Jump to topic:

Foreign Language Mastery

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 3:21:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
For an advanced class, I have been noticing a certain difficulty for me to at least understand some of the more subtler nuances of the foreign language I'm studying in, as well as an inability to keep up with the utterances of native speakers, more advanced vocabularies, dialects, idioms, etc. Now, realize that I do not wish to set myself with an enormous burden to shoulder, but am interested in a general methodology (as in for any foreign language).

If you have a general experience on how you learned a language, then you can share it. I certainly need a resourcefulness to advance my grasp on Italian, which I am currently studying.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 3:30:40 AM
Immersion is the best way to learn. Get down the basics, and just start living in the language, which isn't always easy.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 3:34:08 AM
At 10/13/2012 3:30:40 AM, innomen wrote:
Immersion is the best way to learn. Get down the basics, and just start living in the language, which isn't always easy.

Well, yes. True indeed.

I would however ask-how would you live in the language?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Chaos88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 6:10:46 AM
At 10/13/2012 3:34:08 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 10/13/2012 3:30:40 AM, innomen wrote:

Well, yes. True indeed.

I would however ask-how would you live in the language?

Go there, watch movies or TV, listen to people who speak it if you can, read articles on the internet in Italian, go to an Italian blog and read any dialogue (the more formal the better).