Total Posts:42|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Compiling Colleges/Universities

untitled_entity
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 11:00:17 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At my school they require incoming Juniors to create a list of colleges/universities that they are interested in/want to apply to. I am curious to see what schools most of you are looking at to perhaps influence my decision on what schools to look at. I'll post the schools I'm thinking about a little later.
tribefan011
Posts: 106
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 4:17:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Columbia
Harvard
Princeton
UPenn
MIT
Stanford
Georgetown
UNC-Chapel Hill
UVA
Georgetown
Tulane
American
WVU

What I'm looking for is schools with good economic/political science programs and good financial aid. All of those schools are good for both (WVU is good since I can go for free).
LightningRod
Posts: 29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 4:26:22 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Well, I went to Columbia, Yale, and Stanford, and they're all great.

If I were a junior applying to colleges, however, I'd probably do something along the lines of:

Harvard University
Yale University
Princeton University
University of Pennsylvania
Columbia University
Northwestern University
University of Chicago
Washington University in St. Louis
University of Michigan
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Stanford University

And then maybe Duke University, or Johns Hopkins University, or Carnegie-Mellon University.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 6:12:51 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Ryerson University
McGill University
University of Toronto

I don't really have any universities I want to go other than those three. For colleges, I'd love to go to Sheridan, but that is about it.

All the universities/colleges listed are schools noted for their journalism and political science undergrad courses.
untitled_entity
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 6:16:27 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/25/2009 6:12:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
Ryerson University
McGill University
University of Toronto

I don't really have any universities I want to go other than those three. For colleges, I'd love to go to Sheridan, but that is about it.

All the universities/colleges listed are schools noted for their journalism and political science undergrad courses.

I'm really interested in PoliSci/Public Policy. I'd like to be an analyst.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 6:24:24 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'm either going to go to Umass Amherst or Umass Lowell for financial reasons. I want a graduate degree or two after undergrad, so I'm not going into massive debt just to go to a posh private undergrad school.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 7:00:07 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/25/2009 6:16:27 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
I'm really interested in PoliSci/Public Policy. I'd like to be an analyst.

PoliSci is almost a needed if you want to go into politics one day, which is my *ultimate* goal. Mind you, regardless I'm interested in politics, and it can compliment my journalistic career.

Any ideas what analytical firm you want to join, or does it matter?
untitled_entity
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 7:13:05 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/25/2009 6:24:24 PM, Nags wrote:
I'm either going to go to Umass Amherst or Umass Lowell for financial reasons. I want a graduate degree or two after undergrad, so I'm not going into massive debt just to go to a posh private undergrad school.

I'm also thinking about UMass Amherst.
untitled_entity
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 7:14:02 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/25/2009 7:00:07 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 8/25/2009 6:16:27 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
I'm really interested in PoliSci/Public Policy. I'd like to be an analyst.

PoliSci is almost a needed if you want to go into politics one day, which is my *ultimate* goal. Mind you, regardless I'm interested in politics, and it can compliment my journalistic career.

Any ideas what analytical firm you want to join, or does it matter?

No, not really. I'm into Political Analysis but I'm also interested in Political Journalism similar to Anderson Cooper or Rachel Maddow.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 7:15:21 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/25/2009 7:14:02 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
No, not really. I'm into Political Analysis but I'm also interested in Political Journalism similar to Anderson Cooper or Rachel Maddow.

Those are the two best American examples of political journalists I can think of, so kudos to you.
untitled_entity
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 7:19:01 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/25/2009 7:15:21 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 8/25/2009 7:14:02 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
No, not really. I'm into Political Analysis but I'm also interested in Political Journalism similar to Anderson Cooper or Rachel Maddow.

Those are the two best American examples of political journalists I can think of, so kudos to you.

Thanks, Volkov. I have a lot of respect for Maddow having that common gay thing and all. She's very successful.
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 7:19:17 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I want to go to Belmont but i'm a Christian and into music so it fits me well.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 7:27:28 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/25/2009 7:19:01 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
Thanks, Volkov. I have a lot of respect for Maddow having that common gay thing and all. She's very successful.

I enjoy her attitude and presentation. Very engaging, very informative, and unlike Olbermann, who I do enjoy, also has opposing opinion on time to time. Opinion that never gets past her, mind you.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 7:29:51 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/25/2009 7:27:28 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 8/25/2009 7:19:01 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
Thanks, Volkov. I have a lot of respect for Maddow having that common gay thing and all. She's very successful.

I enjoy her attitude and presentation. Very engaging, very informative, and unlike Olbermann, who I do enjoy, also has opposing opinion on time to time. Opinion that never gets past her, mind you.

I wouldn't call Maddow a good debater, maybe average. She had a CEO of a Health Care firm on the last time I watched her (a few weeks ago) and got destroyed. At least she does have opposing viewpoints though.
untitled_entity
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 7:34:37 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/25/2009 7:29:51 PM, Nags wrote:
At 8/25/2009 7:27:28 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 8/25/2009 7:19:01 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
Thanks, Volkov. I have a lot of respect for Maddow having that common gay thing and all. She's very successful.

I enjoy her attitude and presentation. Very engaging, very informative, and unlike Olbermann, who I do enjoy, also has opposing opinion on time to time. Opinion that never gets past her, mind you.

I wouldn't call Maddow a good debater, maybe average. She had a CEO of a Health Care firm on the last time I watched her (a few weeks ago) and got destroyed. At least she does have opposing viewpoints though.

That may be, however, I have tremendous respect for her and she has a much shorter face than Keith Olbermann.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 7:38:14 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/25/2009 7:34:37 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
At 8/25/2009 7:29:51 PM, Nags wrote:
At 8/25/2009 7:27:28 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 8/25/2009 7:19:01 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
Thanks, Volkov. I have a lot of respect for Maddow having that common gay thing and all. She's very successful.

I enjoy her attitude and presentation. Very engaging, very informative, and unlike Olbermann, who I do enjoy, also has opposing opinion on time to time. Opinion that never gets past her, mind you.

I wouldn't call Maddow a good debater, maybe average. She had a CEO of a Health Care firm on the last time I watched her (a few weeks ago) and got destroyed. At least she does have opposing viewpoints though.

That may be, however, I have tremendous respect for her and she has a much shorter face than Keith Olbermann.

I agree. I have zero respect for Olbermann. Rachel Maddow is decent and Chris Matthews is the best on MSNBC. Pat Buchanan vs. Rachel Maddow is always epic.
untitled_entity
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 7:59:21 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/25/2009 7:38:14 PM, Nags wrote:
At 8/25/2009 7:34:37 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
At 8/25/2009 7:29:51 PM, Nags wrote:
At 8/25/2009 7:27:28 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 8/25/2009 7:19:01 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
Thanks, Volkov. I have a lot of respect for Maddow having that common gay thing and all. She's very successful.

I enjoy her attitude and presentation. Very engaging, very informative, and unlike Olbermann, who I do enjoy, also has opposing opinion on time to time. Opinion that never gets past her, mind you.

I wouldn't call Maddow a good debater, maybe average. She had a CEO of a Health Care firm on the last time I watched her (a few weeks ago) and got destroyed. At least she does have opposing viewpoints though.

That may be, however, I have tremendous respect for her and she has a much shorter face than Keith Olbermann.

I agree. I have zero respect for Olbermann. Rachel Maddow is decent and Chris Matthews is the best on MSNBC. Pat Buchanan vs. Rachel Maddow is always epic.

Easily agreeable. However, Chris Matthews' voice gives me some crucial feedback on my hearing aid. Regardless, I love to watch Pat Buchanan on Rachel Maddow, he yells, she argues, he squints, she shakes her head and at the end of the day they both say 'thank - you'.
ccstateisback
Posts: 296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 10:58:58 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'll probably go to wherever I get the most scholarship/grant money from running. I wouldn't mind paying for Harvard in full if they let me get past admissions for running and the fact that my school has connections there and I have former teammates who currently go there. If I had to make a list though, it would be 1. Wisconsin, they are recruiting me. 2. Oregon, doubt I could run there but I would be ecstatic if I could. 3. Carleton, nice little liberal arts college that is close to home that is recruiting me. 4 and 5. Cambridge and Oxford, I love the UK and would really like to go to a good college over there.
studentathletechristian8 - Congrats- you may have your first online girlfriend!

Me - I had a MySpace girlfriend, but it was really a 45 year old guy friend.
untitled_entity
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2009 5:20:29 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/25/2009 10:58:58 PM, ccstateisback wrote:
I'll probably go to wherever I get the most scholarship/grant money from running. I wouldn't mind paying for Harvard in full if they let me get past admissions for running and the fact that my school has connections there and I have former teammates who currently go there. If I had to make a list though, it would be 1. Wisconsin, they are recruiting me. 2. Oregon, doubt I could run there but I would be ecstatic if I could. 3. Carleton, nice little liberal arts college that is close to home that is recruiting me. 4 and 5. Cambridge and Oxford, I love the UK and would really like to go to a good college over there.

I've only had one scout for hockey, mainly because there's no club teams for women in College.
ccstateisback
Posts: 296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2009 4:42:46 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I know two sisters who both play hockey at Harvard.
studentathletechristian8 - Congrats- you may have your first online girlfriend!

Me - I had a MySpace girlfriend, but it was really a 45 year old guy friend.
untitled_entity
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2009 5:10:02 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/26/2009 4:42:46 PM, ccstateisback wrote:
I know two sisters who both play hockey at Harvard.

I don't want to go to Harvard. I assume it's intramural, not club.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 12:44:40 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
It's my duty to sing Brown's praises. It has a strong poli-sci program (from what I understand), no over-arching school requirements (which allows for a more custom-tuned education), and the most diverse student population among the ivies.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
ccstateisback
Posts: 296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 9:14:45 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/26/2009 5:10:02 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
At 8/26/2009 4:42:46 PM, ccstateisback wrote:
I know two sisters who both play hockey at Harvard.

I don't want to go to Harvard. I assume it's intramural, not club.

It's not club or intramural, it's a legit NCAA team.
studentathletechristian8 - Congrats- you may have your first online girlfriend!

Me - I had a MySpace girlfriend, but it was really a 45 year old guy friend.
untitled_entity
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2009 3:58:08 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/29/2009 9:14:45 PM, ccstateisback wrote:
At 8/26/2009 5:10:02 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
At 8/26/2009 4:42:46 PM, ccstateisback wrote:
I know two sisters who both play hockey at Harvard.

I don't want to go to Harvard. I assume it's intramural, not club.

It's not club or intramural, it's a legit NCAA team.

It's USCHO.