Total Posts:46|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is College really worth it?

quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 5:53:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm going to be a senior in High School next year, and as the school year draws to a close I see many of my friends who are seniors going off to colleges, some of them are going to very good schools such as UCs and CSU and even prestigious private schools such as Dartmouth.

But looking at the stats going on about how many college grads are either unemployed or working in jobs that did not require the degree they got, I've begun to seriously doubt that going to college (For me at least) would be very for unwise, especially if my parents were going to have to pay for it.

That's why, instead of looking at schools, I enlisted in the Air Force's DEP, hopefully to land a job as an Air Traffic Controller so that I can get out and work for the FAA, since I have no desire to be a lawyer or doctor or an engineer or any other career that requires an expensive and time consuming degree.

Thoughts on the matter or whether or not I made a wise decision?
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 6:34:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 6:27:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
If your goals change, you could always pay for a more prestigious post graduate degree.

That's one of the reasons I chose the Air Force. It's pretty simple and quick with the training they offer, to get an associates degree, and then perhaps a Bachelors with the ABC program through the GI bill if necessary.

My family is pretty well off and we are definately in the top .5%, but I'm kind of disgusted at the idea of having my parents pay for my education after they've already done so much. Nobody in my family has had their parents support them after high school, and I don't want to break that trend, so the GI Bill was definately a factor in my decision.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 8:54:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
job training can be just as good as going to a university. I did before I went to college.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 8:59:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It depends on what you want to do. You can be an officer in the air force If you go to college, and If you join a college with Air force ROTC, you can get a free education.

http://afrotc.com...
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
buckIPDA
Posts: 34
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 9:12:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
As a college bound senior who's about to graduate in no less than three days, I would say it certainly depends on what you want to do in life.

I took Dual Credit English 1301 and 1302 this year, and I can attest that it's mostly an endurance test. If nothing else, at least go to some trad school to show you have some kind of certification.
Most people will tell you it's not about who you know, but what you know when it comes to getting a job. Just do what you love and don't worry about money.
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 9:37:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 8:59:50 PM, darkkermit wrote:
It depends on what you want to do. You can be an officer in the air force If you go to college, and If you join a college with Air force ROTC, you can get a free education.

http://afrotc.com...

I'm not sure if my high school record would land me an ROTC scholarship with the drawdown coming into effect, and regardless none of the officer jobs appeal to me.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 9:39:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 9:37:25 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 8:59:50 PM, darkkermit wrote:
It depends on what you want to do. You can be an officer in the air force If you go to college, and If you join a college with Air force ROTC, you can get a free education.

http://afrotc.com...

I'm not sure if my high school record would land me an ROTC scholarship with the drawdown coming into effect, and regardless none of the officer jobs appeal to me.

I find it surprising that your grades would be that low. You are an intelligent person. Of course, intelligent people can easily get bad grades.
What is your gpa?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 9:41:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 8:54:19 PM, Oryus wrote:
job training can be just as good as going to a university. I did before I went to college.

It sounds like you did the smart thing. May I ask why you went to job training then college afterwards? What sort of work are you trying to do?
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 9:41:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 9:39:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:37:25 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 8:59:50 PM, darkkermit wrote:
It depends on what you want to do. You can be an officer in the air force If you go to college, and If you join a college with Air force ROTC, you can get a free education.

http://afrotc.com...

I'm not sure if my high school record would land me an ROTC scholarship with the drawdown coming into effect, and regardless none of the officer jobs appeal to me.

I find it surprising that your grades would be that low. You are an intelligent person. Of course, intelligent people can easily get bad grades.
What is your gpa?

About a 3.4 unweighted. It might not be that low, but the standards for those ROTC scholarships have been skyrocketing.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 9:43:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 9:41:56 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:39:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:37:25 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 8:59:50 PM, darkkermit wrote:
It depends on what you want to do. You can be an officer in the air force If you go to college, and If you join a college with Air force ROTC, you can get a free education.

http://afrotc.com...

I'm not sure if my high school record would land me an ROTC scholarship with the drawdown coming into effect, and regardless none of the officer jobs appeal to me.

I find it surprising that your grades would be that low. You are an intelligent person. Of course, intelligent people can easily get bad grades.
What is your gpa?

About a 3.4 unweighted. It might not be that low, but the standards for those ROTC scholarships have been skyrocketing.

That's pretty good. I'd at least try for it even If you decide against it.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 9:46:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 9:43:57 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:41:56 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:39:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:37:25 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 8:59:50 PM, darkkermit wrote:
It depends on what you want to do. You can be an officer in the air force If you go to college, and If you join a college with Air force ROTC, you can get a free education.

http://afrotc.com...

I'm not sure if my high school record would land me an ROTC scholarship with the drawdown coming into effect, and regardless none of the officer jobs appeal to me.

I find it surprising that your grades would be that low. You are an intelligent person. Of course, intelligent people can easily get bad grades.
What is your gpa?

About a 3.4 unweighted. It might not be that low, but the standards for those ROTC scholarships have been skyrocketing.

That's pretty good. I'd at least try for it even If you decide against it.

That's what my father's making me do. It was part of our agreement, he would give his consent for me to enlist, so long as I gave a decent shot at ROTC. From what I've also found out prior enlisted apply for ROTC as well.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 10:00:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 9:46:28 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:43:57 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:41:56 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:39:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:37:25 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 8:59:50 PM, darkkermit wrote:
It depends on what you want to do. You can be an officer in the air force If you go to college, and If you join a college with Air force ROTC, you can get a free education.

http://afrotc.com...

I'm not sure if my high school record would land me an ROTC scholarship with the drawdown coming into effect, and regardless none of the officer jobs appeal to me.

I find it surprising that your grades would be that low. You are an intelligent person. Of course, intelligent people can easily get bad grades.
What is your gpa?

About a 3.4 unweighted. It might not be that low, but the standards for those ROTC scholarships have been skyrocketing.

That's pretty good. I'd at least try for it even If you decide against it.

That's what my father's making me do. It was part of our agreement, he would give his consent for me to enlist, so long as I gave a decent shot at ROTC. From what I've also found out prior enlisted apply for ROTC as well.

My parents are similiar. They absolutely don't want me to enlist, but wouldn't have a problem with me going in as an officer.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 10:26:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 10:00:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:46:28 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:43:57 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:41:56 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:39:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:37:25 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 8:59:50 PM, darkkermit wrote:
It depends on what you want to do. You can be an officer in the air force If you go to college, and If you join a college with Air force ROTC, you can get a free education.

http://afrotc.com...

I'm not sure if my high school record would land me an ROTC scholarship with the drawdown coming into effect, and regardless none of the officer jobs appeal to me.

I find it surprising that your grades would be that low. You are an intelligent person. Of course, intelligent people can easily get bad grades.
What is your gpa?

About a 3.4 unweighted. It might not be that low, but the standards for those ROTC scholarships have been skyrocketing.

That's pretty good. I'd at least try for it even If you decide against it.

That's what my father's making me do. It was part of our agreement, he would give his consent for me to enlist, so long as I gave a decent shot at ROTC. From what I've also found out prior enlisted apply for ROTC as well.

My parents are similiar. They absolutely don't want me to enlist, but wouldn't have a problem with me going in as an officer.

I think I read somewhere that you wanted to be a Navy Nuke? I think the only realistic way of getting into that is by being enlisted. Officers don't really specialize in anything. There may be a few nuclear officers who have those skills but those are typically Academy grads.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 10:28:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 10:26:22 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 10:00:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:46:28 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:43:57 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:41:56 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:39:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:37:25 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 8:59:50 PM, darkkermit wrote:
It depends on what you want to do. You can be an officer in the air force If you go to college, and If you join a college with Air force ROTC, you can get a free education.

http://afrotc.com...

I'm not sure if my high school record would land me an ROTC scholarship with the drawdown coming into effect, and regardless none of the officer jobs appeal to me.

I find it surprising that your grades would be that low. You are an intelligent person. Of course, intelligent people can easily get bad grades.
What is your gpa?

About a 3.4 unweighted. It might not be that low, but the standards for those ROTC scholarships have been skyrocketing.

That's pretty good. I'd at least try for it even If you decide against it.

That's what my father's making me do. It was part of our agreement, he would give his consent for me to enlist, so long as I gave a decent shot at ROTC. From what I've also found out prior enlisted apply for ROTC as well.

My parents are similiar. They absolutely don't want me to enlist, but wouldn't have a problem with me going in as an officer.

I think I read somewhere that you wanted to be a Navy Nuke? I think the only realistic way of getting into that is by being enlisted. Officers don't really specialize in anything. There may be a few nuclear officers who have those skills but those are typically Academy grads.

Really? You know what enlisted level you get though? The enlisted men seem to get squat for money.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 10:34:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 10:28:18 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 10:26:22 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 10:00:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:46:28 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:43:57 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:41:56 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:39:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:37:25 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 8:59:50 PM, darkkermit wrote:
It depends on what you want to do. You can be an officer in the air force If you go to college, and If you join a college with Air force ROTC, you can get a free education.

http://afrotc.com...

I'm not sure if my high school record would land me an ROTC scholarship with the drawdown coming into effect, and regardless none of the officer jobs appeal to me.

I find it surprising that your grades would be that low. You are an intelligent person. Of course, intelligent people can easily get bad grades.
What is your gpa?

About a 3.4 unweighted. It might not be that low, but the standards for those ROTC scholarships have been skyrocketing.

That's pretty good. I'd at least try for it even If you decide against it.

That's what my father's making me do. It was part of our agreement, he would give his consent for me to enlist, so long as I gave a decent shot at ROTC. From what I've also found out prior enlisted apply for ROTC as well.

My parents are similiar. They absolutely don't want me to enlist, but wouldn't have a problem with me going in as an officer.

I think I read somewhere that you wanted to be a Navy Nuke? I think the only realistic way of getting into that is by being enlisted. Officers don't really specialize in anything. There may be a few nuclear officers who have those skills but those are typically Academy grads.

Really? You know what enlisted level you get though? The enlisted men seem to get squat for money.

I thnk you automatically become an E-3 or E-4 if you go into Nuclear, so about 2,000 a month before taxes. But then again you have to factor in that at the same time they are giving you food, housing, medical and dental as well as very expensive job training. Nukes also get large bonuses.

Even so you can always just serve out your enlistment contract and get a better job in the civilian world since you'll have years of on the job experiance.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 10:35:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 9:41:04 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 8:54:19 PM, Oryus wrote:
job training can be just as good as going to a university. I did before I went to college.

It sounds like you did the smart thing. May I ask why you went to job training then college afterwards? What sort of work are you trying to do?

I became a certified greenhouse operator, a floral designer, and then a massage therapist.

I just get bored easily and I wasn't satisfied with job training. It wasn't enough to just work day to day. It was boring. I want expertise in a field.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 10:37:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 10:34:26 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 10:28:18 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 10:26:22 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 10:00:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:46:28 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:43:57 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:41:56 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:39:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/28/2012 9:37:25 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 8:59:50 PM, darkkermit wrote:
It depends on what you want to do. You can be an officer in the air force If you go to college, and If you join a college with Air force ROTC, you can get a free education.

http://afrotc.com...

I'm not sure if my high school record would land me an ROTC scholarship with the drawdown coming into effect, and regardless none of the officer jobs appeal to me.

I find it surprising that your grades would be that low. You are an intelligent person. Of course, intelligent people can easily get bad grades.
What is your gpa?

About a 3.4 unweighted. It might not be that low, but the standards for those ROTC scholarships have been skyrocketing.

That's pretty good. I'd at least try for it even If you decide against it.

That's what my father's making me do. It was part of our agreement, he would give his consent for me to enlist, so long as I gave a decent shot at ROTC. From what I've also found out prior enlisted apply for ROTC as well.

My parents are similiar. They absolutely don't want me to enlist, but wouldn't have a problem with me going in as an officer.

I think I read somewhere that you wanted to be a Navy Nuke? I think the only realistic way of getting into that is by being enlisted. Officers don't really specialize in anything. There may be a few nuclear officers who have those skills but those are typically Academy grads.

Really? You know what enlisted level you get though? The enlisted men seem to get squat for money.

I thnk you automatically become an E-3 or E-4 if you go into Nuclear, so about 2,000 a month before taxes. But then again you have to factor in that at the same time they are giving you food, housing, medical and dental as well as very expensive job training. Nukes also get large bonuses.

Even so you can always just serve out your enlistment contract and get a better job in the civilian world since you'll have years of on the job experiance.

Food and housing is a plus. Heard their dental sucks. The job experience would be nice. But I would hope that I could get an entry level job in the nuclear industry rather than go through 6 years on a poor salary and no way of leaving.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 10:41:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I thnk you automatically become an E-3 or E-4 if you go into Nuclear, so about 2,000 a month before taxes. But then again you have to factor in that at the same time they are giving you food, housing, medical and dental as well as very expensive job training. Nukes also get large bonuses.

Even so you can always just serve out your enlistment contract and get a better job in the civilian world since you'll have years of on the job experiance.

Food and housing is a plus. Heard their dental sucks. The job experience would be nice. But I would hope that I could get an entry level job in the nuclear industry rather than go through 6 years on a poor salary and no way of leaving.

What was your score on the ASVAB?
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 10:43:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 10:37:28 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Food and housing is a plus. Heard their dental sucks. The job experience would be nice. But I would hope that I could get an entry level job in the nuclear industry rather than go through 6 years on a poor salary and no way of leaving.

It's a decent living if you manage your money well, since it's nearly all money saved. But yeah, if you can get an entry level job in the nuclear industry without having to enlist first, then that would make more sense. I can't imagine living on a ship or a submarine being all that pleasant either.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 10:46:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 10:41:06 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
I thnk you automatically become an E-3 or E-4 if you go into Nuclear, so about 2,000 a month before taxes. But then again you have to factor in that at the same time they are giving you food, housing, medical and dental as well as very expensive job training. Nukes also get large bonuses.

Even so you can always just serve out your enlistment contract and get a better job in the civilian world since you'll have years of on the job experiance.

Food and housing is a plus. Heard their dental sucks. The job experience would be nice. But I would hope that I could get an entry level job in the nuclear industry rather than go through 6 years on a poor salary and no way of leaving.

What was your score on the ASVAB?

You can actually make a decent living...
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 10:49:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 10:41:06 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
I thnk you automatically become an E-3 or E-4 if you go into Nuclear, so about 2,000 a month before taxes. But then again you have to factor in that at the same time they are giving you food, housing, medical and dental as well as very expensive job training. Nukes also get large bonuses.

Even so you can always just serve out your enlistment contract and get a better job in the civilian world since you'll have years of on the job experiance.

Food and housing is a plus. Heard their dental sucks. The job experience would be nice. But I would hope that I could get an entry level job in the nuclear industry rather than go through 6 years on a poor salary and no way of leaving.

What was your score on the ASVAB?

I got a 95 and still didn't qualify for it. I was like 10 pts away on that composite score.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 10:51:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 10:49:06 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 10:41:06 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
I thnk you automatically become an E-3 or E-4 if you go into Nuclear, so about 2,000 a month before taxes. But then again you have to factor in that at the same time they are giving you food, housing, medical and dental as well as very expensive job training. Nukes also get large bonuses.

Even so you can always just serve out your enlistment contract and get a better job in the civilian world since you'll have years of on the job experiance.

Food and housing is a plus. Heard their dental sucks. The job experience would be nice. But I would hope that I could get an entry level job in the nuclear industry rather than go through 6 years on a poor salary and no way of leaving.

What was your score on the ASVAB?

I got a 95 and still didn't qualify for it. I was like 10 pts away on that composite score.

That's not your ASVAB...that's your AFQT....
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 10:52:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 10:51:24 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 5/28/2012 10:49:06 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 5/28/2012 10:41:06 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
I thnk you automatically become an E-3 or E-4 if you go into Nuclear, so about 2,000 a month before taxes. But then again you have to factor in that at the same time they are giving you food, housing, medical and dental as well as very expensive job training. Nukes also get large bonuses.

Even so you can always just serve out your enlistment contract and get a better job in the civilian world since you'll have years of on the job experiance.

Food and housing is a plus. Heard their dental sucks. The job experience would be nice. But I would hope that I could get an entry level job in the nuclear industry rather than go through 6 years on a poor salary and no way of leaving.

What was your score on the ASVAB?

I got a 95 and still didn't qualify for it. I was like 10 pts away on that composite score.

That's not your ASVAB...that's your AFQT....

Even on that you need a 99 to be competitive :P
iholland95
Posts: 7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 4:07:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Yes. I believe that college is really worth it. You get to further your education so you're that much smarter when you find a job later in life. It helps you prepare for the outside world.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 6:31:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
College is worth it, if you get a high paying job in the field of study you choose. If you don't then probably not. Roughly 20% of college graduates do anything even remotely connecting to their studies. Most just get jobs like the rest of high schoolers. A degree might get you in the door but that's about it. If you are incompetent and devoid of common sense and have no organizational, speaking and communication skills, You wont last 3 days especially if you purport to have a degree in what ever.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 1:06:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/12/2012 4:07:36 PM, iholland95 wrote:
Yes. I believe that college is really worth it. You get to further your education so you're that much smarter when you find a job later in life. It helps you prepare for the outside world.

But being smart doesn't necessarily equal having more pay. I'm sure that majoring in engineering, computer science, medicine and such are well worth it, but I don't want to go into those, and I don't just want to major or study anything for the sake of going to college. Also how much does sitting in a class all day, listening to lectures, taking tests and such prepare you for a job more than say, actually having a job?
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 6:28:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The military is an engine for social mobility, and an excellent choice for anyone going into college. It is always good to have a college degree, because the idea is to make yourself more competitive in the job market and a pilot with a degree will always be picked over a pilot without one. The best example that comes to mind is my old friend, whom had a BA in fire science and is a fire fighter; he has no problem finding a well paying job as a fire fighter and actually already had a job guaranteed to him when he got out of the Marine Corps.

Another degree that will always help you with advancement in the private sector is an MBA. A business degree can be applied to any industry and you will almost always have a higher entry level position than someone without this degree. I had a platoon commander that wanted to be a welder, but instead of going to carpentry school he decided to get an MBA. He used that MBA to land a managerial job in the industry, where he learned how to be a carpenter.

In short, you will always be better off with a degree and the military will pay for it. Let me give you a snap shot of my GI benefits.

My school costs $20,000 a semester. The G.I. Bill covers $17,000, and the Yellow Ribbon program covers the remainder of my tuition fees. I also receive $1,200 a month. When I join the NY National Guard I'll receive about $4,500 in state tuition, and another $5,000 in federal tuition. I'll also be receiving federal and state grants, money which I will never have to pay back and goes directly into my pocket.

Oh yea, and I qualify for a $2,000 grant at the end of the semester, because of my service.