Jump to topic:

Education to meet current needs

smitty28
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 7:22:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Are those educational leaders responsible for public education policies really evaluating what children/youth might need for today's world? Or are they just tinkering with a model of schooling that has been the status quo for too long - making incremental changes in a system that is no longer working.
Is anyone asking the big questions - is school a custodial enterprise, a method of civilization, or a way to prepare young people to have meaningful employment?
Can it possibly be all three successfully?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 7:28:31 PM
At 6/14/2012 7:22:34 PM, smitty28 wrote:
Are those educational leaders responsible for public education policies really evaluating what children/youth might need for today's world? Or are they just tinkering with a model of schooling that has been the status quo for too long - making incremental changes in a system that is no longer working.
Is anyone asking the big questions - is school a custodial enterprise, a method of civilization, or a way to prepare young people to have meaningful employment?

I'd say more likely the bold claim. I have come to the conclusion that institutions really don't have purposes they just exist. It's actually a bold claim to state that "schools are designed to prepare children for the future". That's perhaps what politicians want you to think so you'd keep voting for the system, but I have yet to find any evidence that subjects like literature or history in high school is useful and that the system taught in the public education is the most efficient system. Nor would one expect a government run program to be the most efficient.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
maddy12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 5:32:02 AM
Hello
the information about java and java script and its library jquery is available here. Here you can get knowledge and learn that how can you use Struts 2 Framework. it can support any type of browsers and JavaScript library also. Here you can learn also how to creat animation, how to handle the events, devlopment of AJAX. this application is very easy to use.You've read that jQuery makes it easy to play with the DOM, add effects, and execute Ajax requests, but what makes it better than, say, writing your own library, or using one of the other JavaScript libraries

[url=http://www.ezdia.com...] Struts2 JQuery [/url]
carpediem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2012 3:47:38 PM

The problem is that so many schools do try to "prepare young people to have meaningful employment." So what they do is create occupational tracks for students to follow while they're in high school. This often includes taking technical classes and being limited as to what core classes you're given. This is not what students need. What students need is the benefit of a liberal education that focuses on broadening the mind in all directions as well as teaching by way of the socratic method so that students will actually be able to think logically and for themselves. If a student can think deductively they will be able to succeed in whatever employment they wish to undertake.
"I would die at the stake rather than change a semi-colon!"
isabelcarter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2013 5:56:57 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
in today's fast moving world education is something that one cannot survive without. you need to have education from the quality colleges and university so that when you enter the professional world you are fully prepared and you make yourself recognized due to the education background that you are holding. Regards: Isabel
http://www.lifeexperienceuniversity.org...
jopo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2013 1:33:49 PM
At 7/26/2012 3:47:38 PM, carpediem wrote:

The problem is that so many schools do try to "prepare young people to have meaningful employment." So what they do is create occupational tracks for students to follow while they're in high school. This often includes taking technical classes and being limited as to what core classes you're given. This is not what students need. What students need is the benefit of a liberal education that focuses on broadening the mind in all directions as well as teaching by way of the socratic method so that students will actually be able to think logically and for themselves. If a student can think deductively they will be able to succeed in whatever employment they wish to undertake.:

I strongly agree with the statement of yours that I bolded above. While I think it's important to have education that teaches some facts, it's also important to expand upon them in ways that allow for growth in one's own ability to think on your own. This is an area where I think Piaget's Stages of Cognitive Development come in to play (http://psychology.about.com...). As we age, we grow in what we're able to do mentally, so once children start reaching the formal operations stage they are capable of abstract thinking and it's important that they truly exercise this. However, in a Lifespan Psychology class I recently took, we discussed Piaget's stages and one important idea was that to achieve formal operations in one area of knowledge - you must have enough rudimentary knowledge in that field to abstract from. So overall, I think it is important to, in the early years, teach very basic building block concepts; however, I think once children reach junior high and especially high school we ought to see more of an emphasis on socratic methods that force students to think for themselves. This is one of the most applicable, "real-world" skills I think we can gift them.
debrajackson620
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 1:10:54 AM
I think that with out education; poverty and illiteracy can not be eradicated in U.A.E and other parts of the world, and also a country can not grow and progress on the verge of economic development.
Regards,
Debra.
http://www.gccscholarships.com...