Jump to topic:

Decisions, decisions

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 2:06:29 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
So, basically, my road to college starts next year. I study for my major, life defining exam in 2 years. What I have to decide is what I study. And what I am gearing for in college.

Basically, I found a sweet Philosophy/ Other subject (Most likely History), called Two-Subject moderatorship (TSM). To my knowledge, no special subject requirements are needed (Besides the standard 2 Higher level C's+ and 4 ordinary C+'s [minimum]). Which means I get to study subjects I'm good at :D. I have already settled on History and French, plus Maths, English and Irish are mandatory. However, I'm in a pickle for the last 2. The options I'm considering are:

- Business Studies (Bleh.)
- Economics (I've been intrigued by economics)
- Geography ( A supposed easy A/B)
- A Science (I suck at physics; So Biology or chemistry)

[Btw, if you didn't notice my school sucks for optional subjects >.>)

Thoughts on what could aid me in my Philosophy/ History endeavours, or what is easy by experience?

Also, if you could look at this list: http://www.tcd.ie..., and tell me if you can spot History.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 3:38:09 PM
At 9/8/2009 2:06:29 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
So, basically, my road to college starts next year. I study for my major, life defining exam in 2 years. What I have to decide is what I study. And what I am gearing for in college.

Basically, I found a sweet Philosophy/ Other subject (Most likely History), called Two-Subject moderatorship (TSM). To my knowledge, no special subject requirements are needed (Besides the standard 2 Higher level C's+ and 4 ordinary C+'s [minimum]). Which means I get to study subjects I'm good at :D. I have already settled on History and French, plus Maths, English and Irish are mandatory. However, I'm in a pickle for the last 2. The options I'm considering are:

- Business Studies (Bleh.)
- Economics (I've been intrigued by economics)
- Geography ( A supposed easy A/B)
- A Science (I suck at physics; So Biology or chemistry)

[Btw, if you didn't notice my school sucks for optional subjects >.>)

Thoughts on what could aid me in my Philosophy/ History endeavours, or what is easy by experience?

Also, if you could look at this list: http://www.tcd.ie..., and tell me if you can spot History.

It depends on what you want to do outside of college, but I do believe Geography would be of most help. With a philosohy-geography combination, you can see how ones surrondings affects ones viewpoint (ex. hard life: little resources leads to bitter, more nietztche-like philosophy) and geography certainly has had major impacts on history.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 8:40:01 AM
My two cents: I was the same way when I was your age. I remember wanting to take Psychology in HS because I thought I was going to help me in doing something law-related in college or beyond; it turns out that I did neither (take Psych OR law). I can say from personal experience and witnessing countless others in the same boat ultimately CHANGE. THEIR. MIND. dozens of times, so really all this preparation (and sometimes agonizing) may be for naught.

I remember telling my ex that her little sister would undoubtedly change her college major at least 3x - we took a bet on it (because her sister was apparently the most consistent person on the planet) and I won, obviously. The point here is that you should take things you enjoy and can GET GOOD GRADES IN. That's the most important thing.

I am personally intrigued as hell by Physics; however, I've never excelled in math related courses in the past, so why sign up? If I could take it for fun, that'd be one thing, but these are our grades (how people judge us... stupid) that we're talking about. You're better off picking things you know will make you look good on paper. Save the stuff you're interested in for personal time. Or take up those courses in the future when you're more settled; College allows you to take a lot of classes that you're interested in non-related to your major anyway.

But hey - what do I know? I've screwed up so many times, I may be completely off base here. So to answer your original question, I'd say that Economics is definitely something interesting and history related (I mean consider the Industrial Revolution and all of the economic ideologies that spurred forth from that, for instance) and try to look for something philosophy related if you can.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 9:08:19 AM
At 9/17/2009 8:40:01 AM, theLwerd wrote:
My two cents: I was the same way when I was your age. I remember wanting to take Psychology in HS because I thought I was going to help me in doing something law-related in college or beyond; it turns out that I did neither (take Psych OR law). I can say from personal experience and witnessing countless others in the same boat ultimately CHANGE. THEIR. MIND. dozens of times, so really all this preparation (and sometimes agonizing) may be for naught.

I remember telling my ex that her little sister would undoubtedly change her college major at least 3x - we took a bet on it (because her sister was apparently the most consistent person on the planet) and I won, obviously. The point here is that you should take things you enjoy and can GET GOOD GRADES IN. That's the most important thing.

I am personally intrigued as hell by Physics; however, I've never excelled in math related courses in the past, so why sign up? If I could take it for fun, that'd be one thing, but these are our grades (how people judge us... stupid) that we're talking about. You're better off picking things you know will make you look good on paper. Save the stuff you're interested in for personal time. Or take up those courses in the future when you're more settled; College allows you to take a lot of classes that you're interested in non-related to your major anyway.

But hey - what do I know? I've screwed up so many times, I may be completely off base here. So to answer your original question, I'd say that Economics is definitely something interesting and history related (I mean consider the Industrial Revolution and all of the economic ideologies that spurred forth from that, for instance) and try to look for something philosophy related if you can.

I pwn at History, Geography anyway, and require a European language for most courses. I'm taking economics because it's
A) Mainly theory
B) Interesting
C) The lesser of about 8 evils. Not kidding. I could do Construction studies, but I suck at woodwork. I suck at science so thats biology, chemistry and physics gone. I always fail accounting and business studies in just uninteresting (They're both covered in my curt business studies). I can't do Spanish or mechanical drawing because I haven't done the courses leading up to them. So yeah.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 9:13:11 AM
I have to do pick 6 preferences (4 are chosen).

I'm goign to pick

1) History (99% guaranteed)
2) French (100% guaranteed)
3) Geography (99% guaranteed)
4) Economics (Only if there is enough students, the last one had 11 so if I can get that many then w00t)
5) Business Studies (Could probably survive it, uninteresting but probably a bit easier overall than economics)
6) Biology (I hate science, but there isn't anything else really. I could probably scrape by in it)