Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

learning second languages in an early age

buelg
Posts: 79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 8:08:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
As I was studying english as my second language (ESL) in an academy, by the way I'm now basically fluent... I thought about the reason I am learning a second language, and if you are more young, what do you have as a benefit if you learn a second language at an early age. I decided to ask about your opinions. Can you give me the reason why learning a second language in an early age can be beneficial?
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 10:13:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/11/2012 8:08:34 AM, buelg wrote:
As I was studying english as my second language (ESL) in an academy, by the way I'm now basically fluent... I thought about the reason I am learning a second language, and if you are more young, what do you have as a benefit if you learn a second language at an early age. I decided to ask about your opinions. Can you give me the reason why learning a second language in an early age can be beneficial?

I read once that it increases a childs IQ or some other measure of intellegence. I can look that up for you when I get home.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 10:19:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/11/2012 8:08:34 AM, buelg wrote:
As I was studying english as my second language (ESL) in an academy, by the way I'm now basically fluent... I thought about the reason I am learning a second language, and if you are more young, what do you have as a benefit if you learn a second language at an early age. I decided to ask about your opinions. Can you give me the reason why learning a second language in an early age can be beneficial?

It'd be actually more beneficial if the second language you learn is not related to your first language.

This helps in learning because the mind has to recognize patterns that are different that the ones it's accustomed to.

The basic premise is that if you know why something is different than some other thing, you come to know and understand that something better.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 11:58:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/11/2012 10:13:04 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 4/11/2012 8:08:34 AM, buelg wrote:
As I was studying english as my second language (ESL) in an academy, by the way I'm now basically fluent... I thought about the reason I am learning a second language, and if you are more young, what do you have as a benefit if you learn a second language at an early age. I decided to ask about your opinions. Can you give me the reason why learning a second language in an early age can be beneficial?

I read once that it increases a childs IQ or some other measure of intellegence. I can look that up for you when I get home.

According to the book Bright from the Start (http://books.google.com...) (which is very good and scientifically based), bilingual children "perform certain cognitive tasks better than monolingual kids". There is also speculation that, because bilingual children learn that words are arbitrary, they are better at abstracting general patterns from particulars instances.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
baggins
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 12:54:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/11/2012 8:08:34 AM, buelg wrote:
As I was studying english as my second language (ESL) in an academy, by the way I'm now basically fluent... I thought about the reason I am learning a second language, and if you are more young, what do you have as a benefit if you learn a second language at an early age. I decided to ask about your opinions. Can you give me the reason why learning a second language in an early age can be beneficial?

Knowing multiple language since childhood is really beneficial, provided you really know them. On other hand, if trying to learn multiple languages leaves a student with lack of confidence with either language, then it is horrible. It would be better to learn one language very well rather than two languages improperly.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:06:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/11/2012 10:13:04 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 4/11/2012 8:08:34 AM, buelg wrote:
As I was studying english as my second language (ESL) in an academy, by the way I'm now basically fluent... I thought about the reason I am learning a second language, and if you are more young, what do you have as a benefit if you learn a second language at an early age. I decided to ask about your opinions. Can you give me the reason why learning a second language in an early age can be beneficial?

I read once that it increases a childs IQ or some other measure of intellegence. I can look that up for you when I get home.
I'd like to see a source for that. It's far more likely that children with higher IQ's are more likely to learn second languages with ease.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 2:09:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/11/2012 8:08:34 AM, buelg wrote:
Can you give me the reason why learning a second language in an early age can be beneficial?

It's easier to learn languages when you're young, and knowing more than one language is extremely beneficial as an adult.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 5:40:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is interesting; just saw this today:

A series of experiments on more than 300 people from the US and Korea found that thinking in a second language reduced deep-seated, misleading biases that unduly influence how risks and benefits are perceived.

http://arstechnica.com...
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
nikidavis
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 3:07:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm currently trying to learn German. The hardest part is that I start and then don't continue after a few weeks.
One day I saw a man walking down the street, and he walked up to me and said, "Did you know that humans are the only species who tear down trees to make paper, and then write 'save the trees!' on them." I was amazed, then everyone else looked at him and glared with annoyance. I was the only one that actually cared, about the trees, about the man, about the world.