it were true that "critical thinking" forced all people to be the same political ideology, then all college graduates would be of the same political ideology, or 90% as you say. That simply isn't true. Logic is secular. Argument and debate are secular. It's neither here nor there and you can learn logic and argument via only ridiculous examples about animals and colors or made up worlds. Politics, and anything based in reality, need not be mentioned.

In fact, you can learn logic and critical thinking using only symbols if you were so inclined. It's called symbolic logic.

In sum- I don't get what you're trying to say here.

I am looking for responses that are supposedly based on critical thinking.

The first thing that came to my mind using "critical thinking" was political indoctrination camp as opposed to higher learning institution given all that I have seen that goes on in colleges today. Such as running people of stages and throwing things at some who come to give lectures.
I know. People who don't go to college would never do something like that....
Why would such things happen in a supposed unbiased, higher learning, critical thinking institution?
Because humans are imperfect......?
Only politically indoctrinated people or retarded morons
or humans...
would do such a things.Are colleges admitting retarded morons now?
That depends- do these "retarded morons" have the appropriate GPA? Did they pass the appropriate tests with the appropriate test scores? Do they fit all of the other university criteria if necessary and can they afford the tuition? If so, then yes.
That's the only explanation short of political indoctrination.
ORLY? Or maybe there is a much simpler explanation than "all colleges are political indoctrination camps who accept a bunch of retarded morons that find it acceptable to run people off stages."

And part of the explanation might be that your analysis is lacking in the critical thinking department, ironically enough.

can you wear a hat on your face? not your head, but your face? and would you look awesome if you did?

I'm insulted that you have to ask. Yes, Yes, and yes, Thaddeus. In fact, I'm wearing a fantastic hat this very moment.

cool. can i see?

Yes. But I can't.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2012 11:27:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/20/2012 11:26:14 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:23:56 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:22:09 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:03:53 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:01:18 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/17/2012 11:09:45 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/15/2012 7:18:04 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/14/2012 9:06:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
I am Told that college teaches "critical thinking" among other things. What would a person deduce using "critical thinking" the idea of 90% of all high school teachers and college professors being of the same political ideology and would this be a healty enviroment for the discussion and admission of alternative ideas other than the 90% majority.

If it were true that "critical thinking" forced all people to be the same political ideology, then all college graduates would be of the same political ideology, or 90% as you say. That simply isn't true. Logic is secular. Argument and debate are secular. It's neither here nor there and you can learn logic and argument via only ridiculous examples about animals and colors or made up worlds. Politics, and anything based in reality, need not be mentioned.

In fact, you can learn logic and critical thinking using only symbols if you were so inclined. It's called symbolic logic.

In sum- I don't get what you're trying to say here.

I am looking for responses that are supposedly based on critical thinking.

The first thing that came to my mind using "critical thinking" was political indoctrination camp as opposed to higher learning institution given all that I have seen that goes on in colleges today. Such as running people of stages and throwing things at some who come to give lectures.
I know. People who don't go to college would never do something like that....
Why would such things happen in a supposed unbiased, higher learning, critical thinking institution?
Because humans are imperfect......?
Only politically indoctrinated people or retarded morons
or humans...
would do such a things.Are colleges admitting retarded morons now?
That depends- do these "retarded morons" have the appropriate GPA? Did they pass the appropriate tests with the appropriate test scores? Do they fit all of the other university criteria if necessary and can they afford the tuition? If so, then yes.
That's the only explanation short of political indoctrination.
ORLY? Or maybe there is a much simpler explanation than "all colleges are political indoctrination camps who accept a bunch of retarded morons that find it acceptable to run people off stages."

And part of the explanation might be that your analysis is lacking in the critical thinking department, ironically enough.

can you wear a hat on your face? not your head, but your face? and would you look awesome if you did?

I'm insulted that you have to ask. Yes, Yes, and yes, Thaddeus. In fact, I'm wearing a fantastic hat this very moment.

cool. can i see?

Yes. But I can't.

but it is the joint victory which makes it worth it. we have acheived true greatness today.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2012 11:29:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
all moderates.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2012 11:38:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/20/2012 11:27:37 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:26:14 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:23:56 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:22:09 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:03:53 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:01:18 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/17/2012 11:09:45 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/15/2012 7:18:04 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/14/2012 9:06:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
I am Told that college teaches "critical thinking" among other things. What would a person deduce using "critical thinking" the idea of 90% of all high school teachers and college professors being of the same political ideology and would this be a healty enviroment for the discussion and admission of alternative ideas other than the 90% majority.

If it were true that "critical thinking" forced all people to be the same political ideology, then all college graduates would be of the same political ideology, or 90% as you say. That simply isn't true. Logic is secular. Argument and debate are secular. It's neither here nor there and you can learn logic and argument via only ridiculous examples about animals and colors or made up worlds. Politics, and anything based in reality, need not be mentioned.

In fact, you can learn logic and critical thinking using only symbols if you were so inclined. It's called symbolic logic.

In sum- I don't get what you're trying to say here.

I am looking for responses that are supposedly based on critical thinking.

The first thing that came to my mind using "critical thinking" was political indoctrination camp as opposed to higher learning institution given all that I have seen that goes on in colleges today. Such as running people of stages and throwing things at some who come to give lectures.
I know. People who don't go to college would never do something like that....
Why would such things happen in a supposed unbiased, higher learning, critical thinking institution?
Because humans are imperfect......?
Only politically indoctrinated people or retarded morons
or humans...
would do such a things.Are colleges admitting retarded morons now?
That depends- do these "retarded morons" have the appropriate GPA? Did they pass the appropriate tests with the appropriate test scores? Do they fit all of the other university criteria if necessary and can they afford the tuition? If so, then yes.
That's the only explanation short of political indoctrination.
ORLY? Or maybe there is a much simpler explanation than "all colleges are political indoctrination camps who accept a bunch of retarded morons that find it acceptable to run people off stages."

And part of the explanation might be that your analysis is lacking in the critical thinking department, ironically enough.

can you wear a hat on your face? not your head, but your face? and would you look awesome if you did?

I'm insulted that you have to ask. Yes, Yes, and yes, Thaddeus. In fact, I'm wearing a fantastic hat this very moment.

cool. can i see?

Yes. But I can't.

but it is the joint victory which makes it worth it. we have acheived true greatness today.

You're making me want to be drunk right now. In a good way.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2012 11:44:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/20/2012 11:38:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:27:37 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:26:14 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:23:56 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:22:09 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:03:53 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:01:18 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/17/2012 11:09:45 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/15/2012 7:18:04 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/14/2012 9:06:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
I am Told that college teaches "critical thinking" among other things. What would a person deduce using "critical thinking" the idea of 90% of all high school teachers and college professors being of the same political ideology and would this be a healty enviroment for the discussion and admission of alternative ideas other than the 90% majority.

If it were true that "critical thinking" forced all people to be the same political ideology, then all college graduates would be of the same political ideology, or 90% as you say. That simply isn't true. Logic is secular. Argument and debate are secular. It's neither here nor there and you can learn logic and argument via only ridiculous examples about animals and colors or made up worlds. Politics, and anything based in reality, need not be mentioned.

In fact, you can learn logic and critical thinking using only symbols if you were so inclined. It's called symbolic logic.

In sum- I don't get what you're trying to say here.

I am looking for responses that are supposedly based on critical thinking.

The first thing that came to my mind using "critical thinking" was political indoctrination camp as opposed to higher learning institution given all that I have seen that goes on in colleges today. Such as running people of stages and throwing things at some who come to give lectures.
I know. People who don't go to college would never do something like that....
Why would such things happen in a supposed unbiased, higher learning, critical thinking institution?
Because humans are imperfect......?
Only politically indoctrinated people or retarded morons
or humans...
would do such a things.Are colleges admitting retarded morons now?
That depends- do these "retarded morons" have the appropriate GPA? Did they pass the appropriate tests with the appropriate test scores? Do they fit all of the other university criteria if necessary and can they afford the tuition? If so, then yes.
That's the only explanation short of political indoctrination.
ORLY? Or maybe there is a much simpler explanation than "all colleges are political indoctrination camps who accept a bunch of retarded morons that find it acceptable to run people off stages."

And part of the explanation might be that your analysis is lacking in the critical thinking department, ironically enough.

can you wear a hat on your face? not your head, but your face? and would you look awesome if you did?

I'm insulted that you have to ask. Yes, Yes, and yes, Thaddeus. In fact, I'm wearing a fantastic hat this very moment.

cool. can i see?

Yes. But I can't.

but it is the joint victory which makes it worth it. we have acheived true greatness today.

You're making me want to be drunk right now. In a good way.

what other way is there being of being drunk? its all good.
sadolite
Posts: 8,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 6:19:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/20/2012 11:01:18 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/17/2012 11:09:45 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/15/2012 7:18:04 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/14/2012 9:06:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
I am Told that college teaches "critical thinking" among other things. What would a person deduce using "critical thinking" the idea of 90% of all high school teachers and college professors being of the same political ideology and would this be a healty enviroment for the discussion and admission of alternative ideas other than the 90% majority.

If it were true that "critical thinking" forced all people to be the same political ideology, then all college graduates would be of the same political ideology, or 90% as you say. That simply isn't true. Logic is secular. Argument and debate are secular. It's neither here nor there and you can learn logic and argument via only ridiculous examples about animals and colors or made up worlds. Politics, and anything based in reality, need not be mentioned.

In fact, you can learn logic and critical thinking using only symbols if you were so inclined. It's called symbolic logic.

In sum- I don't get what you're trying to say here.

I am looking for responses that are supposedly based on critical thinking.

The first thing that came to my mind using "critical thinking" was political indoctrination camp as opposed to higher learning institution given all that I have seen that goes on in colleges today. Such as running people of stages and throwing things at some who come to give lectures.
I know. People who don't go to college would never do something like that....
Why would such things happen in a supposed unbiased, higher learning, critical thinking institution?
Because humans are imperfect......?
Only politically indoctrinated people or retarded morons
or humans...
would do such a things.Are colleges admitting retarded morons now?
That depends- do these "retarded morons" have the appropriate GPA? Did they pass the appropriate tests with the appropriate test scores? Do they fit all of the other university criteria if necessary and can they afford the tuition? If so, then yes.
That's the only explanation short of political indoctrination.
ORLY? Or maybe there is a much simpler explanation than "all colleges are political indoctrination camps who accept a bunch of retarded morons that find it acceptable to run people off stages."

And part of the explanation might be that your analysis is lacking in the critical thinking department, ironically enough.

Booing people off stage in college universities is an absolutely "new" development on college campuses. And why is it that only people of specified political ideologies get booed off stage and those who represent the 90% are welcomed with open arms and accolades. These must be some kind of weird anomalies that can be easily explained. I'm sure it's way beyond my level of critical thinking.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 7:01:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/21/2012 6:19:24 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/20/2012 11:01:18 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/17/2012 11:09:45 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/15/2012 7:18:04 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/14/2012 9:06:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
I am Told that college teaches "critical thinking" among other things. What would a person deduce using "critical thinking" the idea of 90% of all high school teachers and college professors being of the same political ideology and would this be a healty enviroment for the discussion and admission of alternative ideas other than the 90% majority.

If it were true that "critical thinking" forced all people to be the same political ideology, then all college graduates would be of the same political ideology, or 90% as you say. That simply isn't true. Logic is secular. Argument and debate are secular. It's neither here nor there and you can learn logic and argument via only ridiculous examples about animals and colors or made up worlds. Politics, and anything based in reality, need not be mentioned.

In fact, you can learn logic and critical thinking using only symbols if you were so inclined. It's called symbolic logic.

In sum- I don't get what you're trying to say here.

I am looking for responses that are supposedly based on critical thinking.

The first thing that came to my mind using "critical thinking" was political indoctrination camp as opposed to higher learning institution given all that I have seen that goes on in colleges today. Such as running people of stages and throwing things at some who come to give lectures.
I know. People who don't go to college would never do something like that....
Why would such things happen in a supposed unbiased, higher learning, critical thinking institution?
Because humans are imperfect......?
Only politically indoctrinated people or retarded morons
or humans...
would do such a things.Are colleges admitting retarded morons now?
That depends- do these "retarded morons" have the appropriate GPA? Did they pass the appropriate tests with the appropriate test scores? Do they fit all of the other university criteria if necessary and can they afford the tuition? If so, then yes.
That's the only explanation short of political indoctrination.
ORLY? Or maybe there is a much simpler explanation than "all colleges are political indoctrination camps who accept a bunch of retarded morons that find it acceptable to run people off stages."

And part of the explanation might be that your analysis is lacking in the critical thinking department, ironically enough.

Booing people off stage in college universities is an absolutely "new" development on college campuses. And why is it that only people of specified political ideologies get booed off stage and those who represent the 90% are welcomed with open arms and accolades. These must be some kind of weird anomalies that can be easily explained. I'm sure it's way beyond my level of critical thinking.

It may just be.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
sadolite
Posts: 8,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 10:37:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The 800 pound gorilla that no one sees. Did you hear the latest? A teacher forces a student to write a paper about how to discredit and otherwise write negative crap about the Republican candidates for President. Ya, no bias on this campus. Parents complain about this bullcrap and low and behold the school must also do the same for Obama. If you think are schools are not indoctrination camps your living in a world of absolute denial.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 11:35:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/22/2012 10:37:41 PM, sadolite wrote:
The 800 pound gorilla that no one sees. Did you hear the latest? A teacher forces a student to write a paper about how to discredit and otherwise write negative crap about the Republican candidates for President. Ya, no bias on this campus. Parents complain about this bullcrap and low and behold the school must also do the same for Obama. If you think are schools are not indoctrination camps your living in a world of absolute denial.

I never said there was no bias. I just said that there isn't a mass conspiracy against everything you hold dear. You'll need a lot more evidence than "this one professor at this one university gave this one assignment that could be viewed as anti-republican" to prove that all colleges are "indoctrination camps." Sorry.

Universities are run by human beings. Human beings can't be objective on all fronts at all times. Do you believe it is even possible to run an entirely unbiased educational institution? I don't. But that's no reason to go all conspiracy theorist on everyone.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2012 7:00:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/22/2012 11:35:12 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/22/2012 10:37:41 PM, sadolite wrote:
The 800 pound gorilla that no one sees. Did you hear the latest? A teacher forces a student to write a paper about how to discredit and otherwise write negative crap about the Republican candidates for President. Ya, no bias on this campus. Parents complain about this bullcrap and low and behold the school must also do the same for Obama. If you think are schools are not indoctrination camps your living in a world of absolute denial.

I never said there was no bias. I just said that there isn't a mass conspiracy against everything you hold dear. You'll need a lot more evidence than "this one professor at this one university gave this one assignment that could be viewed as anti-republican" to prove that all colleges are "indoctrination camps." Sorry.

Universities are run by human beings. Human beings can't be objective on all fronts at all times. Do you believe it is even possible to run an entirely unbiased educational institution? I don't. But that's no reason to go all conspiracy theorist on everyone.

The Fool: I know what conspiricy you are thinking. lol ;)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2012 7:37:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Fool: Eh. Critical thinking is a deritive of Critical Philosophy, most demonstrated in the Kant Major work, The Critique of Pure Reason. Which is where we get the name Critical. Critical thinking is to help your ability, to filter bullsh!t. It is abstract in nature, in it deals with understanding the strength and weaknesses of rational argumentation. Rather then any argument imparticular. Its its own course or more depending how much you care about making sense in world. lol. In Canada its first year Compulsary course in most University Programs. You are probably referring to a general advance in such skill which you do get over time through understanding the dynamics of thought by constant practices in accedemic learning in general. The more diverse you studying the better allround you critical thinking may become. But its no replacement for the real thing. And it can be used for the wrong purposes. The best way it can be used is to go through what you consider knowledge all to see if can pass the critical Test. If it can't try make it connect in a different way. If it still can't Toss it, its garbage. Use it to fix bugs in your overall structure of knowledge. I quarentee it will give you a great leap on you over all IQ and your ability to reason and understand the world. Most people are bias, and only use it on others but never themselves. Its better to fix it as early in life as possible, to the knowledge you add to it is bug free aka refined. Someone like me will spot it right away in a debate. I was part of the board of education it would introduced in elementary school slowly. Its much more efficient to teach kids how to reason then before we teach fill them with information. Rather then after. Or never for people who don't get post-secondary education. It increased the efficiency of Country and society.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL