Jump to topic:

An Education Victory in Texas

wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 5:08:17 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
While this is only the first step, the following classes are no longer compulsory for graduation:
-Health
-Speech
-Tech

And we no longer have to take 1.5 years of P.E. We now only have to take 1.0.

I believe that the next step is to lessen the required years of H.S English.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 5:11:53 PM
Congrats?

I'm curious as to why you want to lessen the amount of years that English is taken, I assume compulsory English as well. How many years are you required to take it as it stands now?
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 5:13:52 PM
For who do the rules apply?
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 5:15:52 PM
At 7/7/2009 5:11:53 PM, Volkov wrote:
Congrats?

I'm curious as to why you want to lessen the amount of years that English is taken, I assume compulsory English as well. How many years are you required to take it as it stands now?

4. Even reducing it to 2 would be fine, though I want it eliminated completely for H.S.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 5:16:16 PM
At 7/7/2009 5:13:52 PM, mongoose wrote:
For who do the rules apply?

I'm not sure if it includes us or just the incoming freshmen.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 5:18:12 PM
At 7/7/2009 5:15:52 PM, wjmelements wrote:
4. Even reducing it to 2 would be fine, though I want it eliminated completely for H.S.

Any specific reason why, if I may ask?
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 5:19:02 PM
Where did you get this information?
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 5:22:47 PM
At 7/7/2009 5:19:02 PM, mongoose wrote:

My mom told me. I think she heard it on the radio.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 5:23:12 PM
At 7/7/2009 5:18:12 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/7/2009 5:15:52 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Any specific reason why, if I may ask?

http://www.debate.org...
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 5:27:46 PM
At 7/7/2009 5:19:02 PM, mongoose wrote:

I found it on the internet. It confirms everything I just wrote. http://www.dentonrc.com...
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 4:24:37 AM
At 7/7/2009 5:08:17 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Given the fact that Texans are amongst the fattest people on the planet, I would hardly consider a "reduction" in physical exercise a "victory"!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 6:48:09 AM
It's a victory for their brains, not their bodies.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
iamadragon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 7:08:37 AM
At 7/7/2009 5:23:12 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Pretty garbage argument on your part. A school's job is to provide the best education possible regardless of what a kid will actually do in the future.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 7:09:25 AM
At 7/8/2009 7:08:37 AM, iamadragon wrote:
At 7/7/2009 5:23:12 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Pretty garbage argument on your part. A school's job is to provide the best education possible regardless of what a kid will actually do in the future.

Contradiction. What constitutes the best education possible depends on what that future holds.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
iamadragon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 7:12:23 AM
Maybe. I'm thinking more high school. High schools should try to provide a good, broad education, especially one that helps a student go to college and possibly higher forms of education.

A high school shouldn't change its curriculum on the basis that some students will end up taking blue-collar jobs that don't really require much school education at all.

I thought my point was obvious enough. Maybe it wasn't. Maybe you were just jumping on something for no reason at all.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 9:51:59 AM
At 7/8/2009 7:12:23 AM, iamadragon wrote:
Maybe. I'm thinking more high school. High schools should try to provide a good, broad education, especially one that helps a student go to college and possibly higher forms of education.

A high school shouldn't change its curriculum on the basis that some students will end up taking blue-collar jobs that don't really require much school education at all.

That isn't what this place is doing. "Lawyer", one of WJM's examples, is not a blue collar job. It's eliminating, essentially, ballast requirements, things that very few possible futures have any use for. :)

What do you need literature classes for? Being a book reviewer? Prolly not college.

Lot of jobs in that sector ^_^_^
iamadragon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 1:54:35 PM
Oh, I actually didn't see that part.

Anyway, I also believe that a general education is something to be desired, especially for young people.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 2:10:25 PM
At 7/8/2009 6:48:09 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
It's a victory for their brains, not their bodies.

Regular exercise is actually good for the brain.

That said, Texans still have to do:

- Cattle ranching
- Oil Economics 101
- Family Values and Why Yankee liberals are heathens
- How to speak incomprehensible English to anyone North of the Carolinas
- Confederation Flag Hanging

An educational breakthrough for Ireland would be non-compulsory Irish (The least practical thing in the world).
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 5:20:21 PM
At 7/8/2009 7:09:25 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Contradiction. What constitutes the best education possible depends on what that future holds.

I think one of the main points of general educational practices is to equip students with knowledge for whatever the future holds. Unfortunately, since we do not know the future and high school students are notoriously stupid when deciding their careers in the future, covering all bases seems like a very good idea.

Plus, teaching English, mathematics and etc. can help influence a student to choose what he wants because it expands their options - instead of teaching someone only to be a truck driver, teach him some English and maybe he'll want to be a linguistics master, or author, or whatever.

Letting all high school courses be optional will most likely make our population stupider and even less qualified for advanced positions than it is now. Besides - what is the harm in knowing a little Shakespeare?
Lifeisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 5:24:17 PM
At 7/8/2009 5:20:21 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/8/2009 7:09:25 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

I think one of the main points of general educational practices is to equip students with knowledge for whatever the future holds. Unfortunately, since we do not know the future and high school students are notoriously stupid when deciding their careers in the future, covering all bases seems like a very good idea.

Notoriously stupid!?!

Well, okay, maybe that is true for the majority... I'm so disgusted by my generation...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 5:43:39 PM
At 7/8/2009 5:24:17 PM, Lifeisgood wrote:
Notoriously stupid!?!

Well, okay, maybe that is true for the majority... I'm so disgusted by my generation...

As a former high school student, I speak from experience. It took me until after I stopped going to high school to realize what I wanted to do. But, that being said, I wouldn't have realized what I wanted to do had I not gone to my compulsory classes.

I used to think I wanted to be a lawyer, because my family said I would make a good one - but I found out through English that my strengths lied with literature and writing. Through math, I found out that any field directly related to the subject I would completely and utterly fail in.

This is why these high school courses are important - expand your mind, and you may find out you want to do something you didn't know you could do. Then you go to university or college, and since the courses there aren't compulsory, you can choose what route you want to go. Compulsory university classes I would be against completely, by the way.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 7:38:53 PM
At 7/8/2009 4:24:37 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 7/7/2009 5:08:17 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Given the fact that Texans are amongst the fattest people on the planet, I would hardly consider a "reduction" in physical exercise a "victory"!

Actually, what constitutes as a "P.E. credit" is not what something that would necessarily make us thinner.

And why does government seek to make us more attractive through compulsory education? What kind of goal is that?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 7:41:44 PM
At 7/8/2009 7:38:53 PM, wjmelements wrote:
And why does government seek to make us more attractive through compulsory education? What kind of goal is that?

I think the goal of P.E. education is to teach students the basics of sports and the importance of exercise, healthy and active lifestyles, etc. It is one of those things that Americans and Canadians direly need indoctrinated into them.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 7:55:29 PM
At 7/8/2009 7:41:44 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/8/2009 7:38:53 PM, wjmelements wrote:

I think the goal of P.E. education is to teach students the basics of sports and the importance of exercise, healthy and active lifestyles, etc. It is one of those things that Americans and Canadians direly need indoctrinated into them.

What's the point of that. In Canada, I can understand (because the gov't has to pay the medical costs). But in america, with information available through the internet, and currently with individuals responsible for their own health, I see no reason to try to force health decisions on people.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 8:00:52 PM
At 7/8/2009 7:55:29 PM, wjmelements wrote:
What's the point of that. In Canada, I can understand (because the gov't has to pay the medical costs). But in america, with information available through the internet, and currently with individuals responsible for their own health, I see no reason to try to force health decisions on people.

Bad health equals less work equals less production equals less revenue equals less taxes for the government.

Plus, the less healthy someone is, the more their insurance rate goes up. It is more beneficial to the individual that must pay for his health to learn healthy lifestyles earlier on. If they learn it early, then maybe they'll put it into practice later before it is too late, as it is for many people.

Obesity isn't a huge problem for Health Canada costs anyways. We're more worried about the aging population than the obese population.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 8:43:20 PM
Letting all high school courses be optional will most likely make our population stupider and even less qualified for advanced positions than it is now.
Populations can't be stupid.

Attempting to prop up those within it who are by inclination stupid will perpetuate such stupidity. Much like evil cannot survive unmixed with the good, stupid cannot survive if you don't inject intelligence into it (in this caseat the cost of the intelligent whose taxes and whatnot go into it and whose time is wasted by requirements might I add.)
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 8:54:50 PM
At 7/8/2009 8:43:20 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Attempting to prop up those within it who are by inclination stupid will perpetuate such stupidity. Much like evil cannot survive unmixed with the good, stupid cannot survive if you don't inject intelligence into it (in this case at the cost of the intelligent whose taxes and whatnot go into it and whose time is wasted by requirements might I add.)

The difference is that those that are by "inclination" stupid may not be stupid in certain areas, and those that are stupid in certain areas could use their basic knowledge of other subjects as a tool for furthering their own career or life.

My contribution to the mathematics world would be quite useless, but in literature and writing I could be quite useful.
Regardless of the fact that it took my exposure to high school courses to learn this, knowing basic things about math, science and other subjects I don't excel in cannot hurt the profession I choose to pursue.
For example, if I were to write a story about some breakthrough in the mathematics field, having knowledge of what the basics are in the field I am writing about can't hurt, and can in fact further my story.

A trucker can use the basic knowledge of math to understand the amount of storage available in his trailer, the weight of the products inside, how many kilometers it will take to get to his destination, etc. He could also use his basic knowledge of English to read a book, write out reports, etc etc etc.

To say such courses are not needed just because an individual may not excel in certain areas and that suddenly means they are a burden on the taxpayers, is ignoring certain facts about life and the application of your knowledge, whether you chose to learn that knowledge or not.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 9:12:32 PM
At 7/8/2009 8:54:50 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/8/2009 8:43:20 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Attempting to prop up those within it who are by inclination stupid will perpetuate such stupidity. Much like evil cannot survive unmixed with the good, stupid cannot survive if you don't inject intelligence into it (in this case at the cost of the intelligent whose taxes and whatnot go into it and whose time is wasted by requirements might I add.)

The difference is that those that are by "inclination" stupid may not be stupid in certain areas
The kind of stupid we are talking about here doesn't work that way, it's basically being lazy.

A trucker can use the basic knowledge of math to understand the amount of storage available in his trailer, the weight of the products inside, how many kilometers it will take to get to his destination, etc. He could also use his basic knowledge of English to read a book, write out reports, etc etc etc.
Neither basic knowledge of math, nor basic knowledge of English (which I agree schools should require of their students-- if students are permitted to opt out of being students altogether of course), is comparable to writing essays about the Literary History of the Left, aka high school English.