Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

The concept of "Education" is a big lie.

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 1:58:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Yep, stealing a title from charleslb. I have to wonder though, how doe education work? Just memorizing these mostly pointless "essential facts?" My entire education comes from things I enjoy doing.

I read twice as fast as anyone my age, and I don't owe it to school.

I have a basic concept of history, but the kids at school don't, unless memorizing the names of Greek city-states and knowing about how cruel and unfair the British were to their colonies counts as history.

I can locate any important country on a map, whereas some kids asked me if Israel was in Europe.

They are taught about the exact process of glaciers forming (and remember it only until their semester test is over), I can access that information and ten times more in an instant from my computer.

To be honest, search engines should have made most of this "education" obselete, but they haven't. Schools provide too many jobs for the government to let go of them, and who cares if the kids are clueless? Immigrants provide all the scientific development and research we need.

Why do we have education?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 2:00:52 PM
Hahaha.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 5:24:10 PM
At 5/14/2012 1:58:09 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Yep, stealing a title from charleslb. I have to wonder though, how doe education work? Just memorizing these mostly pointless "essential facts?" My entire education comes from things I enjoy doing.

I read twice as fast as anyone my age, and I don't owe it to school.

I have a basic concept of history, but the kids at school don't, unless memorizing the names of Greek city-states and knowing about how cruel and unfair the British were to their colonies counts as history.

I can locate any important country on a map, whereas some kids asked me if Israel was in Europe.

They are taught about the exact process of glaciers forming (and remember it only until their semester test is over), I can access that information and ten times more in an instant from my computer.

To be honest, search engines should have made most of this "education" obselete, but they haven't. Schools provide too many jobs for the government to let go of them, and who cares if the kids are clueless? Immigrants provide all the scientific development and research we need.

Why do we have education?

Well, thanks, plagiarism being the sincerest form of flattery and all. Now then, I believe that I recall typing a reply in the thread that inspired your title that you haven't responded to yet. If you have the time or the inclination ...
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 3:45:17 AM
At 5/14/2012 5:24:10 PM, charleslb wrote:
Well, thanks, plagiarism being the sincerest form of flattery and all. Now then, I believe that I recall typing a reply in the thread that inspired your title that you haven't responded to yet. If you have the time or the inclination ...

1. I admire your thread naming skills. It really draws a lot of attention.

2. Unless I'm very stupid or somewhat blind, YOU did not answer MY reply. I responded to your response to the Hitler and Gandhi point.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 4:07:07 PM
At 5/15/2012 3:45:17 AM, MouthWash wrote:
At 5/14/2012 5:24:10 PM, charleslb wrote:

1. I admire your thread naming skills. It really draws a lot of attention.

2. Unless I'm very stupid or somewhat blind, YOU did not answer MY reply. I responded to your response to the Hitler and Gandhi point.

Sorry, I simply inadvertently overlooked your reply. I've just rectified that oversight, i.e., posted a response.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 3:53:55 AM
Mouthwash, you should read Pedagogy of the Oppressed, by Paulo Freire. It explores some of the systematic problems of the sort of "memorization and regurgitation" type education that Freire describes as "banking" or "deposit," and he philosophizes on what some of the impacts, in that regard, are. I read it as a freshman in college, and I have to say, it had an impact.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 3:56:19 AM
At 5/14/2012 4:38:37 PM, teekong wrote:
Read this book.
http://johntaylorgatto.com...

or the pdf version
http://mhkeehn.tripod.com...

Then you understand why we have education in its current form, and it isn't a good reason, in my opinion.

An Underground History of American Education? lol... If David Icke or Alex Jones wrote a book on schooling.... rofl.
Tsar of DDO
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 5:36:56 PM
The purpose of education is make you aware of what there is to learn, train you in basic useful skills, and give you new knowledge. The idea that you could learn to be a scientist, an engineer, a physician, or a lawyer all on your own is ridiculous.

High school is not particularly challenging for lots of people. I believe a tracking system is important so that students will stay interested and will understand how much there is to learn. However, if the problem is lack of desire to learn, then there is no cure for that.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 5:40:26 PM
At 5/28/2012 5:36:56 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
The purpose of education is make you aware of what there is to learn, train you in basic useful skills, and give you new knowledge. The idea that you could learn to be a scientist, an engineer, a physician, or a lawyer all on your own is ridiculous.

Ignoring perhaps lab training, I believe it is theoretically possible. It's really more of a motivation thing really. I don't think I learned much from the actual lectures from college, but I did learn from doing homework assignments and reading the material. I probably wouldn't have the motivation to study it on my own, but there wasn't anything inherent behind school besides the punishment of failing for not studying the material.

High school is not particularly challenging for lots of people. I believe a tracking system is important so that students will stay interested and will understand how much there is to learn. However, if the problem is lack of desire to learn, then there is no cure for that.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 10:12:09 PM
At 5/28/2012 5:40:26 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Ignoring perhaps lab training, I believe it is theoretically possible. It's really more of a motivation thing really.

The question was the purpose of education. I'll grant that there a theoretical possibility of learning a profession without guidance, but that possibility does not alter the purpose of education. I suppose it's theoretically possible to learn to swim from a book too., but why? It's a matter of efficiency.

I like the college lectures packaged on DVD by The Teaching Company. I have no fear of failing the exam, since there aren't any and I'm way past that in any case. The lectures are really valuable at getting me up to speed on new subjects: geology, dark matter, Eastern religions. It works for me and always has.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 10:18:07 PM
At 5/28/2012 10:12:09 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 5/28/2012 5:40:26 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Ignoring perhaps lab training, I believe it is theoretically possible. It's really more of a motivation thing really.

The question was the purpose of education. I'll grant that there a theoretical possibility of learning a profession without guidance, but that possibility does not alter the purpose of education. I suppose it's theoretically possible to learn to swim from a book too., but why? It's a matter of efficiency.

I like the college lectures packaged on DVD by The Teaching Company. I have no fear of failing the exam, since there aren't any and I'm way past that in any case. The lectures are really valuable at getting me up to speed on new subjects: geology, dark matter, Eastern religions. It works for me and always has.

Fascinating, thanks for sharing. There are some good open course lectures you can find on youtube. Your university, MIT, has quite a bit of lecture sreies. I'm not completely motivated to watch them though, although I complete the lecture series on "Game theory" for yale.

There's really a difference between pscychomotor knowledge and higher education learning. Math and science can be learned by a book. stuff like repair, swimming, martial arts and so forth could be more easily learned from a class. That's why I made the exception to lab skills when referring to education.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...