Total Posts:56|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Obama's Speech

mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 5:39:29 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
What do you think about it?
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 6:48:23 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
In case anybody's confused, I'm talking about the speech to kids in American schools.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 6:50:27 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/5/2009 6:48:23 PM, mongoose wrote:
In case anybody's confused, I'm talking about the speech to kids in American schools.

Oh. Well, personally, I would like to see what he said be put into some type of strategy, improved, and possibly put into action.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 8:45:27 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/5/2009 8:37:38 PM, Volkov wrote:
What speech? What did the Messiah say!? I was working. :(

He hasn't spoken yet. He plans to send a speech to all students in America on Wednesday. Originally, the class agenda was going to be asking kids how they can help Obama in his plan for American socialization, but luckily, they've changed it to asking kids how they're going to accomplish their own goals.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 8:51:00 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/5/2009 8:45:27 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 9/5/2009 8:37:38 PM, Volkov wrote:
What speech? What did the Messiah say!? I was working. :(

He hasn't spoken yet. He plans to send a speech to all students in America on Wednesday. Originally, the class agenda was going to be asking kids how they can help Obama in his plan for American socialization, but luckily, they've changed it to asking kids how they're going to accomplish their own goals.

Oh, okay. I liked the false indoctrination plan better, mind you.

I mean, if Reagan did it, why can't Obama?
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 10:30:02 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
For all who want to know:
>The speech will take place Tuesday, September 8th, at 12:00 PM (EDT)
>You can watch the live stream here: http://www.whitehouse.gov...
>I'm almost certain that most TV channels will broadcast it, but I know for sure that C-SPAN will be airing it live.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 10:42:19 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/5/2009 8:51:00 PM, Volkov wrote:
Oh, okay. I liked the false indoctrination plan better, mind you.

I'm sure you did. Massive brainwash of the youth. Followed by brown jumpsuits and cool armbands...

I mean, if Reagan did it, why can't Obama?

Because Obama is including a lesson plan asking questions like this:
-Also, it is fair to say that Obama has a much larger audience.

"Why it important that we listen to the president and other elected officals, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important?"

"How does [Barack Obama] inspire us?"

PreK - Grade 6 -- Lesson Plan:
http://www.ed.gov...

Grade 7 - Grade 12 -- Lesson Plan:
http://www.ed.gov...
Harlan
Posts: 1,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 11:13:03 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/5/2009 7:11:02 PM, MTGandP wrote:
Where can I watch it? Besides TV.

If you want to watch it live, I know that it will be streamed on the White house website. Other then that, you could probably watch it on Hulu.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 7:08:11 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
It should be interesting enough. His speech to African-American children about school was good. No doubt my English teacher who would fall over Obama will have us do something. Even though we're Irish.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 3:40:34 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/5/2009 10:42:19 PM, Nags wrote:
I'm sure you did. Massive brainwash of the youth. Followed by brown jumpsuits and cool armbands...

Let it be known that the Brownshirts were not necessarily Hitler-loving; in fact, there was severe infighting between the SA (Brownshirts) and the SS (Blackshirts), eventually resulting in the death of the creator and leader of the SA, Ernst Rohm, who was apparently a homosexual.

So it isn't all bad.

Because Obama is including a lesson plan asking questions like this:
-Also, it is fair to say that Obama has a much larger audience.

Lol? What does the size of the audience have to do with anything?

"Why it important that we listen to the president and other elected officals, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important?"

These are standard civic questions; why do we listen to these people? Why should we pay attention or care about politics? Etc.

Besides, "listening" does not imply "bow down to the Democratic Party." It applies to any and all elected officials, and doesn't say that they should agree with them; just says that it is important you listen to them.

Listening is something key to keeping politicians accountable, and something a lot of people don't seem to do; it is important to listen to what they say because they do make up the policies that will affect our lives, it is as simple as that. I see no bias or brainwash except for the fact that it is clearly pro-state.

"How does [Barack Obama] inspire us?"

Aha, nice try. It says "How does the President inspire us?"

Barack Obama cannot change the fact that he is the President, just like how the next Republican President can't. When it actually says "Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden," then you can complain about it.

Besides, all it asks is how the President inspires them; they could say that he inspires them by making them want to destroy any notion of socialism in American society. Still counts.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 4:49:13 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/6/2009 3:40:34 PM, Volkov wrote:
Lol? What does the size of the audience have to do with anything?

What do you mean? Size of audience has to do with a lot. Your message is more recieved if you talk to 50 million kids rather than 1 million. Duh.

These are standard civic questions; why do we listen to these people? Why should we pay attention or care about politics? Etc.

Besides, "listening" does not imply "bow down to the Democratic Party." It applies to any and all elected officials, and doesn't say that they should agree with them; just says that it is important you listen to them.

Listening is something key to keeping politicians accountable, and something a lot of people don't seem to do; it is important to listen to what they say because they do make up the policies that will affect our lives, it is as simple as that. I see no bias or brainwash except for the fact that it is clearly pro-state.

Exactly, it is pro-state. The opinions of Republicans and Democrats aren't the best. As evidenced by the last 8 years. Appeal to authority.

"How does [Barack Obama] inspire us?"

Aha, nice try. It says "How does the President inspire us?"

Barack Obama cannot change the fact that he is the President, just like how the next Republican President can't. When it actually says "Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden," then you can complain about it.

Besides, all it asks is how the President inspires them; they could say that he inspires them by making them want to destroy any notion of socialism in American society. Still counts.

No. It says:

• Create a "concept web." Teachers may ask students to think of the following:
-Why does President Obama want to speak with us today? How will he inspire us?
-How will he challenge us?
-What might he say?

He is clearly a pronoun for Barack Obama. Very clearly.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 5:04:40 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/6/2009 4:49:13 PM, Nags wrote:
What do you mean? Size of audience has to do with a lot. Your message is more recieved if you talk to 50 million kids rather than 1 million. Duh.

It is actually irrelevant in this case; just because Obama can "brainwash" more people than Reagan could have, doesn't justify Reagan "brainwashing" anyone.

Exactly, it is pro-state. The opinions of Republicans and Democrats aren't the best. As evidenced by the last 8 years. Appeal to authority.

I believe I've said this before to R_R; it is a public school, of course it will be pro-state. It gets its funding from the state. It sends students to state capitols on field trips. It is going to be pro-state no matter what, and to bother yourself with it is like saying we should be worried that a butter knife might be use to spread butter.

What actually counts for bias in this case, because you have to work within the parameters of your situation, is whether or not they start asking kids whether or not they love the angelic Democrats and hate the devilkin Republicans.

No. It says:

• Create a "concept web." Teachers may ask students to think of the following:
-Why does President Obama want to speak with us today? How will he inspire us?
-How will he challenge us?
-What might he say?

He is clearly a pronoun for Barack Obama. Very clearly.

You missed some things:

...
Do you remember any other historic moments when the president spoke to the nation?  
What was the impact?
After brainstorming answers to these questions, students could create a "cause & effect" graphic organizer.

Its brainstorming and talking cause and effect in civics! What is the harm in this? Would it be better if they replaced Obama with Ron Paul?
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 5:11:05 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/6/2009 5:04:40 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/6/2009 4:49:13 PM, Nags wrote:
What do you mean? Size of audience has to do with a lot. Your message is more recieved if you talk to 50 million kids rather than 1 million. Duh.

It is actually irrelevant in this case; just because Obama can "brainwash" more people than Reagan could have, doesn't justify Reagan "brainwashing" anyone.

Straw man. I never said it did justify Reagan brainwashing anyone. It just makes it worse.

I believe I've said this before to R_R; it is a public school, of course it will be pro-state. It gets its funding from the state. It sends students to state capitols on field trips. It is going to be pro-state no matter what, and to bother yourself with it is like saying we should be worried that a butter knife might be use to spread butter.

can =/= ought

What actually counts for bias in this case, because you have to work within the parameters of your situation, is whether or not they start asking kids whether or not they love the angelic Democrats and hate the devilkin Republicans.

Because with 90% of teachers Democrats, that won't happen. ((sarcasm))

No. It says:

• Create a "concept web." Teachers may ask students to think of the following:
-Why does President Obama want to speak with us today? How will he inspire us?
-How will he challenge us?
-What might he say?

He is clearly a pronoun for Barack Obama. Very clearly.

You missed some things:

...
Do you remember any other historic moments when the president spoke to the nation?  
What was the impact?
After brainstorming answers to these questions, students could create a "cause & effect" graphic organizer.

Its brainstorming and talking cause and effect in civics! What is the harm in this?

Straw man. It is harmful to ask how Barack Obama inspires the students.

Would it be better if they replaced Obama with Ron Paul?

Yes.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 5:15:13 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/5/2009 10:42:19 PM, Nags wrote:
"How does [Barack Obama] inspire us?"
Barack Obama inspires me to promise people anything they want to hear to get into a position of power, and then backstab them and betray their trust, breaking my word and my promises, all to fulfill my own selfish intentions against their will.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 5:25:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/6/2009 5:11:05 PM, Nags wrote:
Straw man. I never said it did justify Reagan brainwashing anyone. It just makes it worse.

Missing the point. Reagan's "brainwashing" is not better or worse than Obama's "brainwashing" just because Obama can reach more people; the action itself is wrong regardless of the numbers.

can =/= ought

I see no reason why it ought not to be. Publicly funded schools will show their support for the government, because they're inherently apart of it.

Because with 90% of teachers Democrats, that won't happen. ((sarcasm))

Out of all teachers I've known, and I've known quite a few, only one has ever expressed any sort of bias towards a political party. Great teacher, mind you, but still, just the one; so unless you can show that 90% of all teachers are biased towards the Democrats, or whichever party, this doesn't stand.

Straw man. It is harmful to ask how Barack Obama inspires the students.

How so? As I stated; they could be inspired to stop him. Inspiration can either be positive or negative - there is no inherent bias in asking students what the President inspires them to do.

Yes.

Why? Because he's Ron Paul? He is not the President, just a legislator; it would make sense to ask students that live within his district how he can impact them, but otherwise, no one cares, because he's Ron Paul, one legislator among many current ones; there is only one President, and the President's district is the entire country. It makes sense to ask students what they think of him.
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 5:36:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/6/2009 5:15:13 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 9/5/2009 10:42:19 PM, Nags wrote:
"How does [Barack Obama] inspire us?"
Barack Obama inspires me to promise people anything they want to hear to get into a position of power, and then backstab them and betray their trust, breaking my word and my promises, all to fulfill my own selfish intentions against their will.

You stole my line...
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 5:37:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/6/2009 5:25:42 PM, Volkov wrote:
Missing the point. Reagan's "brainwashing" is not better or worse than Obama's "brainwashing" just because Obama can reach more people; the action itself is wrong regardless of the numbers.

Agreed.

I see no reason why it ought not to be. Publicly funded schools will show their support for the government, because they're inherently apart of it.

I am Con - Forced Patriotism.

Out of all teachers I've known, and I've known quite a few, only one has ever expressed any sort of bias towards a political party. Great teacher, mind you, but still, just the one; so unless you can show that 90% of all teachers are biased towards the Democrats, or whichever party, this doesn't stand.

Poopy...

How so? As I stated; they could be inspired to stop him. Inspiration can either be positive or negative - there is no inherent bias in asking students what the President inspires them to do.

Let's not get into semantics. Inspire is usally meant positively, not negatively.

Why? Because he's Ron Paul? He is not the President, just a legislator; it would make sense to ask students that live within his district how he can impact them, but otherwise, no one cares, because he's Ron Paul, one legislator among many current ones; there is only one President, and the President's district is the entire country. It makes sense to ask students what they think of him.

Lol. I was jk'ing.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 5:52:48 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/6/2009 5:37:18 PM, Nags wrote:
I am Con - Forced Patriotism.

Forced patriotism is when you're forced to love your country; being "forced pro-state" means you're forced to recognize that the state exists and it is important to see that it does. This doesn't mean you have to love it - you can hate it. But you should realize that it is there, and it is a big part of life.

Let's not get into semantics. Inspire is usally meant positively, not negatively.

But it is all about semantics, unfortunately; "inspire" is just a word, and a word is neutral; what the reader gets out of it is what is either positive or negative. Kids that see this line will base their ideas based on what they gleaned from the speech; it could be positive or negative, but the word has nothing to do with that.

Lol. I was jk'ing.

I wonder if Ron Paul would even visit a public school.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 6:01:06 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/6/2009 5:52:48 PM, Volkov wrote:
But it is all about semantics, unfortunately; "inspire" is just a word, and a word is neutral; what the reader gets out of it is what is either positive or negative. Kids that see this line will base their ideas based on what they gleaned from the speech; it could be positive or negative, but the word has nothing to do with that.

Kids barely know how to spell inspiration. Do you think they will know that inspire can be meant positively or negatively?

I wonder if Ron Paul would even visit a public school.

On the condition it is a meeting about abolishing public schools.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 6:04:35 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/6/2009 6:01:06 PM, Nags wrote:
Kids barely know how to spell inspiration. Do you think they will know that inspire can be meant positively or negatively?

It is Grade 7 to 12 students that are being asked this question; if 12 to 18-year-olds can't spell "inspiration," then you have a lot more to be worried about than Obamafluence.

On the condition it is a meeting about abolishing public schools.

Lol. Good luck with that one.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 6:10:03 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/6/2009 6:04:35 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/6/2009 6:01:06 PM, Nags wrote:
Kids barely know how to spell inspiration. Do you think they will know that inspire can be meant positively or negatively?

It is Grade 7 to 12 students that are being asked this question; if 12 to 18-year-olds can't spell "inspiration," then you have a lot more to be worried about than Obamafluence.

You'd be suprise at the lack of intelligence from American public school students.

PS- I went to a public school up until high school. I now go to a private school.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 6:13:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/6/2009 6:10:03 PM, Nags wrote:
You'd be suprise at the lack of intelligence from American public school students.

PS- I went to a public school up until high school. I now go to a private school.

I've always been in the public education system. Never had major problems; teachers are always helpful, most of them are nice and there is excellent standards for teaching quality in most schools
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 6:15:45 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/6/2009 6:13:44 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/6/2009 6:10:03 PM, Nags wrote:
You'd be suprise at the lack of intelligence from American public school students.

PS- I went to a public school up until high school. I now go to a private school.

I've always been in the public education system. Never had major problems; teachers are always helpful, most of them are nice and there is excellent standards for teaching quality in most schools

Canada's public schools =/= America's public schools
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 6:19:33 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/6/2009 6:15:45 PM, Nags wrote:
Canada's public schools =/= America's public schools

I know; guess it isn't so bad to reach and talk to the "socialists" up North for some advice, eh!
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 6:32:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/6/2009 6:19:33 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/6/2009 6:15:45 PM, Nags wrote:
Canada's public schools =/= America's public schools

I know; guess it isn't so bad to reach and talk to the "socialists" up North for some advice, eh!

Nevah!

Although...
-Which is better? Public or Private Schools? Win for capitalism.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 6:38:40 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/6/2009 6:32:12 PM, Nags wrote:
Nevah!

Although...
-Which is better? Public or Private Schools? Win for capitalism.

In terms of quality of education, private schools will usually have a higher standard, due to their funding.

In terms of availability of at least a fairly good standard of education, then public schools take the cake.

And, we all know that the more educated the populace, the better the economy will be; and since public schools bring more opportunity for education to the population, public schooling is indeed a win for capitalism.

Hurrah!
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 6:40:57 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/6/2009 6:38:40 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/6/2009 6:32:12 PM, Nags wrote:
Nevah!

Although...
-Which is better? Public or Private Schools? Win for capitalism.

In terms of quality of education, private schools will usually have a higher standard, due to their funding.

In terms of availability of at least a fairly good standard of education, then public schools take the cake.

And, we all know that the more educated the populace, the better the economy will be; and since public schools bring more opportunity for education to the population, public schooling is indeed a win for capitalism.

Hurrah!

Touché.