Jump to topic:

Number of credits for Freshman year

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2012 7:37:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
How many credit hours should one go for Freshman year?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 8:38:28 PM
Yeah, I'd say 15. If the student had a job, I would suggest 12 for the first semester, but I don't think that would be necessary for you even if you'll also be working. Every other semester should be 15-- I just think the first semester might be hard for some people to get used to (only because of the unfamiliar structure, and fact that you need more discipline in college to keep tabs on your sh!t). I've only taken 12 credits when I was also very busy at work. I took 18 credits one semester and pledged a fraternity (lol big mistake).
President of DDO
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 2:11:36 AM
If you're on the quarter system, like my school, Louisiana Tech, it'd be around 10 or 11. Just in case.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 6:48:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The most I ever took in a semester was 20. It sucked, but I took 18 or 20 every semester, and with AP credits I graduated a year early, so it was a good idea overall.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 10:14:21 PM
At 12/3/2012 7:37:01 PM, socialpinko wrote:
How many credit hours should one go for Freshman year?

That depends on how much you think you can handle. I signed up for 21 hours my first semester and dropped down to 18. That said, gen-ed classes are EASY. Maths, sciences, writing and rhetoric classes.... mindnumbingly easy. That said however, be sure to pay attention to attendance policies. You can usually drop down though if you take too many though, just be sure to do so before cutoff dates. Btw. do not buy university textbooks at university book stores. The most hours I ever took per semester was 24 (two independent studies), but that was pretty stupid of me. I wouldn't recommend that... but fifteen is average. Twelve is nothing. Eighteen is a good balance I think though. That, however, is my opinion.
Tsar of DDO
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 10:49:01 AM
At 12/4/2012 8:38:28 PM, Danielle wrote:
Yeah, I'd say 15. If the student had a job, I would suggest 12 for the first semester, but I don't think that would be necessary for you even if you'll also be working. Every other semester should be 15-- I just think the first semester might be hard for some people to get used to (only because of the unfamiliar structure, and fact that you need more discipline in college to keep tabs on your sh!t). I've only taken 12 credits when I was also very busy at work. I took 18 credits one semester and pledged a fraternity (lol big mistake).

A fraternity?

Well... I suppose most people lie about their gender...
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 10:55:16 AM
Full time student status starts at 12. That's 4 classes. 15 is five classes. 3 credits per class, aside those with labs, with are 4 credits.

Classes are usually divided into morning/afternoon/evening, and monday/wednesday/friday for and hour and twenty or tuesday/thursday for three hours.

Not all classes are available for all blocks.

So, if you can squeeze four into mon/wed/fri and a fifth is an odd one out, you may want to stick with 4. However, if you work, it may be easier to spread it out throughout the week, which may give you room for an additional class.

Really, it depends on how much time you want to spend in school per day per and per week, as well as the contraints of your schedule.

Even if you don't have a job, it may be prudent to start with only four classes, since you're working only on prerequisites anyway. Algebra 101, Eng 101, Bio or Chem 101 and an elective.