Jump to topic:

E-Prime

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 11:44:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I stumbled upon this little gem of a language in an article for an SAT exercise.

E-Prime, to summarize, apparently excludes all forms of to be under the reasoning that such provokes a sort of subjectivity (generally viewed as being apart from uses of identification, statement of class membership, predication, that should be abstracted. Other objections is that the use of "to be"--as "is" denotes equality between two disparate objects (conditions and things, concepts and things, and so forth), as an extension of this general view that highlights the basic foundations of E-Prime: to generally expose and avoid assumptions that easily manifest at the helm of a statement with "to be".

Part of the rationale here....for this is offered by Urban Scott here:

"To be" prevents us from experiencing a shared reality; something we need in order to communicate in a sane way. If someone sees something completely different than [sic] another, our language prevents us from acknowledging the other's point of view by limiting our perception to fixed states. ..."--Rewild or Die

The question is, at least for me, should E-Prime generally be used? Are the basic foundations tenable enough to permit its use, despite the admittedly attractive prospects it gives????
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 11:49:38 PM
I'll also ask whether or not it can be compatible with any formal English, and if it can even complement it.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 11:50:26 PM
At 9/2/2012 11:49:38 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
I'll also ask whether it can be compatible with any formal English, and if it can even complement it.

Oops...

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 11:54:54 PM
At 9/2/2012 11:50:26 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 9/2/2012 11:49:38 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
I'll also ask whether it can be compatible with any formal English, and if it can even complement it.

Oops...
It's a bit ironic that I made such an informal mistake in a sentence regarding any compatibility with formal English (lol).

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 3:08:54 AM
Bump...

OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 3:32:25 PM
I worked quit a bit with the Danish equaliant of E-prime as part of my teacher education and it is really good. It isn't something you should always use, but it help you take responsibility for your opinions and that means what you say is taken more serious.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 10:46:32 AM
At 9/4/2012 3:32:25 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
I worked quit a bit with the Danish equaliant of E-prime as part of my teacher education and it is really good. It isn't something you should always use, but it help you take responsibility for your opinions and that means what you say is taken more serious.

Hmm...I suppose that is quite true. It does sharpen the mind and, as the write gets wet all over, helps him discipline his perception.