Jump to topic:

New L.D Topic

Sniperjake1994
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2009 4:37:51 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I believe the new L.D topic for sept-oct is: United States law ought not recognize marriage. Anyone agree? It's a hot topic in CA. If so someone ought to start a debate, I'll probably accept it.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2009 4:40:05 PM
On that topic, I'd be PRO. The only justification for the recognizing of marriages is so that government can use this data to discriminate its income tax charges. And that is unjust.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Clockwork
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2009 5:19:53 PM
It'll either turn into a policy-oriented topic, or, more often (being a LD resolution), it will turn into a gay marriage debate.
Felonial Disenfranchisement: http://www.debate.org...
Poverty v. Environmental Protection: http://www.debate.org...
On God and Free Will: http://www.debate.org...
untitled_entity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2009 5:20:37 PM
At 7/27/2009 4:37:51 PM, Sniperjake1994 wrote:
I believe the new L.D topic for sept-oct is: United States law ought not recognize marriage. Anyone agree? It's a hot topic in CA. If so someone ought to start a debate, I'll probably accept it.

You don't think it will be the highly indebted countries should repudiate their debt?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2009 6:04:43 PM
At 7/27/2009 5:20:37 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
At 7/27/2009 4:37:51 PM, Sniperjake1994 wrote:

You don't think it will be the highly indebted countries should repudiate their debt?

Grammar fail. I actually have no idea what you're saying.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2009 8:03:38 PM
At 7/27/2009 5:19:53 PM, Clockwork wrote:
It'll either turn into a policy-oriented topic, or, more often (being a LD resolution), it will turn into a gay marriage debate.

I loll'ed.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Sniperjake1994
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2009 2:30:33 PM
There is a very high probability that many will define marriage as gay marriage...but this is quite a disadvantage because the judge already has his or her opinion on the topic, therefore your debate skills are worthless. I believe it's B.S on the spot.

Other possible Sept-Oct topics:

Resolved: On reservations, sovereignty claims by indigenous peoples ought to be prioritized above the plenary power of the United States federal government.

Resolved: A parliamentary form of government is preferable to the United States presidential system.

Resolved: United States law ought not recognize marriage.

Resolved: United States immigration policy ought to prioritize admitting skilled workers over reuniting families.

Resolved: Public high school students in the United States ought not be required to pass standardized exit exams to graduate.

Resolved: The United States ought not issue torture warrants.

I still believe the marriage topic will be chosen. One part I believe is important is the definition of marriage. Are there any philosophers on this topic?
untitled_entity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 3:56:32 PM
At 7/28/2009 2:30:33 PM, Sniperjake1994 wrote:
I still believe the marriage topic will be chosen. One part I believe is important is the definition of marriage. Are there any philosophers on this topic?

Socrates.
Narwal19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 10:51:03 AM
I believe the definition of marriage would be along the line of gay marriage because it's what everyone is CA is talking about.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 10:53:37 AM
At 8/7/2009 10:51:03 AM, Narwal19 wrote:
I believe the definition of marriage would be along the line of gay marriage because it's what everyone is CA is talking about.

Luckily, we don't let the people in CA make decisions for the entire United States :)

I'm sure most people are going to define marriage along the lines of 'civil unions'.
Its-you-or-me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2009 9:34:45 AM
At 8/15/2009 6:15:00 AM, untitled_entity wrote:
Resolved: Public high school students in the United States ought not be required to pass standardized exit exams to graduate.

Why this? There were so many other good topics out there and they chose this?
I'll show you politics in America. Here it is, right here. 'I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs.' 'I think the puppet on the left is more to my liking.' 'Hey, wait a minute, there's one guy holding out both puppets!'"-Bill Hicks
stillistand34
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 8:03:31 PM
I've done some research and there is a lot of empirical evidence out there. This is a very interesting topic once you have read topic analysis. This debate will be the neg arguing for the intrinsic value of standardized exit exams, and the aff should try to spread because there is a lot of aff evidence. The neg though, has more ground in my opinion for 2 reasons. First, the status quo which the aff can argue that the status quo is counter productive because of racial biases within the tests, The test provides one score to sum up what you have "acheived" in high school. the tests are very proportionate because the content is similar to the sat multiple choice. There is currently no writing just boring fill in the blank questions. The neg has more ground secondly because the wording of the topic. the topic is asking whether the idea of a standardized exit exam is in and of itself unjust, and the topic is not asking whether united states federal government is currently implementing standardized exit exams in a reasonable manner or better.
stillistand34
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 8:04:53 PM
At 8/16/2009 4:57:57 PM, Debatenewbie14 wrote:
Hey I really dont understand what they want us to get from this topic any help plz :)

The post above this one was in reply to your post.