Jump to topic:

Community College

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 8:04:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why do people choose to not go to community college for the first two years? If you have a personal reason, please share it.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 8:25:14 PM
Because my mom teaches there ...
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 10:49:03 PM
At 8/21/2012 8:04:54 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Why do people choose to not go to community college for the first two years? If you have a personal reason, please share it.

I had scholarships that paid for university.

I will say though, that if a person does not have scholarships/financial aid, choosing not to go to community college the first two years is probably not a good decision.
Tsar of DDO
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 11:00:27 PM
Scholarships + name recognition + wanting to be away from home
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 2:57:47 AM
At 8/21/2012 11:00:27 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Scholarships + name recognition + wanting to be away from home
Tsar of DDO
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 6:52:34 PM
At 8/21/2012 8:04:54 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

I personally didn't because I took a high-school course through the college I attend worth 21 credits, but only if you actually go to the college. Plus they gave me a $4,000 a year scholarship for my grades and test scores. Plus I have other scholarships to cover the remaining costs.

Unless you are in a situation like mine there's really no reason not to go to community college to get junk classes out of the way. Name recognition comes whether or not you do you entire degree at the named college, and you can move out if you want to get away from home,
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Jessalyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 8:12:02 PM
I go to an early college, so my associates will be from a community college.
People who look down on them need to remove the bricks from their rears, in my opinion. The environment is great.
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 1:03:55 PM
I've asked a few of my friends this question and they said that if you're accepted into a good 4 year school, it'd be safer to just go straight to that school and pay the high costs since if you go to a CC for 2 years, you may not get accepted again after those 2 years.

I was also told that some schools don't like getting transfer students from CC. I don't know if this is true or not.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 7:23:19 PM
But if you save tens of thousands of dollars by going to a CC, then wouldn't it be worth it to just apply later?

I'm going into the Air Force as an air traffic controller when I graduate, so I stopped worrying about colleges a while ago, so I'm not keeping up with all this stuff like my friends are, so I'm not sure.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 7:55:48 PM
At 9/3/2012 1:03:55 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
I've asked a few of my friends this question and they said that if you're accepted into a good 4 year school, it'd be safer to just go straight to that school and pay the high costs since if you go to a CC for 2 years, you may not get accepted again after those 2 years.

I was also told that some schools don't like getting transfer students from CC. I don't know if this is true or not.

Universities often have transfer admission guarantees meaning that you can be accepted with an additional benefit that if you go to community college and keep up with the required coursework, you will automatically be accepted after you finish. There is a guarantee. Or else, no one would ever go to a community college if they get accepted into a 4 year school.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 8:06:05 PM
At 9/3/2012 7:55:48 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/3/2012 1:03:55 PM, quarterexchange wrote:

Universities often have transfer admission guarantees meaning that you can be accepted with an additional benefit that if you go to community college and keep up with the required coursework, you will automatically be accepted after you finish. There is a guarantee. Or else, no one would ever go to a community college if they get accepted into a 4 year school.

Do most universities offer that? My friends are interested in schools like Berkeley and UCLA

I'm thinking that it'd be ridiculous to spend an additional 60,000 dollars if you can just get it out of the way at a local community college for a fraction of the cost.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2012 8:19:43 PM
At 9/3/2012 8:08:59 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
@ QE, this one is for the general UC's.

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu...

And this one is for UCLA.

https://www.admissions.ucla.edu...

Thanks. I'm going to show this to them.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 1:48:25 PM
Ya I made the mistake of going straight to a four year school, you don't learn anything in the first year you couldn't learn at community college and when they force you to live in the dorms and have a meal plan ... it's just 20k you wish you had back.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 1:51:48 PM
I took a couple community college courses. I stopped going after that since all other courses I want to take are university courses. The community college here is mostly just a trades school.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 1:55:10 PM
But really the classes at a community college are better in my opinion, you have something like 30 kids and a prof and no 400 person lecture halls with TAs who barely speak english trying to teach you chem 101.
I think the stigma of Community College, that its for kids not as smart, turns kids off. I think that's why I made the mistake of going straight to a four year school. I wanted to tell everyone as a freshman I was in one of the hardest programs of one of the best schools in the country...not I'm at community college.

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 1:58:12 PM
At 9/5/2012 1:55:10 PM, lewis20 wrote:
But really the classes at a community college are better in my opinion, you have something like 30 kids and a prof and no 400 person lecture halls with TAs who barely speak english trying to teach you chem 101.
I think the stigma of Community College, that its for kids not as smart, turns kids off. I think that's why I made the mistake of going straight to a four year school. I wanted to tell everyone as a freshman I was in one of the hardest programs of one of the best schools in the country...not I'm at community college.

It really depends on what one plans to take too. Like I said in my previous post I took a few courses at CC(which I didn't have a problem with) but due to me being a heavily academically inclined person it's no longer an option for me.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 2:03:13 PM

The professor has very little influence on your learning. Most people can't absorb enough information in a lecture or zone out. Its all about studying the notes, reading the book, and/or solving problems.

I remember one of my classes, I had a great professor. He would give a quiz once a week. However, I tested the theory out whether it mattered if i went to class or not. Turns out it made no difference either way. The only thing that mattered was that I studied his notes.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Xerge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 2:17:44 PM
At 9/5/2012 2:03:13 PM, darkkermit wrote:

The professor has very little influence on your learning. Most people can't absorb enough information in a lecture or zone out. Its all about studying the notes, reading the book, and/or solving problems.

I remember one of my classes, I had a great professor. He would give a quiz once a week. However, I tested the theory out whether it mattered if i went to class or not. Turns out it made no difference either way. The only thing that mattered was that I studied his notes.

Yeah, one of my teachers in high school told me that professors don't teach you the subject, they tell you information relating to it. When going to college, its learning how to teach yourself.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 3:07:51 PM
At 9/5/2012 2:17:44 PM, Xerge wrote:

Yeah, one of my teachers in high school told me that professors don't teach you the subject, they tell you information relating to it. When going to college, its learning how to teach yourself.

Even in high school, I'd agree that the teacher doesn't matter. Perhaps If you don't spend anytime studying, the teacher is important. But even spending a small time studying > what the teacher does. If its a choice between having the teacher "teach" for 45 minutes and a student study for 45 minutes, full concentration, the student studying will come out ahead.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 4:08:34 PM
At 9/5/2012 1:58:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

It really depends on what one plans to take too. Like I said in my previous post I took a few courses at CC(which I didn't have a problem with) but due to me being a heavily academically inclined person it's no longer an option for me.

It really doesn't matter for your freshman year, all freshman are going to take the same core courses which are nearly all covered by CC.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 4:09:43 PM

I was going out on a limb and assuming the professor actually has an influence on learning, they have a much greater influence in a small classroom than they do in a 400 person lecture hall.