Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

If You were the Teacher...What would you do?

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 10:22:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is an informal way to discuss your views of teaching.

I am an advocate of pushing students to the very border of their endurance, as well as a fanatic over handouts, lectures, sheets from the textbook, and as well as readings from the textbook.

I recall during a recent discussion with a friend of mine my fantasies as an AP World History teacher. Every day would be a lecture on a certain topic--the Enlightenment, the Medieval World view and how the scientific revolution upturned it and some of the basic precepts of that time period, the significance of the concept of the total war and how it was enforced, and so forth. I'd simply have my students sit, with handouts--documents, worksheets, essays from historians, and so forth as I lecture on and on.

There would be textbook readings in class and as for homework where students jot down notes. Homework would be answering short answer responses, with one essay due each week as well as a quiz/test on the chapter on the internet on every Friday (as homework).

I'd expect my students to literally remember the textbook while maintaining a flexible mind in formulating answers, comparing trends, analyzing the milestones of the period, and so forth. There is no rest; a ceasefire is might as well as a fall to the ground.

With that being said, how would you do as a teacher in a particular subject?

I'd make sure to update some more of my 'fantasies'. :)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 10:26:42 PM
I would bring back the paddle.

And if the parents dont like it I'll paddle those whiners too.

Thats the way to go.Kids were sooo much better behaved when my district still had the paddle
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 10:29:26 PM
And as a footnote, I do not like asking my students to simply write the facts or the who, what...when details of the time period. Class and homework are divided on the basis of learning (the facts) and interpreting (comparing, drawing inferences, and arguing as well as justifying).

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 10:29:33 PM
MIG, I'm not gonna lie. I'd hate you and your class to death.

If I were a teacher, I'd only have the students read things for homework (no notes or worksheets). Then in class I'd have them debate it.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 10:31:45 PM
At 3/18/2012 10:29:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
MIG, I'm not gonna lie. I'd hate you and your class to death.

If I were a teacher, I'd only have the students read things for homework (no notes or worksheets). Then in class I'd have them debate it.

Keep in mind that I may discard some aspects. But the format of the class is only restricted to AP World History classes.

Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 12:56:52 AM
MIG, you have some interesting teaching approaches. I'll try and suggest a teaching format for history.

Firstly, as teacher I'd give out no homework. I define homework as separate from assignments and assessments, of which there'd be weekly examinations and such. Homework in the form of worksheets, experiments and so forth would not exist. I would stress higher order thinking skills and place a massive focus on metacognition.

The first thing I'd do would be teach students about how to think. They'd realise that different people have different learning styles and so I'd give them the freedom during parts of class to learn accordingly.

I'd focus on pushing students to their limits mentally, not physically. Students should be exposed to many different ideas and have to act and think on them as swiftly as possible. Notes would be given as supplementary material. Nevertheless, I'd focus on not whether the student has done work but whether they understand something - ie. can they verbally explain it.

I'd definitely focus on lecturing as a teaching method. However, the most important thing is to develop analysis skills and so forth. With such skills one can then do many things.

Of course, there's no way I can explain my views on education in a single post, so I won't try. I personally think your system MIG is a bit too relentless and therefore wouldn't effectively encourage creative thinking, but alas, I do not have the time to construct a detailed response.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 4:01:42 PM
At 3/19/2012 12:56:52 AM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
MIG, you have some interesting teaching approaches. I'll try and suggest a teaching format for history.

Firstly, as teacher I'd give out no homework. I define homework as separate from assignments and assessments, of which there'd be weekly examinations and such. Homework in the form of worksheets, experiments and so forth would not exist. I would stress higher order thinking skills and place a massive focus on metacognition.

Yes, I agree that cognition is important as well as some flexibility, though notice that I was specifically concerning AP classes that generally focus on themes, patterns, and facts of history. Critiques of the actions as well as personalities of individuals, debates on causes and implications of events are generally not considered (correct me if I'm wrong) due to an "objective" perspective.

Although I suppose extending the classwork to such areas while maintaining a strong base in interpretation and analysis might prove fruitful.

The first thing I'd do would be teach students about how to think. They'd realise that different people have different learning styles and so I'd give them the freedom during parts of class to learn accordingly.
Hmm....I'd agree though I have tried to compensate for the rigidness of my style by letting students use their own styles in taking notes--flash cards, index cards, sheets, handouts, essays or passages, and so forth.

I'd focus on pushing students to their limits mentally, not physically. Students should be exposed to many different ideas and have to act and think on them as swiftly as possible. Notes would be given as supplementary material. Nevertheless, I'd focus on not whether the student has done work but whether they understand something - ie. can they verbally explain it.
Interesting, though in history that would demand a host of perspectives for "true" objective consideration.

I'd definitely focus on lecturing as a teaching method. However, the most important thing is to develop analysis skills and so forth. With such skills one can then do many things.
Hmmm....I might do so though I wonder how you'd respond to my idea of having classtime reserved for learning and homework for interpretation and broader thinking.

Of course, there's no way I can explain my views on education in a single post, so I won't try. I personally think your system MIG is a bit too relentless and therefore wouldn't effectively encourage creative thinking, but alas, I do not have the time to construct a detailed response.

Hmm...to be fair, I specifically chose a rigid style not to encourage creative thinking but the basis mental functions necessary to analyze patterns (continuities essay), documents (depending on handouts or sheets), and compare events.

However, I might extend beyond that...if I was actually teaching.:)

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 4:15:46 PM
At 3/19/2012 4:10:08 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I would dress everyday as Batman and teach normally. I would refuse to acknowledge the costume.

Then why dress up as Batman everyday?

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 4:16:13 PM
At 3/19/2012 4:15:46 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
I would dress everyday as Batman and teach normally. I would refuse to acknowledge the costume.

Why would you dress up as Batman then?

Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 4:21:54 PM
At 3/19/2012 4:16:13 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

If I can't inspire my pupils to work through my content, then I can inspire them to not be f*cking dullards. An interesting underachiever is a greater boon to society than an above average intelligence office worker.
To acknowledge the costume would be to rob it of its power.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 4:30:22 PM
At 3/19/2012 4:21:54 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

If I can't inspire my pupils to work through my content, then I can inspire them to not be f*cking dullards. An interesting underachiever is a greater boon to society than an above average intelligence office worker.

And what of the actual lesson plan???

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 4:36:28 PM
Off myself
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 4:56:35 PM
I'd have semi-weekly tests which would take place on Fridays. Then, on the following Mondays, the 5 lowest scorers would have to participate in a battle royale to the death, with the winner getting to stay in my class.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 5:05:16 PM
At 3/19/2012 4:30:22 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 3/19/2012 4:21:54 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

And what of the actual lesson plan???

I would probably teach economics if I were to choose a subject to teach, so I would teach what they need to know using powerpoint (so many graphs in economics, its pretty much a given) and my dulcet tones, with enough personal anecdotes to make it interesting (about 1 per 6 minutes) - I would also try and indoctrinate them politically.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 10:18:07 PM
Ice cream party every day. Learn the material at home because the tests and quizzes are hard as fvck.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2012 1:24:17 AM
At 3/19/2012 4:01:42 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Yes, I agree that cognition is important as well as some flexibility, though notice that I was specifically concerning AP classes that generally focus on themes, patterns, and facts of history. Critiques of the actions as well as personalities of individuals, debates on causes and implications of events are generally not considered (correct me if I'm wrong) due to an "objective" perspective.

While I consider analysis of patterns and such a critical feature, analysis tends to be a lower order skill than the ability to evaluate or assess, so I see evaluation as an even higher goal. Furthermore, learning history in and of itself is fascinating, yet in terms of justifying why we learn history it's important to be able to make statements about history. I don't do AP classes in Australia, so I can't effectively comment, yet I see some need to comment about an action. We must apply this knowledge in some context - ie. Knowing about the Holocaust is a useful starting point, but we need to draw some conclusion from it. While I strongly oppose any unwarranted imposition of moral values or something, one must have something to relate to. The Mejii Restoration is fascinating due to many reasons, one of them being how Japan modernised, to give an example.

Although I suppose extending the classwork to such areas while maintaining a strong base in interpretation and analysis might prove fruitful.

Interesting, though in history that would demand a host of perspectives for "true" objective consideration.

I don't state that one can achieve true objective consideration. Indeed, to achieve such consideration one must lose the opportunity to learn many other things. I think that some form of consideration should be explored though.

Hmmm....I might do so though I wonder how you'd respond to my idea of having classtime reserved for learning and homework for interpretation and broader thinking.

I have a question for you. In your first post you state that you'd lecture on and on. You also stated that the class would focus on textbook readings. It's impossible to do both simultaneously, let alone do questions at the same time (you could lecture and have the students do questions, but that would require a low number of questions to allow them to hear you speak) , along with any other suggestions. I'd like to see this dilemma resolved.

The learning and homework idea is interesting. However, I don't think that homework should cover completely new content (that's what teachers are for) . Furthermore, the importance of critical thinking should not be left to the incompetence of many students to attempt.

Hmm...to be fair, I specifically chose a rigid style not to encourage creative thinking but the basis mental functions necessary to analyze patterns (continuities essay), documents (depending on handouts or sheets), and compare events.

I suppose we could both lament the difficulties involved with a crowded curriculum. Obviously, teachers themselves only have limited control over what they must teach, but I'd try and cut out what I deem to be relatively irrelevant subjects. I think some textbook review document you once posted on DDO covers such issues quite well.

However, I might extend beyond that...if I was actually teaching.:)

Yes, why if I were a teacher things would be interesting. Alas though, I am not.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it