Jump to topic:

Colleges

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 1:32:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Since I scored in the top 50,000 for people who took the PSAT this year, I have the chance for the Merit Scholar organization to write to two colleges of my choice recommending me. I'm thinking UT Austin and an Ivy League, but what would you guys suggest? I have absolutely no clue what I want my occupation to be.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 1:36:08 PM
Might be something you'd like reading here. This is from some months ago.

http://www.debate.org...
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 10:22:31 PM
University of Miami is where its at ;D
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 10:31:11 PM
At 4/21/2012 1:32:42 PM, thett3 wrote:
Since I scored in the top 50,000 for people who took the PSAT this year, I have the chance for the Merit Scholar organization to write to two colleges of my choice recommending me. I'm thinking UT Austin and an Ivy League, but what would you guys suggest? I have absolutely no clue what I want my occupation to be.

Columbia University ;)
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 10:32:17 PM

Unless you get some kind of scholarship, ivy league schools are completely overrated. They are extraordinarily expensive, extraordinarily hard to get into, even if you are the top of your class and a merit scholar. If you really want an ivy league education look at one of the military academies. Have about the same acceptance rates, they are free, plus, you get an ivy league education. You have to go into the military afterwards for 4 years, but, I don't know what you think about that.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 10:39:01 PM
At 4/21/2012 10:31:11 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Columbia University ;)

Yes, make sure to take pictures of royal If you go :).

I was in New York city today. I was thinking of shouting are "are you royal?" to every young Indian I could find to see If I could get a reaction from someone.

It could work.......
Open borders debate:
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 4:10:21 AM
Really, your college choice should depend on what your goals are. If you get a full ride to an elite school (there are good schools outside the Ivy League, I promise!) then go there for undergraduate. If not, go to where you can get the most money, but where the institution will prepare you to go to grad school. I got a full ride on my undergraduate, for various reasons, and I have no outstanding student loan debt. I made the choice to go where I did because I didn't want to be five figures under before I even found my way into law school. Most state schools are good, although some are not, so be choosy.

When you're visiting colleges, look at it like this is the place you are going to live for four years. I wanted to be far enough away from home to be able to live my own life but close enough to be reachable in the event of something happening. This has proven to be an excellent choice, but I fully understand my friends who wanted to get the hell out of dodge, again, for various reasons.

Visit a lot of schools nearby or far away. Know as best you can what you're getting into. Naturally, you should take the tour that every campus offers, but do exploring on your own. The inarticulate baboon (who probably majors in business or something equally soul crushing, like early childhood education or exercise science) who will most likely be giving the tour will only show you so much. Walk through the building, sit in on classes and talk to some of the professors. Recognize that it is best to email professors beforehand, and know a thing or two about what they do. Professors like to talk about themselves... or at least what they've recently published. If they haven't published anything lately.... well... form your own conclusions, lol.

Also, get to know the dining options near by. Get a feel for what you'll be eating. Get to know the area too. Some people like secluded campuses. Others (such as myself) like to live in cities. Know what you want and then look for it. Pick the school that satisfies the majority of your wants, and never look back.
Tsar of DDO
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 5:40:25 PM
At 5/23/2012 5:40:06 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Congrats Thett. May I recommend Illinois State University?

This was a joke.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 5:42:01 PM
Thett, I wouldn't bother sending it to your state school if they already have a program for Merit Scholars. You will get the scholarship they offer anyways. The best thing to do is to send it to an elite school that you want to notice you.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 5:52:52 PM
Ivy Leagues should be top-choices if one is able to get into them, and won't be placing a big financial burden on himself in the future. However, the quality of education is top-notch in a handful regular colleges, so I think that suffices for most people. I'm not sure about USA, but in some European countries people can take any kind of courses, then switch if they change their minds. It's free here.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 5:53:41 PM
Auburn University
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 6:15:15 PM
Brown is your best ivy choice if you are interested in an open curriculum, minimal mandatory requirements, and a diverse student body. PM me if you'd like specifics.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 6:16:32 PM
At 5/23/2012 6:15:15 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Brown is your best ivy choice if you are interested in an open curriculum, minimal mandatory requirements, and a diverse student body. PM me if you'd like specifics.

Are you at Brown? My interviewer last year told me I would be a horrible fit, and I agree. It seems too laid back for me.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 6:22:39 PM
At 5/23/2012 6:16:32 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 5/23/2012 6:15:15 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Are you at Brown? My interviewer last year told me I would be a horrible fit, and I agree. It seems too laid back for me.

I graduated in '08. The atmosphere is very laid back, open-minded, and cooperative. It can definitely be a shock to the system, especially when compared to the other ivies.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 6:26:26 PM
If you want to be super laid back, then go to a state college and major in psychology, sociology, criminology, [insert] studies or communications.
Open borders debate:
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 5:27:27 PM
I'm not too keen on the Ivy League schools. I think they suffer from an in-grown elitism. Still, none are bad.

UT Austin is a good choice. Some places worth considering are Stanford, UC Davis, Duke, and Chapel Hill. Maybe Rice. I'd put Stanford at the top. See what appeals to you. Please try to major in something useful.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 5:46:10 PM
At 5/23/2012 6:22:39 PM, Maikuru wrote:

I graduated in '08. The atmosphere is very laid back, open-minded, and cooperative. It can definitely be a shock to the system, especially when compared to the other ivies.

Wow, avoid Brown.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 10:32:47 PM
At 5/28/2012 5:49:43 PM, Cobo wrote:
Depends on what you are trying to major in....

Yeah, laid back is really good for a career as a government regulator. You don't need to know anything.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 10:16:45 PM
At 5/28/2012 5:27:27 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I'm not too keen on the Ivy League schools. I think they suffer from an in-grown elitism. Still, none are bad.

Some are worse than others. U Penn is fantastic. Princeton not so much. Harvard, Yale, Cornell and Columbia are all good (obviously). All of this I base on friends I have there, so take this lovely second hand information for what it is, lol.

UT Austin is a good choice. Some places worth considering are Stanford, UC Davis, Duke, and Chapel Hill. Maybe Rice. I'd put Stanford at the top. See what appeals to you.

Stanford I would put at the top of the list. UC Davis... ok. Chapel Hill is excellent. Duke has all the pretension of Harvard without the merit.

Please try to major in something useful.

The engineer is more objectively valuable than the artist.
The worker has more worth than the philosopher.
The industrialist outranks the humanities professor.
The capitalist always wins.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 10:18:34 PM
At 5/29/2012 5:16:29 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
I'd recommend University of Chicago.

Especially for economics.
Tsar of DDO
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2012 10:34:25 PM

You trollin'?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2012 3:12:52 PM
At 6/8/2012 10:34:25 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

You trollin'?

No... did it seem like I was?
Tsar of DDO
saraparker617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2013 2:59:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Choosing a college and taking admission in your desired college is one big task. You need to make sure that you fall into the criteria that is being asked of them and you are eligible for that. You should have a strong academic background to enroll yourself in the college of your choice or you can always buy degree online from any online college you want and at any time. http://www.rochvilleuniversity.org...