Jump to topic:

J S of A

wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 7:06:20 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Who here does Junior Statesmen of America? I plan on joining at my school.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 7:10:13 PM
I'm doing what I guess would be semi-similar here, called the Canadian Youth Assembly. I'm not too sure about it mind you...

Whats the JSA like, if you know?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 7:11:56 PM
Last meeting, we just talked healthcare (and a lot of people seem to really know nothing...). It's a nationwide thing; there are contests.

http://jsa.org...
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 7:13:37 PM
I wish my school had something like this. We don't have debate, student congress, or anything like that. Mock trial is the only thing close to debate type stuff. We have enough money for a new $10 million football stadium and a brand new pavilion (like wtf) in front of the school. Sigh..
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 7:15:58 PM
Very interesting. You could probably do some good with the organization, especially if they don't know anything... mind you, I'm afraid to see what happens when the JSA becomes anti-government. Does the universe implode?

On another note, I'm president of the Burlington Young Liberals Club - I have some knowledge of how this stuff works, except more partisan. Its good to get involved, but I will warn you now - I don't know about the US, but there is a lot of people that simply join to say on their resume they were apart of such and such organization. They're called "paper members," and it can be very disheartening.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 7:18:50 PM
At 9/10/2009 7:15:58 PM, Volkov wrote:
Very interesting. You could probably do some good with the organization, especially if they don't know anything... mind you, I'm afraid to see what happens when the JSA becomes anti-government. Does the universe implode?
I'm working on it. I'll report the result back to you.
On another note, I'm president of the Burlington Young Liberals Club - I have some knowledge of how this stuff works, except more partisan.
High Five.
Its good to get involved, but I will warn you now - I don't know about the US, but there is a lot of people that simply join to say on their resume they were apart of such and such organization. They're called "paper members," and it can be very disheartening.
I agree with you here.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 8:38:24 PM
At 9/10/2009 7:06:20 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Who here does Junior Statesmen of America? I plan on joining at my school.

First I've heard of it. What do they do, exactly?
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 9:41:06 PM
I am a member.

At my school, we meet every Tuesday during lunch. A meeting can consist of a debate, a thought talk, or a stupid game. In addition, our school's branch of JSA regularly attends JSA-affiliated events and socials.

We're a small school, and so we don't do as much as some sister chapters. But we still a helluvalota fun. I definitely recommend joining.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 9:57:09 PM
Oppressors in Training? :)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 7:02:24 PM
At 9/10/2009 9:57:09 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Yes. We are finding ways to convince the populace that tyranny is actually for their benefit.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 7:15:50 PM
So when do they meet?
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2009 11:02:10 PM
Maybe they are more immersed in DDO than in the school's social circles, or they are immersed in different ones in the school. I know it was a pain in the butt for me to track fellow students down in high school on the rare occasion I needed to (in college most of my classes are online so the issue is moot). Course, I'm the epitome of libertarian antisociality.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2009 3:01:28 AM

LOL! Many a true word said in jest though...

They tried to set up something like JSA at my school but it was a total non starter.

I went to quite a posh school and out of the orginal 35 members there was only on student who was prepared to argue left wing causes - me, of course!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2009 5:25:17 AM
At 9/23/2009 11:02:10 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Maybe they are more immersed in DDO than in the school's social circles, or they are immersed in different ones in the school. I know it was a pain in the butt for me to track fellow students down in high school on the rare occasion I needed to (in college most of my classes are online so the issue is moot). Course, I'm the epitome of libertarian antisociality.

I think what people were saying was that they could have used AIM or the phone.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2009 9:09:23 PM
At 9/24/2009 3:01:28 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

LOL! Many a true word said in jest though...

They tried to set up something like JSA at my school but it was a total non starter.

I went to quite a posh school and out of the orginal 35 members there was only on student who was prepared to argue left wing causes - me, of course!
So your branch was just oppressor in training :P.

I think what people were saying was that they could have used AIM or the phone.
If they know said information, and if they are logged in simultaneously in the case of AIM or home in case of phone.