Jump to topic:

Ruined Words

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 8:40:39 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I woke up after having had a superbly pleasant dream about Meagan Fox. So with a spring in my step, I ate breakfast, brushed my teeth, changed my underwear, readied my backpack, and set off walking to school. 'A brand new year,' I thought. 'What a great day this is, indeed.'

I found the attendance office and picked up my schedule. To my delight, I had gotten into all the classes I had wanted to be in! I raised my hands to the air and shouted an internal hallelujah. The sky was bluest today, and the grass greenest. How could the day have gotten any better?

I felt a tapping on my back. It was Jessica, the girl whom I've had a crush on since freshmen year. She hugged me and pecked me on the cheek. I felt her breasts press up against my chest, and as she released me, her scent made me woozy.

"Like oh my god," she said. "Let's compare schedules oh my god."

She snatched mine before I could say anything.

Her adorable blue eyes flashed back and forth between our schedules. She was an angel in her tight, green t-shirt and her silky blond hair. Her sultry voice. Her full lips...and I waited in anticipation.

"Oh my god!" she finally exclaimed. "We have English with Palmer together--" I smiled, I was so happy "--and we also have chemistry together, too! Like oh my god! It's so ironic." Then I ceased smiling.

My wonderful day had been ruined. The sky turned dark and the grass instantly died. With regards to the age old question, I was agnostic, but no more.

Certain words have been utterly mutilated, bastardized, and totally distorted by our society. 'Irony' means anything funny, a 'hypocrite' is anyone you don't like, and 'ignorance' is the quality of people who disagree with you. A 'fascist' is a relative term, describing anyone who holds opposite political opinions to that of your own. A 'communist' is someone who is less patriotic than yourself.

I mean, for humanity's sake, if you want to use bigger words, look them up first!

What do you think?
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 8:52:53 PM
Agreed. In school, I enjoy correcting other people's grammar in my head. Then I use superflous verbiage and make them feel perplexed about the conversaton. Cracks my up...Anyway, cudos on that Megan Fox dream. I completely get what you mean about the loss of denotations of words. It is kind of like the expression, "That's so gay."
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 8:53:48 PM
I agree with you that words have been ruined, in the sense that they've been distorted from their original meaning to something less than what they actually convey - silly and offensive lesser meanings, as well. Nice little story as well.

But, I must also say that there isn't anything inherently wrong with "ruined words." They're reflective of the evolution of cultures; "communist" is used as an insult to someone because that is apart of American culture and history, aka the Cold War.

English itself is nothing but a huge concoction of ruined words from other languages. Think of the word abolish; it has origins in the French word abolir, which has origins in the Latin verb abolere, which means "to grow," almost the complete opposite of what the word "abolish" means today for us Anglophones.

And this was only among the 'As'. Bastardize words are reflective of the evolution of languages and cultures; and while it may be offensive to use the words as such to people with higher vocabulary skills, it is just how languages grow.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 8:59:19 PM
You could smile through a slew of "oh my god"s but not her little mix-up? At least you guys have English together, as the tutoring opportunities should be many.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 9:30:37 PM
I agree. I hear others misuse ironic as well. I've realized some have come to think it has the same meaning as "coincidence" rather weird.

But i enjoyed the story, after a long day of work it was nice. Thank you
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 9:40:26 PM
At 9/6/2009 8:40:39 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I woke up after having had a superbly pleasant dream about Meagan Fox. So with a spring in my step, I ate breakfast, brushed my teeth, changed my underwear, readied my backpack, and set off walking to school. 'A brand new year,' I thought. 'What a great day this is, indeed.'

I found the attendance office and picked up my schedule. To my delight, I had gotten into all the classes I had wanted to be in! I raised my hands to the air and shouted an internal hallelujah. The sky was bluest today, and the grass greenest. How could the day have gotten any better?

I felt a tapping on my back. It was Jessica, the girl whom I've had a crush on since freshmen year. She hugged me and pecked me on the cheek. I felt her breasts press up against my chest, and as she released me, her scent made me woozy.

"Like oh my god," she said. "Let's compare schedules oh my god."

She snatched mine before I could say anything.

Her adorable blue eyes flashed back and forth between our schedules. She was an angel in her tight, green t-shirt and her silky blond hair. Her sultry voice. Her full lips...and I waited in anticipation.

"Oh my god!" she finally exclaimed. "We have English with Palmer together--" I smiled, I was so happy "--and we also have chemistry together, too! Like oh my god! It's so ironic." Then I ceased smiling.

My wonderful day had been ruined. The sky turned dark and the grass instantly died. With regards to the age old question, I was agnostic, but no more.

Certain words have been utterly mutilated, bastardized, and totally distorted by our society. 'Irony' means anything funny, a 'hypocrite' is anyone you don't like, and 'ignorance' is the quality of people who disagree with you. A 'fascist' is a relative term, describing anyone who holds opposite political opinions to that of your own. A 'communist' is someone who is less patriotic than yourself.

I mean, for humanity's sake, if you want to use bigger words, look them up first!

What do you think?

Seriously? You let your whole day fall apart because of that? Man, I don't know what to say. If this is what ruins your day, I'd hate to say how you'd respond to some of the things that shall no doubt come your way when you hit college or anything past that.

Also, there's absolutely nothing to indicate that she misued the word irony. Given the lack of information about the girl's understanding of "irony", I could easily throw out some valid possibiliities as to what she meant
untitled_entity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2009 1:14:09 PM
I just wanted to say something really quick about 'irony'. I blame anyone who uses the word 'ironic' on Alanis Morisette. She went and wrote an over 3 - minute song containing various types of irony that are totally and completely not ironic. A fly in your wine is not ironic. So now that she has made millions of dollars cheating the linguistically inhibited she should buy a damn dictionary and rewrite the song.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2009 1:15:59 PM
At 9/7/2009 1:14:09 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
I just wanted to say something really quick about 'irony'. I blame anyone who uses the word 'ironic' on Alanis Morisette. She went and wrote an over 3 - minute song containing various types of irony that are totally and completely not ironic. A fly in your wine is not ironic. So now that she has made millions of dollars cheating the linguistically inhibited she should buy a damn dictionary and rewrite the song.

Copy pasta much?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
untitled_entity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2009 1:24:54 PM
At 9/7/2009 1:15:59 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Copy pasta much?

Actually...I got it from Sabrina Matthews - thnx.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2009 4:34:45 PM

Ummmm... that was the whole point of the song. She's talked about this in interviews.

You'd expect a song called "Ironic" to be ironic. Because the song isn't ironic, it goes against your expectations, therefore making it ironic.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2009 8:29:36 PM
Words will continued to be ruined. There is no point in complaining about these types of words. Expressions like "that's so gay" and "this sucks" will always be used, in the wrong context of course. Don't fret over simple speech.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2009 9:35:54 PM
I have an asian fetish that strongly overpowers my ability to process the attractiveness of non-asian girls, but even in this situation, I wouldn't even have noticed the seemingly endless stream of "oh my god"s she was spitting out. I zoned out at "breasts".

I can tolerate the improper use of words, so long as she is attractive, friendly, and using the words in ways that are at least *socially* acceptable.

Errors like "axe" vs "ask", "could of" vs "could have", "neither or" vs "neither nor", or "dubloo" vs "w", irk me.

It's times like this that I appreciate DDO as an outlet for grammar nazi-ing. I used to be one myself and it is not a socially accepted thing. I started opening myself up to slang and poor grammar and I found that those errors make you a more comfortable person to be around in most cases. Normal people like to be around people who speak normally, because normal = imperfection and being around imperfection raises one's self esteem.

I do pay the price because I do get corrected now. I know two English majors, one of which is my girlfriend. Both of them will correct me when necessary, and I accept the corrections, knowing that they happen to be the consequences for my decision to "dumb myself down" :P
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 10:16:39 AM
At 9/6/2009 8:59:19 PM, Maikuru wrote:
You could smile through a slew of "oh my god"s but not her little mix-up? At least you guys have English together, as the tutoring opportunities should be many.

You're fantastic :)
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 10:17:47 AM
At 9/7/2009 4:34:45 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

You'd expect a song called "Ironic" to be ironic. Because the song isn't ironic, it goes against your expectations, therefore making it ironic.

Alanis ftw.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 10:22:37 AM
That said, PoeJoe, again I must commend you -- I think you'd make a really good (at least entertaining) journalist. I encourage you to explore this in college. Anyway, ironic is actually defined as something coincidental or unexpected, i.e. It was ironic that I was seated next to my ex-husband at the dinner which is one example that the dictionary itself gives. So, keeping that in mind, it would appear as if your presumably hot blonde friend was correct in her usage of the word if she didn't expect to have a class with you in the first place or found it coincidental that she did. Nevertheless, I agree with your overall assessment about the butchering of the English language.
President of DDO
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 11:50:24 AM
I felt her breasts press up against my chest,:

I hope you resisted the temptation to gawp at them this time! Or is this a different girl?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 6:32:26 PM
At 9/28/2009 10:22:37 AM, theLwerd wrote:
That said, PoeJoe, again I must commend you -- I think you'd make a really good (at least entertaining) journalist. I encourage you to explore this in college.

There is a Writers' Workshop at my school, of which I am the president. I had intended to share a humorous essay during the first meeting, but I didn't like the writing. It was poorly written, and not funny enough. So I stuck what I had here on DDO, and started over. I ended up writing a more serious short story about religion, which was a lot better.

At 9/28/2009 11:50:24 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I felt her breasts press up against my chest,:

I hope you resisted the temptation to gawp at them this time! Or is this a different girl?

The previous girl was Asian: "Imagine the best cliché of a smoking hot Asian girl you can think of, then think harder. Long dark hair, curvy (but by no means skinny) body, and a face spewing curiosity and innocence. Oh joy."
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2009 8:27:24 PM
At 9/26/2009 9:35:54 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I have an asian fetish that strongly overpowers my ability to process the attractiveness of non-asian girls, but even in this situation, I wouldn't even have noticed the seemingly endless stream of "oh my god"s she was spitting out. I zoned out at "breasts".

I can tolerate the improper use of words, so long as she is attractive, friendly, and using the words in ways that are at least *socially* acceptable.

Errors like "axe" vs "ask", "could of" vs "could have", "neither or" vs "neither nor", or "dubloo" vs "w", irk me.

BUMP!

Same here. Another common one that p*sses me off is "use to", as in "I use to do this...".
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2009 8:58:46 PM
At 11/17/2009 8:56:44 PM, Nags wrote:
"Awkward" has been beat to death with overuse.

I just used it like 11 times in a PM.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2009 9:06:52 PM
At 11/17/2009 8:58:46 PM, wjmelements wrote:

A PM on DDO requires awkward? Well, that's awkward. Also, you used "like" in your last post, which is like a big no-no.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2009 9:08:49 PM
At 11/17/2009 9:06:52 PM, Nags wrote:

A PM on DDO requires awkward? Well, that's awkward. Also, you used "like" in your last post, which is like a big no-no.

I did that on purpose. And the PM was discussing an English paper. I was commenting on their phrasing.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
alto2osu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2009 12:37:15 PM
At 11/17/2009 9:08:49 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 11/17/2009 9:06:52 PM, Nags wrote:

I did that on purpose. And the PM was discussing an English paper. I was commenting on their phrasing.

#1 pet peeve: people who use the incorrect pronoun in reference to a singular antecedent (i.e. "their" should be "his" or "her" in the post quoted above me-- love you, WJ :) ).

#2 pet peeve: "quote" vs. "quotation"

Quote is a verb. I may quote something, but I may NOT, for example, deliver a witty quote.

Quotation is a noun. I may deliver a witty quotation. I swear to the Lord God that I will take this one back. Consider it an English teacher's crusade.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2009 7:36:21 PM
#1 pet peeve: people who use the incorrect pronoun in reference to a singular antecedent (i.e. "their" should be "his" or "her" in the post quoted above me-- love you, WJ :) ).

Fair enough, but what if you don't wish to disclose the gender of the person you're referring to, or otherwise don't yet know the gender.

For example, if I start an open debate (i.e. my eventual opponent may be male or female), and in my first round I wish to say "I thank my opponent in advance for _____ first round", or something similar. Is the correct term "his/her", or is "their" acceptable in this case?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
alto2osu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 9:34:54 AM
"Their" is never acceptable in that case because it is a plural pronoun :) It cannot grammatically be paired with a singular antecedent, which would be your opponent (lest you had more than one opponent). Hence, you have to use "his or her." You can also refer to a singular, non-gender antecedent as "one," but in the context you put your example in, that'd be weird and incomprehensible.

Granted, colloquially people do this ALL THE TIME, but that doesn't make it right.