Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Goin To School

Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 8:34:38 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
My mom gets extremely angry when I choose to not go to school. Every single time.

(Well okay, not every single time. If I can't walk my @ss out of bed, then she doesn't get angry when I say I don't want to go to school)

And the only times I choose not to go to school are either 1) when I'm sick enough so that going out would probably get other people sick or get me even sicker since I'm exposed to more things, or 2) I have enough work to do that taking a day off would benefit me more than it would harm me by losing a day's worth of lessons.

I can't figure out why she always gets so mad. If it's at all possible, I'd like to not just dismiss her concern (whatever it is) as a result of buying into the propaganda that public education is some kind of godly benevolent place, and that any time I spend away from it when the place is open makes me evil.

I think my arguments from health and from learning are sufficient, and I think also that I should be the judge of the physical capabilities of my body as well as my mind. But clearly, she doesn't think so. She thinks school is all-important, or at least gives off the impression that she does. But why?

Can you guys come up with some reasons?
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 9:00:38 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I only get school days off if I'm sick. Which is why I'm trying to get Swine Flu. I got two weeks off last year for a...certain throat infection......*ahem*

Of course, booking awkward dentist, doctor, etc appointments during school time always works a charm. Also, try and develop a bond to grandparents\ relatives liable to die soon so you will be able to take a day off a year to 'grieve'.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 9:03:17 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
That..... wasn't my point, Panda. Certainly I don't like school, but I realize that I'm gonna have to do it in order to get into college, which in turn is required for getting a relatively high pay these days. I was wondering why my mom is so against me not going to school.

The dentist appointments and dying grandparents might cut it for the school, but not for moy mom. Dentist appointment? It can be rescheduled. Dead grandma? The dead don't need you. *YOU* need to go to school.

THAT is what I do not get.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 9:07:24 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Rationing inattendance for emergencies is useful if any of your classes has a policy that a certain number of absences automatically disqualifies you for credit.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 9:09:30 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Calling in within 48 hours of absence clears the absence.

Apparently, my mom doesn't like doing that because she thinks I'm faking my sickness and she doesn't like "lying".
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 2:14:03 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I have the same issue with my mother, though I have less valid reasons than you.

I believe the basic motive behind it is that an education is extremely important. In fact, it is one of the most important things to have during your formative years. Your mother wants you to be successful and wants you to have your education done and over with, not only because it is important but most likely because she understands what will happen if you do not finish school (did she not finish school herself?).

It is not so much her need to want to control and force you to do things, as it is her idea of trying to give you the best chance in life.
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 3:01:57 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/15/2009 2:16:41 PM, Nags wrote:
"Why does my mom want me to get a good education... damn, it's so annoying!"

Yeah, dude, what a terrible mother.
Yeah dude, it's like, it totally doesn't matter if I have diarrhea, and can't walk straight, it just matters that she cares about me getting a good education because good intentions are all that ma- no, I don't buy that.

At 9/15/2009 2:14:03 PM, Volkov wrote:
[...] It is not so much her need to want to control and force you to do things, as it is her idea of trying to give you the best chance in life.
She plays the guilt game each time for days after I do it. Also, refer to my response to Nags. And I tell her these things too, it's not like I only say my reasons on the interwebs. But she just dismisses everything I say as excuses. Doesn't matter if I cite psych theories or real lief common sense, if I disagree with her, I'm wrong, every single time.

I find this "intentions" argument really repetitive. You can go ahead and say "because it's right" or whatever, but I don't see why it's right at all if good intentions also comes along with a refusal to correct error.

No, she finished school. Yes, her sister didn't finish school. No, I don't care about the "trauma" that my mom "went through" because she's already making me go through it, and playing the guilt game with me doesn't in any way make me want to go to school more because I can see through it, and using threats like that always gets the opposite effect with me, and my mom knows it. But she keeps doing it.

She is impervious to reason. Which really should signal to me that I shouldn't be asking people for why she does these things (because the sister-dropped-out-of-school thing really can explain it), but whatever. I had a fever this morning when I posted this thread.

But really. Good education? In a California public high school? Even if we dismiss the anarchist/private criticism of public schools, and even if we dismiss the other countries around the world that have better educations, just among the states, California ranks 48th in education. Good education.....

She must think I'm really f*cking retarded or something, to not be able to learn on my own from books. But I forget. School isn't about education these days, it's about getting you into college, which is about getting you into graduate school, where you.... learn by experience, just like you do in the "real world"! Or so I've heard.

Waste of money, but that's how the system works. But I guess it makes sense, my mom doesn't want me to live on welfare or anything so she wants me to go to school.

But I mean, come on. If I'm so behind on homework or so sick I can't walk further than the distance from my bed to my bathroom without becoming nauseous, should I REALLY be heading to school? What the hell could I learn if I can't concentrate? I might as well spend time at home learning from home at my own pace, or catch up on work, or work ahead on things. Sure, I might miss a day of lessons, but I'm sure there are some times where staying at home and working, even when one isn't sick, is preferable to going to school and doing some other work there.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 3:40:34 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/15/2009 3:01:57 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
But I guess it makes sense, my mom doesn't want me to live on welfare or anything so she wants me to go to school.

That is the general idea, yes - parents usually want what is best for their children, even if it means being a pain in order to get them to go down the right paths.

But I mean, come on. If I'm so behind on homework or so sick I can't walk further than the distance from my bed to my bathroom without becoming nauseous, should I REALLY be heading to school? What the hell could I learn if I can't concentrate? I might as well spend time at home learning from home at my own pace, or catch up on work, or work ahead on things. Sure, I might miss a day of lessons, but I'm sure there are some times where staying at home and working, even when one isn't sick, is preferable to going to school and doing some other work there.

I'm sure your mother isn't so unreasonable as to make sure you go to school when you're ll. In fact, I think you stated something to that effect earlier.

I'll also say this about the "benefits" of staying home from school when you basically don't believe you should go because of whatever reason. It is very beneficial to yourself in the short term - and you probably believe you could regulate yourself to only when you actually need it. But it is too much of a slippery slope, and I speak from experience.

One time becomes another, and another, and it the ball keeps rolling until you end up dropping out of school altogether, and I think your mother knows that is what can happen since it is most likely what happened with her sister, and she doesn't want it to happen to you.

I'm not saying it will happen to you, but I know it is what can happen. Your mother wants to make sure it doesn't.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 3:49:32 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/15/2009 3:01:57 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
At 9/15/2009 2:16:41 PM, Nags wrote:
"Why does my mom want me to get a good education... damn, it's so annoying!"

Yeah, dude, what a terrible mother.
Yeah dude, it's like, it totally doesn't matter if I have diarrhea, and can't walk straight, it just matters that she cares about me getting a good education because good intentions are all that ma- no, I don't buy that.

You: "2) I have enough work to do that taking a day off would benefit me more than it would harm me by losing a day's worth of lessons."

That doesn't sound like diahrea...

Do your homework when you get it. Don't leave it to the last minute. Don't blame your failure on your mom.
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 3:58:36 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/15/2009 3:40:34 PM, Volkov wrote:
I'm not saying it will happen to you, but I know it is what can happen. Your mother wants to make sure it doesn't.

Yep, I'm definitely the most risky (as in risk-taking) member of the family.
Then again, my family is ridiculously strict on so many things.

Thankfully, they don't care too much about the interwebs (if we forget that they only pay for cheap cheap cheap DSL for the moment). Which I like.

Though back on topic, I don't see that it's particularly a good argument. Sure, it'll prevent me from goin down the slippery slope now, but how about when I no longer have them around? I don't particularly have statistics on me, but generally speaking, the more something is explicitly restricted, the more it is desired (I say "explicit" because there's a completely different reaction if it's an implicit restriction, that is, something that is taken away but no one knows about it). It's not uncommon for a "well-raised" boy or girl to come from a rich family that's very strict and very traditional, to go to college and then never go to class, or join gangs, or get so drunk they have to go to the hospital, etc. We all hear about it on the news; they aren't exactly rare happenings. Hell, most of this stuff I only hear about THROUGH my parents because they watch the news and I don't.

But they don't change how they do things, even though they know that there's a pretty good chance that what they're doing is going to turn me into a malfunctioning person in the future.

Sure, there's the chance that I might go down the slippery slope of not going to school. But I'd think the alternative possible ending in college is much worse.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 4:14:13 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/15/2009 3:58:36 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
Sure, there's the chance that I might go down the slippery slope of not going to school. But I'd think the alternative possible ending in college is much worse.

I know of the statistics you're speaking of and they're real - but that doesn't mean your mother will listen. The idea is to strike the right balance between allowing someone independence, but making sure they have enough structure and authority to push them when they need it.

How your parents handle you (sounds bad when I say "handle" but whatever) during this time in your life will translate into your actions when you leave; if they had a good enough balance between independence and authority, you'll most likely end up attending college responsibly, instead of skipping classes.

Over-authoritative parents will have the effect you stated, and under-authoritative parents will allow their children to do whatever they want - meaning they could be responsible, or they could not, the latter being something responsible parents want to avoid. As I said - balance is key, and I haven't seen anything yet which says your mother isn't being balanced.
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 4:20:40 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
YEAH I STOLE VOLKOV'S 2500 POST!

At 9/15/2009 4:14:13 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/15/2009 3:58:36 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
Sure, there's the chance that I might go down the slippery slope of not going to school. But I'd think the alternative possible ending in college is much worse.

I know of the statistics you're speaking of and they're real - but that doesn't mean your mother will listen. The idea is to strike the right balance between allowing someone independence, but making sure they have enough structure and authority to push them when they need it.
SOUNDS LIKE ME SOME KEYNES. If I can see it's a guilt trip, I'm pretty sure that means it's too much authority for someone like me and it's nearing the end where authority results in bad things.

How your parents handle you (sounds bad when I say "handle" but whatever)
AND NOW WE SEE HOW METAPHOR PERVADES OUR LIFE, THE WORD "HANDLE", WHICH IS USUALLY USED IN TERMS OF LIVE-*shot*
during this time in your life will translate into your actions when you leave; if they had a good enough balance between independence and authority, you'll most likely end up attending college responsibly, instead of skipping classes.
They're acting responsibly enough, depending on what scale you want to use. I've thought about trying to emancipate myself and calling child labor services / police on them on more than one occasion. I've thought about suicide on even more occasions. I think they're using too much. I can't say how I'm going to act in college, but from my position, I disagree.

Over-authoritative parents will have the effect you stated, and under-authoritative parents will allow their children to do whatever they want - meaning they could be responsible, or they could not, the latter being something responsible parents want to avoid. As I said - balance is key, and I haven't seen anything yet which says your mother isn't being balanced.
She's a hell of a lot more balanced than before. But we won't get into that. This thread isn't entirely about my life story.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 4:23:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Just go to school. Or tell your mom to sit on it and wag. Who gives a sh*t.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 4:34:00 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/15/2009 4:20:40 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
SOUNDS LIKE ME SOME KEYNES. If I can see it's a guilt trip, I'm pretty sure that means it's too much authority for someone like me and it's nearing the end where authority results in bad things.

That is always possible, at least in terms of your personality - what I've said is considered a general guideline.

So working within that situation, it seems to me like the onus is upon you to prove that you can be responsible with these voluntary absences from school; if you can prove to your mother that you are responsible with more independence, she may let such things go by. I would try it.

AND NOW WE SEE HOW METAPHOR PERVADES OUR LIFE, THE WORD "HANDLE", WHICH IS USUALLY USED IN TERMS OF LIVE-*shot*

Lol. I only used the words "handle" because I didn't have a better word to use at the time. But, in reality, how your parents handle you is important; like it or not, they are the immediate authority in your life. Their decisions in regards to how they raise you will have a major impact on every aspect of your life.

She's a hell of a lot more balanced than before. But we won't get into that. This thread isn't entirely about my life story.

Fair enough.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 5:27:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
How do you prove such a thing without first being able to be absent? That's like proving that the sky is blue without anyone having eyes.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 5:29:36 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/15/2009 5:27:42 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
How do you prove such a thing without first being able to be absent? That's like proving that the sky is blue without anyone having eyes.

Yes please, Volkov. I would like me some answers.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 5:34:51 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/15/2009 5:29:36 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
At 9/15/2009 5:27:42 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
How do you prove such a thing without first being able to be absent? That's like proving that the sky is blue without anyone having eyes.

Yes please, Volkov. I would like me some answers.

I thought this would be self-explanatory; does anyone here how to negotiate anything?
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 5:36:58 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/15/2009 5:34:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/15/2009 5:29:36 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
At 9/15/2009 5:27:42 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
How do you prove such a thing without first being able to be absent? That's like proving that the sky is blue without anyone having eyes.

Yes please, Volkov. I would like me some answers.

I thought this would be self-explanatory; does anyone here how to negotiate anything?

Yeah, that's what I said I do since the first post of the thread. Clearly it doesn't work.
I'm also not a fan of being absent from school for reasons other than education or health, so it's not like I have many chances to "prove myself" either.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 5:44:15 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/15/2009 5:36:58 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
Yeah, that's what I said I do since the first post of the thread. Clearly it doesn't work.
I'm also not a fan of being absent from school for reasons other than education or health, so it's not like I have many chances to "prove myself" either.

It is these instances of "absent for reasons of education" that you would have to convince your mother on. Depending upon how strict she is, if you show you can moderate that without being too abrasive with your mother, she'll probably relent a little.

But again, this is how much you're willing to compromise as well. If you were able to convince your mother, you would have to listen to her when she says that you need to get to school in certain instances; for example, if you have taken off two days of school, and on the third day your mother asks you to go to school, do it, because showing some leniency and respect is key to convincing her you can be responsible with your timing on this matter.

That is how I'm doing it anyways. It seems to be OK so far.
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 5:49:20 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/15/2009 5:44:15 PM, Volkov wrote:
It is these instances of "absent for reasons of education" that you would have to convince your mother on. Depending upon how strict she is, if you show you can moderate that without being too abrasive with your mother, she'll probably relent a little.

I don't get sick often enough to have enough chances to change her belief on this, and if it is changing, it's changing at a ridiculously slow, and by that I mean uneffective, rate.

ARGGGHHH okay I think I'm done here. See you in the politics forum.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
HghDnsty
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 5:56:28 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
As a parent myself, I think the concern isn't the fact that you lose a day of school but that somehow this will put you at a competitive disadvantage over your peers. Time is a very precious resource and a day of learning missed is a day that will never be recovered. Even if you can catch up to what you missed (which I suspect you can) the time you've spent catching up is time you could have used to advance in other areas, i.e. an opportunity cost.

In addition, if other students can stay on top of their work in less time (by not taking time off) there is a concern about successfully competing in the high pressures of later life. Parents think long-term and don't want you to make the same mistakes they make.

This doesn't mean they are always right, I slacked off in high school and gained valuable life lessons doing it. But, these tend to be the concerns they have nonetheless.

Cheerio,
HghDnsty
patsox834
Posts: 406
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 6:25:03 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
This thread reminds me of a Frank Zappa quote:

<"Drop out of school before your mind rots from exposure to our mediocre educational system. Forget about the Senior Prom and go to the library and educate yourself if you've got any guts. Some of you like Pep rallies and plastic robots who tell you what to read. Forget I mentioned it. This song has no message. Rise for the flag salute. ">
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 6:25:04 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/15/2009 8:34:38 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:
My mom gets extremely angry when I choose to not go to school. Every single time.

(Well okay, not every single time. If I can't walk my @ss out of bed, then she doesn't get angry when I say I don't want to go to school)

And the only times I choose not to go to school are either 1) when I'm sick enough so that going out would probably get other people sick or get me even sicker since I'm exposed to more things, or 2) I have enough work to do that taking a day off would benefit me more than it would harm me by losing a day's worth of lessons.

I can't figure out why she always gets so mad. If it's at all possible, I'd like to not just dismiss her concern (whatever it is) as a result of buying into the propaganda that public education is some kind of godly benevolent place, and that any time I spend away from it when the place is open makes me evil.

I think my arguments from health and from learning are sufficient, and I think also that I should be the judge of the physical capabilities of my body as well as my mind. But clearly, she doesn't think so. She thinks school is all-important, or at least gives off the impression that she does. But why?

Can you guys come up with some reasons?

Because she feels its her obligation to make sure you go.

Coincidentally, I just took a day off today, but I'm in college and I only have one lecture today anyway. At the college level, you are expected to be mature enough to determine whether or not attending lecture is worth it. Today, I managed to do a healthy amount of work I would not have been able to do if I went.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
JBlake
Posts: 4,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 6:55:59 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Agreed with Kleptin. High School seems to be a glorified babysitter. There is no real important reason to go - except, as Rezz mentioned, to jump through the hoop to get to college. I would imagine that most parents force you to attend every day because they haven't stopped to critically examine the issue (ie, whether you can do the studying outside of school).

In college you are given the freedom to decide for yourself.
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2009 7:04:22 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/15/2009 6:55:59 PM, JBlake wrote:
Agreed with Kleptin. High School seems to be a glorified babysitter. There is no real important reason to go - except, as Rezz mentioned, to jump through the hoop to get to college. I would imagine that most parents force you to attend every day because they haven't stopped to critically examine the issue (ie, whether you can do the studying outside of school).

In college you are given the freedom to decide for yourself.

Oh sh!t a socialist agreed with me yaaaayyyyyyy~~~ <3 no wait that might be a bad thing...

To be honest I can't study all that well if I don't have someone for me to go to ask questions about (which is why even though all my peers are even forming f*cking cliques based on which UC they're planning to go to, I'm most likely not going to go to one, gonna opt for a small private college or something), because my train of thought usually doesn't follow the books'. It's why I do want to go to school somewhat. I don't like it, and I'd surely prefer a private school or homeschooling and a tutor, but it's what I have to work with, and it caters to at least a couple of my needs in comparison to learning straight from a book.

Which is why I try to go to school.
It's just that I have "lower" standards than my mom does.

Sigh.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2009 6:08:57 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/15/2009 7:04:22 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
At 9/15/2009 6:55:59 PM, JBlake wrote:
Agreed with Kleptin. High School seems to be a glorified babysitter. There is no real important reason to go - except, as Rezz mentioned, to jump through the hoop to get to college. I would imagine that most parents force you to attend every day because they haven't stopped to critically examine the issue (ie, whether you can do the studying outside of school).

In college you are given the freedom to decide for yourself.

Oh sh!t a socialist agreed with me yaaaayyyyyyy~~~ <3 no wait that might be a bad thing...

To be honest I can't study all that well if I don't have someone for me to go to ask questions about (which is why even though all my peers are even forming f*cking cliques based on which UC they're planning to go to, I'm most likely not going to go to one, gonna opt for a small private college or something), because my train of thought usually doesn't follow the books'. It's why I do want to go to school somewhat. I don't like it, and I'd surely prefer a private school or homeschooling and a tutor, but it's what I have to work with, and it caters to at least a couple of my needs in comparison to learning straight from a book.

Which is why I try to go to school.
It's just that I have "lower" standards than my mom does.

Sigh.

There's a point in which schooling is more of a formality and less of an educational thing, depending on what your major is. The truly booky people tend to have a lot of trouble coming out because they don't have the street smarts to survive in this job market.

The most important thing about college is networking and making friends. Kids with a 4.0GPA will do nothing but raise eyebrows. Most employers aren't looking for nerds, they are looking for charisma and leadership skills, as well as experience.

That's why I highly suggest you shoot for a college with a nice name and distinguished alumnus, ideally it would be one of the pseudo-ivies. That way, you aren't seen as arrogant or silver-spooned by potential employers.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2009 6:19:54 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/16/2009 6:08:57 PM, Kleptin wrote:
There's a point in which schooling is more of a formality and less of an educational thing, depending on what your major is. The truly booky people tend to have a lot of trouble coming out because they don't have the street smarts to survive in this job market.

The most important thing about college is networking and making friends. Kids with a 4.0GPA will do nothing but raise eyebrows. Most employers aren't looking for nerds, they are looking for charisma and leadership skills, as well as experience.
They say all that makes a leader is confidence and ability to give answers, regardless of their actual validity. I have the confidence, but unfortunately I actually change my answers due to new evidence and I actually ask people questions so I can't be a leader. THERE GOES MY FUTURE ;-;

That's why I highly suggest you shoot for a college with a nice name and distinguished alumnus, ideally it would be one of the pseudo-ivies. That way, you aren't seen as arrogant or silver-spooned by potential employers.
Yeah, I want to do that. My dad wants me to go to UOP and become a pharmacist and earn lots of money for little to no work though and says he's giving me an "incentive" to do so by not paying for my college tuition if I go anywhere else, but whatever. I'll figure a way out.

I am not going to be a motherf*cking pharmacist.
I'd be bored out of my wits and feeling guilty 24/7 because I'd be getting AMA money.

My dad's all like, don't go into IT, or don't go into engineering, because it's hard, and there's competition, and you always have to keep learning. Just go get a state job or something, and live an easy life because you're never going to get fired [no matter how sh!tty you perform]. God damit it pisses me off so much that he's so focused on survival he's willing to forgo everything else.

Life is about happiness, right?

If I ever did that, I'd either go crazy bottling up the anger, or I'd kill myself from all the guilt and grief.

And then I have to do my senior year homework on top of all this college and think about your future stuff.

BLARGH

Thanks for all the advice, everyone :)
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2009 6:25:07 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/15/2009 6:55:59 PM, JBlake wrote:
Agreed with Kleptin. High School seems to be a glorified babysitter. There is no real important reason to go - except, as Rezz mentioned, to jump through the hoop to get to college. I would imagine that most parents force you to attend every day because they haven't stopped to critically examine the issue (ie, whether you can do the studying outside of school).

In college you are given the freedom to decide for yourself.

I'm really looking forward to college, and this is one of those reasons. Another is personal educational subject choice, which I haven't had since Junior High and will not have again until after I graduate.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light