Jump to topic:

Is this a school's right?

Jessalyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 1:13:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Does a school have the right to make a student's progress (progress that implies grades; for example, a chart with the names of students who had not completed an assignment that would be counted for a grade, which would indicate that certain students were failing and others passing) public?

Both legally and morally, how do you feel about this?
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 1:26:39 PM
At 11/27/2012 1:13:48 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Does a school have the right to make a student's progress (progress that implies grades; for example, a chart with the names of students who had not completed an assignment that would be counted for a grade, which would indicate that certain students were failing and others passing) public?

If a teacher wants to keep his rights to privacy, then he should extend the same to the students. Seems pretty golden ruleish. In any case, a relationship between a student and a teacher shouldn't be public similar to a doctor, a lawyer, or any other guide one confides in.

I think it is okay to post a graduation roster at the end of the year or who made excellent marks, but I would not put so much emphasis on it since achievement is relative.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 6:01:01 PM
I'm for it. Public humiliation is both the best motivator and deterrent
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Jessalyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 2:45:10 PM
At 11/27/2012 6:01:01 PM, sadolite wrote:

Physical abuse is also an effective motivator, but that doesn't mean it should be done in schools.
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
Jessalyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 2:46:20 PM
At 11/27/2012 1:26:39 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

If a teacher wants to keep his rights to privacy, then he should extend the same to the students. Seems pretty golden ruleish. In any case, a relationship between a student and a teacher shouldn't be public similar to a doctor, a lawyer, or any other guide one confides in.

I think it is okay to post a graduation roster at the end of the year or who made excellent marks, but I would not put so much emphasis on it since achievement is relative.

I agree. It also has the potential to make less privileged students feel even worse about their inabilities and, as a result, do even worse in school.
Clash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 8:08:25 AM
It should be up to the student if he wants to publicly reveal his grades. If he doesn't want to reveal his grades, then the school have no right to publicly reveal them. He or she may have good reasons for not wanting to publicly reveal their grades. More importantly, I see no good reasons to publicly reveal someone's grades. It's far more reasonable to just give the grades privately to the student and tell them to do a better job if the grades are bad. To publicly reveal them, however, is not necessary. If the grades are bad and publicly revealed, then the person behind these grades will probably just be made fun of or something. In my college, our grades are never publicly revealed. Our teacher takes one student at a time to his office, and then he gives him his grades and tells him what he must work harder at etc.
Volkskorps
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 12:09:39 AM
Looking at it from a legal perspective, the student's right of privacy will be violated.

Morally, I don't think it is right either. It could make students subjects of humiliation. Would a group of 70-80s average student call a 90 average student a nerd? Would a group of mark-wise good students humiliate a failing student?

A good way is to have student numbers instead of names. Had those publicly shown and no one really seemed to mind.
jackmillarrr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 12:29:12 PM
It is a most important to select a good school. welcome to the site, This is a very good forum site here you can find lot of things.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ATI RADEON HD 5670 " SERIES GRAPHICS CARDS FROM AMD
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 2:31:27 PM
Well, if there's going to be social pressure anyway, I don't see why academics shouldn't be tweaked in a positive direction, as well. Those grades are generally public. Lots of people, many of which you will never even know, will see them, and it will affect the direction your life takes, to a degree. Accordingly, making them public to your peers shouldn't be that big a deal -- making good grades is not difficult in this country. There really is no excuse for bad grades -- you just aren't doing your work. So, if a little peer pressure can help incentivize an otherwise ostensibly hopeless engagement, help stimulate young minds and cause them to prioritize academics over other meaningless though more popular activities, then so be it.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 8:29:22 PM
At 11/27/2012 6:01:01 PM, sadolite wrote:

Since when is having bad grades suddenly humiliating to kids who aren't academically oriented in the first place? I'm pretty sure we ALL knew/know who the fvcking morons in our class are. We know it, and they know it. They usually get by on being an athlete, the class clown, or adopting the "I don't really care" attitude. I have never in all of my years of schooling seen a student say, "You know, I'm really going to study harder for the next test so that my peers don't think I'm retarded." On the contrary, the bad students tend to be the most popular kids in the class. I know in my school, they never did their HW and the geeks gladly handed their HW over to us to copy... I mean them. JK.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 8:34:48 PM
As far as school/student rights, I'm pretty sure there is no technical right to privacy. However, I have family who works in Education (teachers, administrators, etc.) and they would tell you that their school would get ripped a new a$shole if they ever tried to pull something like that. Then again, they all work in NYC and I imagine things are a lot more strict in certain areas than others. Around these parts, "the parents is always right" mentality seems to be a lot more prudent than the teacher's free reign. They're pretty much slaves to political correctness, and revealing a student's grades when they may have learning disabilities, problems at home or other reasons for doing poorly mean the schools probably shouldn't get away with this. I imagine it invites some type of lawsuit, or at the very least unnecessary headaches for the school board to deal with. Even if the student is just straight up lazy, a passionate parent can emphatically argue otherwise, and get the kid in trouble.

Overall, I would suggest other methods. One of the most simple yet effective things a dean once told me in looking at my horrendous grades (out of sheer laziness, obviously) was that the next time I wanted to cut class, to go in the bathroom, look myself in the mirror, and ask "Would you like fries with that?" I've actually had to do that, and it worked. All in all, I don't think this is a good idea. I also know that I would personally feel more humiliated (if that were the goal) if I were insulted personally by a teacher underestimating my intelligence. When someone feels like they have to put on a show for their peers, I think many will opt for the jokey route rather than the getting serious about academics route.
President of DDO
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 2:06:31 AM

It should be consensual. Period.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2012 11:12:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
When I was in grade and high school --that was when the earth was still young-- test scores were always read out loud or posted. No one thought it could be any other way.

I think it's better to keep them private.

In one of my college stints I had a prof who would put all the graded homework assignments and tests on a shelf for students to pick up. If you did well, someone would invariably steal your work to use as reference. I remember one particularly dopey class when I only got a couple papers back for the whole semester.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 4:41:13 AM
It shouldn't be done. Making general information available is fine, but specific names of people and their progress? Might help, probably will hurt. There are very few people who will be motivated by public humiliation.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 1:09:17 PM
I would say that it's fine if you chose to go to that school. Since you're forced to however, I would say no.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush