Total Posts:51|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

the end of the ivy league education

sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 6:39:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's about time. An ivy league education will be like a community college is thaught of today by ivy league attendees. They don't teach people anything anymore. The education bubble is about to burst. Business is tired of the worthless people coming out of theses ivy league schools. They don't know how to do anything. Move over ivy league the trade schools are about to take over.

http://blogmaverick.com...
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:31:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Nope, it is actually true that college graduates earn more than high school graduates, so its not going to burst:

http://tinyurl.com...

They can pay off their debts, unlike in the housing crisis, where the people who owned the house couldn't afford it, and there is no "greater fool" to pass off the equity, like there was in the housing bubble.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 7:35:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
You do realize that businesses are dominated by Ivy League graduates who pull people from their former schools, right? Alumni network stuff is splashed on emails all the time at my college . . .
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 8:28:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The single most important thing anyone needs to know if they want a high paying job is to know how to use auto cad and all it's versions. The second most important thing anyone needs to know is how to use the proprietary software that a firm uses. The future is this. Your theoretical term papers are a thing of the past. If you don't have a strong command of proprietary software of all kinds plus auto cad and all of it's versions you are about useless. I cant count how many people with engineering degrees that have applied for the CNC position that opens up from time to time who were absolutly clueless. It was always the guy with minimal education and loads of hands on experience operating all different sorts of machines and programs that came in and made the others look like schmucks.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 8:31:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/16/2012 8:28:49 PM, sadolite wrote:
The single most important thing anyone needs to know if they want a high paying job is to know how to use auto cad and all it's versions. The second most important thing anyone needs to know is how to use the proprietary software that a firm uses. The future is this. Your theoretical term papers are a thing of the past. If you don't have a strong command of proprietary software of all kinds plus auto cad and all of it's versions you are about useless. I cant count how many people with engineering degrees that have applied for the CNC position that opens up from time to time who were absolutly clueless. It was always the guy with minimal education and loads of hands on experience operating all different sorts of machines and programs that came in and made the others look like schmucks.

Oh I learned that at my university :p.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 8:45:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Sadolite, your being ridiculous, as usual. First off, I've looked at jobs such as AutoCad drafter. The pay for them generally stink. Second, of course people entering the field will have more trouble than people who have been in the field for years. Its called experience and learning. People are a beginner at some point. However, theoretically knowledge is incredibly important. Just because your not required to learn it and you don't need to for your job, doesn't mean that it isn't important for other jobs and other applications. You really think its a smart idea to create a nuclear reactor without doing the calculations out beforehand to make sure that it will safely operate? The fact is, If I gave you an engineering design problem, you'd be absolutely clueless.

Here's an exam problem from my FE-exam problem. See if you can solve it:

100 g of water are mixed with 150 g of another fluid (density = 790 kg/m3). What is the specific gravity of the resulting mixture, assuming that the volumes are additive and the mixture is homogeneous?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 8:46:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/16/2012 8:31:18 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/16/2012 8:28:49 PM, sadolite wrote:
The single most important thing anyone needs to know if they want a high paying job is to know how to use auto cad and all it's versions. The second most important thing anyone needs to know is how to use the proprietary software that a firm uses. The future is this. Your theoretical term papers are a thing of the past. If you don't have a strong command of proprietary software of all kinds plus auto cad and all of it's versions you are about useless. I cant count how many people with engineering degrees that have applied for the CNC position that opens up from time to time who were absolutly clueless. It was always the guy with minimal education and loads of hands on experience operating all different sorts of machines and programs that came in and made the others look like schmucks.

Oh I learned that at my university :p.

Oh I learned that to but got paid $20.00 an hour to do it. How much did it cost you? And have you seen a dime of return on it yet?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 8:50:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/16/2012 8:46:11 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 10/16/2012 8:31:18 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/16/2012 8:28:49 PM, sadolite wrote:
The single most important thing anyone needs to know if they want a high paying job is to know how to use auto cad and all it's versions. The second most important thing anyone needs to know is how to use the proprietary software that a firm uses. The future is this. Your theoretical term papers are a thing of the past. If you don't have a strong command of proprietary software of all kinds plus auto cad and all of it's versions you are about useless. I cant count how many people with engineering degrees that have applied for the CNC position that opens up from time to time who were absolutly clueless. It was always the guy with minimal education and loads of hands on experience operating all different sorts of machines and programs that came in and made the others look like schmucks.

Oh I learned that at my university :p.

Oh I learned that to but got paid $20.00 an hour to do it. How much did it cost you? And have you seen a dime of return on it yet?

I learned a lot more than autocad from my university............

And college didn't cost me a dime either. I got free tuition. I got a $20/hour job after graduating, but got laid off. However, your a much older person than me, and wages tend to increase as you get older.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 8:58:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/16/2012 7:31:08 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Nope, it is actually true that college graduates earn more than high school graduates, so its not going to burst:

http://tinyurl.com...

They can pay off their debts, unlike in the housing crisis, where the people who owned the house couldn't afford it, and there is no "greater fool" to pass off the equity, like there was in the housing bubble.

The point I am trying to make is this, there are no jobs. You can site that people with degrees earn more, so what. there aren't enough high paying jobs to go around. One must use common sense and consider whether getting ones self into what I would call ridiculous amounts of debt before one has even entered the job market with absolutely no prospects to pay it back. I wounder if they teach this kind of stuff in universities.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com...
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 9:00:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/16/2012 8:51:03 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Sadolite, can you answer my math problem? I'd consider it an easy one.

I don't have patients for your worthless sarcasm. Probably why you got laid off. I know I would fire you.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 9:00:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/16/2012 8:58:01 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 10/16/2012 7:31:08 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Nope, it is actually true that college graduates earn more than high school graduates, so its not going to burst:

http://tinyurl.com...

They can pay off their debts, unlike in the housing crisis, where the people who owned the house couldn't afford it, and there is no "greater fool" to pass off the equity, like there was in the housing bubble.

The point I am trying to make is this, there are no jobs. You can site that people with degrees earn more, so what. there aren't enough high paying jobs to go around. One must use common sense and consider whether getting ones self into what I would call ridiculous amounts of debt before one has even entered the job market with absolutely no prospects to pay it back. I wounder if they teach this kind of stuff in universities.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com...

Lol... Unless population in the developed world is increasing at the rate of a Stage 2 country (which it's not), there will be plenty of jobs for everybody.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 9:03:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/16/2012 9:00:46 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 10/16/2012 8:51:03 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Sadolite, can you answer my math problem? I'd consider it an easy one.

I don't have patients for your worthless sarcasm. Probably why you got laid off. I know I would fire you.

I would quit If I worked with you. Your complaining that the engineers that you work with are so "helpless" but you can't even solve a simple math problem.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 9:08:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/16/2012 8:45:08 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Sadolite, your being ridiculous, as usual. First off, I've looked at jobs such as AutoCad drafter. The pay for them generally stink. Second, of course people entering the field will have more trouble than people who have been in the field for years. Its called experience and learning. People are a beginner at some point. However, theoretically knowledge is incredibly important. Just because your not required to learn it and you don't need to for your job, doesn't mean that it isn't important for other jobs and other applications. You really think its a smart idea to create a nuclear reactor without doing the calculations out beforehand to make sure that it will safely operate? The fact is, If I gave you an engineering design problem, you'd be absolutely clueless.

Here's an exam problem from my FE-exam problem. See if you can solve it:

100 g of water are mixed with 150 g of another fluid (density = 790 kg/m3). What is the specific gravity of the resulting mixture, assuming that the volumes are additive and the mixture is homogeneous?

This is my point exactly, I dont need to solve it, no one does. It's already been solved. Just google it. This is where you got this math problem. Why don't you answer it.

a) 0.63 cm^3/g
b) 0.82 cm^3/g
c) 0.88 cm^3/g
d) 1.20 cm^3/g
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 9:13:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/16/2012 9:08:23 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 10/16/2012 8:45:08 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Sadolite, your being ridiculous, as usual. First off, I've looked at jobs such as AutoCad drafter. The pay for them generally stink. Second, of course people entering the field will have more trouble than people who have been in the field for years. Its called experience and learning. People are a beginner at some point. However, theoretically knowledge is incredibly important. Just because your not required to learn it and you don't need to for your job, doesn't mean that it isn't important for other jobs and other applications. You really think its a smart idea to create a nuclear reactor without doing the calculations out beforehand to make sure that it will safely operate? The fact is, If I gave you an engineering design problem, you'd be absolutely clueless.

Here's an exam problem from my FE-exam problem. See if you can solve it:

100 g of water are mixed with 150 g of another fluid (density = 790 kg/m3). What is the specific gravity of the resulting mixture, assuming that the volumes are additive and the mixture is homogeneous?

This is my point exactly, I dont need to solve it, no one does. It's already been solved. Just google it. This is where you got this math problem. Why don't you answer it.

a) 0.63 cm^3/g
b) 0.82 cm^3/g
c) 0.88 cm^3/g
d) 1.20 cm^3/g

a) Someone did solve it at some point. Just because the answer is there doesn't mean it appeared out of thin air.
b) The point is knowing how to solve problems like these, not just the general answer. If I switch the numbers around so that the density or grams changed, it would be a unique problem that isn't solved. However, if one knows how to solve it, it could be solved pretty easily.
c) I know the answer to it. I'm asking you to solve it. I will then tell you If your correct or not.

I don't care if you don't know how to solve it. The point was to indicate that we all have specialized abilities. Anyone with an engineering degree or even basic problem solving abilities could solve this problem. Just because you know stuff that others don't, doesn't make you superior in intelligence to everyone. There are some stuff that you know that others don't and vice versa.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 9:39:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/16/2012 9:13:15 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/16/2012 9:08:23 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 10/16/2012 8:45:08 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Sadolite, your being ridiculous, as usual. First off, I've looked at jobs such as AutoCad drafter. The pay for them generally stink. Second, of course people entering the field will have more trouble than people who have been in the field for years. Its called experience and learning. People are a beginner at some point. However, theoretically knowledge is incredibly important. Just because your not required to learn it and you don't need to for your job, doesn't mean that it isn't important for other jobs and other applications. You really think its a smart idea to create a nuclear reactor without doing the calculations out beforehand to make sure that it will safely operate? The fact is, If I gave you an engineering design problem, you'd be absolutely clueless.

Here's an exam problem from my FE-exam problem. See if you can solve it:

100 g of water are mixed with 150 g of another fluid (density = 790 kg/m3). What is the specific gravity of the resulting mixture, assuming that the volumes are additive and the mixture is homogeneous?

This is my point exactly, I dont need to solve it, no one does. It's already been solved. Just google it. This is where you got this math problem. Why don't you answer it.

a) 0.63 cm^3/g
b) 0.82 cm^3/g
c) 0.88 cm^3/g
d) 1.20 cm^3/g

a) Someone did solve it at some point. Just because the answer is there doesn't mean it appeared out of thin air.
b) The point is knowing how to solve problems like these, not just the general answer. If I switch the numbers around so that the density or grams changed, it would be a unique problem that isn't solved. However, if one knows how to solve it, it could be solved pretty easily.
c) I know the answer to it. I'm asking you to solve it. I will then tell you If your correct or not.

I don't care if you don't know how to solve it. The point was to indicate that we all have specialized abilities. Anyone with an engineering degree or even basic problem solving abilities could solve this problem. Just because you know stuff that others don't, doesn't make you superior in intelligence to everyone. There are some stuff that you know that others don't and vice versa.

You put words in my mouth. This thread is not about me or my math skills. It is about the value vs return on investment of a college education in today's world and job market. All the numbers show that those with no ability to pay back a huge loan with no prospects in the future are making a bad investment and are better of going to a specialized form of education and will have much more succes at landing a high paying job than some one who spends $75,000 for an ivy league education that for all practical purposes leads you in the door with no experience at anything. This "is" the state of affairs and it doesn't take a college degree to understand. It is to easy to get loans for college and it is driving the costs up to go to college. The more people who go to college the lower the standards get and the less it means. It is showing it's ugly face in the job market. I am sorry if you don't like what I am saying but it is cold hard fact. A College degree is not a guarantee of anything anymore. And one should look very carefully at their options in their field of interest before they go tens of thousands in debt and have no prospects or even a clue as to how it will be paid back. My wife is nearly 50 years old and is still paying on her college loan. I think she has 3 more payments. She went to a real estate appraisers school for $750.00 and is earning bookoo bucks now. That four year degree was a waste of money to her and this will be the case for thousands upon thousands. Don't go to college if you think it is your ticket somewhere, it isn't. Your ticket is wisdom and ambition.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 9:48:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/16/2012 9:39:36 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 10/16/2012 9:13:15 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/16/2012 9:08:23 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 10/16/2012 8:45:08 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Sadolite, your being ridiculous, as usual. First off, I've looked at jobs such as AutoCad drafter. The pay for them generally stink. Second, of course people entering the field will have more trouble than people who have been in the field for years. Its called experience and learning. People are a beginner at some point. However, theoretically knowledge is incredibly important. Just because your not required to learn it and you don't need to for your job, doesn't mean that it isn't important for other jobs and other applications. You really think its a smart idea to create a nuclear reactor without doing the calculations out beforehand to make sure that it will safely operate? The fact is, If I gave you an engineering design problem, you'd be absolutely clueless.

Here's an exam problem from my FE-exam problem. See if you can solve it:

100 g of water are mixed with 150 g of another fluid (density = 790 kg/m3). What is the specific gravity of the resulting mixture, assuming that the volumes are additive and the mixture is homogeneous?

This is my point exactly, I dont need to solve it, no one does. It's already been solved. Just google it. This is where you got this math problem. Why don't you answer it.

a) 0.63 cm^3/g
b) 0.82 cm^3/g
c) 0.88 cm^3/g
d) 1.20 cm^3/g

a) Someone did solve it at some point. Just because the answer is there doesn't mean it appeared out of thin air.
b) The point is knowing how to solve problems like these, not just the general answer. If I switch the numbers around so that the density or grams changed, it would be a unique problem that isn't solved. However, if one knows how to solve it, it could be solved pretty easily.
c) I know the answer to it. I'm asking you to solve it. I will then tell you If your correct or not.

I don't care if you don't know how to solve it. The point was to indicate that we all have specialized abilities. Anyone with an engineering degree or even basic problem solving abilities could solve this problem. Just because you know stuff that others don't, doesn't make you superior in intelligence to everyone. There are some stuff that you know that others don't and vice versa.

You put words in my mouth. This thread is not about me or my math skills. It is about the value vs return on investment of a college education in today's world and job market. All the numbers show that those with no ability to pay back a huge loan with no prospects in the future are making a bad investment and are better of going to a specialized form of education and will have much more succes at landing a high paying job than some one who spends $75,000 for an ivy league education that for all practical purposes leads you in the door with no experience at anything. This "is" the state of affairs and it doesn't take a college degree to understand. It is to easy to get loans for college and it is driving the costs up to go to college. The more people who go to college the lower the standards get and the less it means. It is showing it's ugly face in the job market. I am sorry if you don't like what I am saying but it is cold hard fact. A College degree is not a guarantee of anything anymore. And one should look very carefully at their options in their field of interest before they go tens of thousands in debt and have no prospects or even a clue as to how it will be paid back. My wife is nearly 50 years old and is still paying on her college loan. I think she has 3 more payments. She went to a real estate appraisers school for $750.00 and is earning bookoo bucks now. That four year degree was a waste of money to her and this will be the case for thousands upon thousands. Don't go to college if you think it is your ticket somewhere, it isn't. Your ticket is wisdom and ambition.

How do the numbers show that? I already showed you a graph that people with a college degree earn 1.9 times more at the age of 25 then high school graduates, and the gap between wages of those with only a high school degree and those with a college degree is increasing, not decreasing.

Furthermore, If you do a Net-present value analysis (I'm sure you have no idea what that is), you'd find that one gets a positive investment from college. The positive investment end result is in the hundreds of thousands. Oh, and if you go to a public college in your own state, you pay substantially less then if you go out-of-state or a private school. Not to mention some people can get a significantly reduced rate or a free ride if you include scholarships.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 9:48:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
You can always count on the young to mock the wisdom of the old.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 9:50:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
And I'm not putting words in your mouth. You literally said word for word: "They don't teach people anything anymore."

I showed you directly an engineering/math problem you couldn't solve because you never learned it.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 6:24:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/16/2012 9:50:38 PM, darkkermit wrote:
And I'm not putting words in your mouth. You literally said word for word: "They don't teach people anything anymore."

I showed you directly an engineering/math problem you couldn't solve because you never learned it.

Again You completely miss the point of the thread and instead try to make the focus about me. What ever, spend a bazillion dollars on a college education and do a half azzed job and get sub par grades and sit and wounder why people are not knocking your door down to hire you and pay you $100,000 a year because you have a diploma from a college. Getting anything less than an (A) in college is a waste of everyone's time and only ruins it for those who would. The colleges are littered with people still taking remedial math and English. They are not college material and are wasting everyone's time and resources. They are taking up valuable seats that should go to the super elite who would not otherwise be able to afford college. But instead we are being told that if you don't go to college you wont be successful. So the govt just hands out trillions of dollars which colleges gladly take as they could care less if you graduate and have to answer to no one in govt for showing appalling drop out rates. College is for the elite not the average joe it is for the ultra ambitious not someone who thinks if they can scrape by and get a diploma they might land a dream job. The people who go in debt that fit the "scrape by demographic and might get a dream job" are making the worst investment in their life. While at the same time ruining it for everyone who belongs there. These people are throwing their finacial futures in the toilet before they even enter the job market. They will most likley never pay the loan and default and ruin their credit for years to come. The govt grant tuition bubble will pop and all these colleges that rely so heavily on funding from all these people who barrow tens of thousands of dollars is going to come to an abrupt end. If you are going to reply try to stay on topic instead of trying to shoot the messenger. No I didn't go to college, so what. It does not mean that I don't know a thing or two about a thing or two and not know how to read the tea leafs. Tell me how letting every single jerk off who can hoodwink the govt into giving them tens of thousands of dollars to pay a college tuition and be accepted with sub par grades into a college is improving the education system especially at the university level. They have to lower standards and they have. And it is a direct detriment to you being as you have attended a college making your achievement no better than the worst in class. Again anything less than an A brings the whole thing down. The guy who just barely got by is as good as the guy who went all out and got top honors. Employers don't care about your efforts in college. A diploma is a diploma even if it was paid for and you did nothing to earn it.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,268
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 8:36:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I agree with Royal, elite jobs are handed out through contacts and networks of elite people, not a peice of paper. Sorry Sadolight.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,268
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 8:39:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/16/2012 8:45:08 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Here's an exam problem from my FE-exam problem. See if you can solve it:

100 g of water are mixed with 150 g of another fluid (density = 790 kg/m3). What is the specific gravity of the resulting mixture, assuming that the volumes are additive and the mixture is homogeneous?

What is the temperature Kermy?
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 8:49:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/17/2012 8:39:26 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/16/2012 8:45:08 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Here's an exam problem from my FE-exam problem. See if you can solve it:

100 g of water are mixed with 150 g of another fluid (density = 790 kg/m3). What is the specific gravity of the resulting mixture, assuming that the volumes are additive and the mixture is homogeneous?

What is the temperature Kermy?

Knowing the temperature won't help you solve the problem.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,268
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 8:50:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/17/2012 8:49:10 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/17/2012 8:39:26 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/16/2012 8:45:08 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Here's an exam problem from my FE-exam problem. See if you can solve it:

100 g of water are mixed with 150 g of another fluid (density = 790 kg/m3). What is the specific gravity of the resulting mixture, assuming that the volumes are additive and the mixture is homogeneous?

What is the temperature Kermy?

Knowing the temperature won't help you solve the problem.

lies.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 8:52:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/17/2012 8:50:29 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/17/2012 8:49:10 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/17/2012 8:39:26 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/16/2012 8:45:08 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Here's an exam problem from my FE-exam problem. See if you can solve it:

100 g of water are mixed with 150 g of another fluid (density = 790 kg/m3). What is the specific gravity of the resulting mixture, assuming that the volumes are additive and the mixture is homogeneous?

What is the temperature Kermy?

Knowing the temperature won't help you solve the problem.

lies.

Do you want a hint? Google what "specific gravity" means if that's whats troubling you.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,268
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 8:52:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org...

"Specific gravity varies with temperature; reference and sample must be compared at the same temperature, or corrected to a standard reference temperature. "
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 8:52:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/17/2012 8:50:29 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/17/2012 8:49:10 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/17/2012 8:39:26 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/16/2012 8:45:08 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Here's an exam problem from my FE-exam problem. See if you can solve it:

100 g of water are mixed with 150 g of another fluid (density = 790 kg/m3). What is the specific gravity of the resulting mixture, assuming that the volumes are additive and the mixture is homogeneous?

What is the temperature Kermy?

Knowing the temperature won't help you solve the problem.

lies.

curious, greyparrot: what did you major in?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,268
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 8:57:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I currently have a BIS in History and Business.
I have State certification to teach highschool social studies while I am persuing my masters in teaching.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 8:58:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/17/2012 8:54:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I dropped out of an engineering major after my Navy stint, I know only a smattering.

I thought you just got your college diploma? Its more of a math challenge rather than a challenge on basic engineering understanding. Specific weight is basically a fancy way of saying "g/cm3". Well technically it isn't, but the numbers work out, so that's the way I alyways think of it whenever I see it.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...