Jump to topic:

Education Reform

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 9:31:23 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Hard Times at Douglass High: Anybody see this documentary?

I'm watching it now. It's about No Child Left Behind and how it's failing miserably, most notably in urban HS. One of the teachers noted that when testing incoming 9th graders, most of them scored at a 4th grade reading level.

In my girlfriend's Northern Illinois University English class, there are about 3/4 black students coincidentally, most from the South Side of Chicago. She notes that when reading aloud, they can barely get through a short passage without stammering and asking for help (and I've read it - it's NOT hard stuff).

Aside from this being a really sad reality for the people who suffer from this lack of education, it also pisses me off that these individuals make it through past HS and into college. My girlfriend's degree is being devalued by these individuals who graduate despite not being competent enough to do so. Realistically, students who come from these areas (as illustrated in the documentary) have no interest in education and don't take it seriously... Why would that change in college? It's not like they're paying for it. They get a free ride; free tuition, free books, free money to live (i.e. waste their money), etc.

From what I see, they barely attend class. I mean, if these kids are reading at a 4th grade level, why are they receiving money to go to college? Where's my money? I have to take years off because I have no money and no way to get a loan to get back into Rutgers and finish up graduating (I'm taking cheap-o online classes now, which are pretty much irrelevant to my degree). This is BS. I actually care about my education, yet I suffer because I'm white and middle class.

Everyone is racially conscious, extremely PC, and implementing policies like the Second Chance Program which tends to only be applicable to minorities, etc. This is unfair. I guess my question is what do you think should be done to fix this situation? All over TV you hear people talking about how there needs to be massive education reform. What would that reform entail in your opinion?
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 11:15:19 AM
Fill in the bubbles as a requirement college is a sure indicator of massive overhaul needed. Copy European systems for proper effect.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
dogparktom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 1:04:12 PM
I'm 67 years old. For as long as I can remember people have complained about public education and have called for reform. And there have been reforms - continually!

The focus needs to be changed. Now the schools GIVE an education.

The focus needs to be on the student to educate himself. Any student who can't read well ought not to be promoted.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 1:13:40 PM
At 10/16/2009 11:15:19 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Fill in the bubbles as a requirement college is a sure indicator of massive overhaul needed. Copy European systems for proper effect.

You fail as you have no idea what you are talking about. Why don't you take the SATs and then post your score on here -- High school curricula does not prepare you for the SATs, it requires aptitude and reasoning.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 1:15:27 PM
At 10/16/2009 9:31:23 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I guess my question is what do you think should be done to fix this situation? All over TV you hear people talking about how there needs to be massive education reform. What would that reform entail in your opinion?

1. Increased teacher salaries.
2. Increased qualification requirements for employment as a teacher.
3. School Vouchers.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 1:21:23 PM
At 10/16/2009 1:13:40 PM, Nags wrote:

You fail as you have no idea what you are talking about. Why don't you take the SATs and then post your score on here -- High school curricula does not prepare you for the SATs, it requires aptitude and reasoning.

Why do Americans use the Bac, but we don't use the SATS?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 1:22:04 PM
At 10/16/2009 1:15:27 PM, JBlake wrote:
I guess my question is what do you think should be done to fix this situation? All over TV you hear people talking about how there needs to be massive education reform. What would that reform entail in your opinion?

1. Increased teacher salaries.

Meh. I'm skeptical if that will work.

2. Increased qualification requirements for employment as a teacher.

Agreed. You should required to have at least a Bachelors degree and teaching certificate to be a middle school teacher. You should be required to have at least a Masters degree for high school.

3. School Vouchers.

No. Too much $$$ and it only helps the students who get the voucher, rather than the system as a whole.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 1:22:50 PM
At 10/16/2009 1:21:23 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Huh?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 1:24:47 PM
At 10/16/2009 1:22:50 PM, Nags wrote:
At 10/16/2009 1:21:23 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Huh?

Baccalaureate - French Test , taken by some Americans. SATS, American test, taken by no Europeans.

Besides, what's the point of having a 10 odd year education and then sitting a test which doesn't examine that?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 1:36:45 PM
At 10/16/2009 1:24:47 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Baccalaureate - French Test , taken by some Americans. SATS, American test, taken by no Europeans.

Never heard of it, have never heard of any Americans taking it either. However, I know the SATs have an international branch with a specific French branch. I also have cousins in England who know what the SATs are. I guarantee that barely anyone in America has ever heard of the Baccalaureate.

Besides, what's the point of having a 10 odd year education and then sitting a test which doesn't examine that?

There are standards-based assessment tests (for public schools) that are different for each state which determine whether or not you get to graduate high school. It seems silly to give tests on high school curricula to determine college admissions, as obviously not every school has the same curricula.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 1:42:38 PM
At 10/16/2009 1:36:45 PM, Nags wrote:
At 10/16/2009 1:24:47 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Never heard of it, have never heard of any Americans taking it either. However, I know the SATs have an international branch with a specific French branch. I also have cousins in England who know what the SATs are. I guarantee that barely anyone in America has ever heard of the Baccalaureate.

http://www.ibo.org...

There are standards-based assessment tests (for public schools) that are different for each state which determine whether or not you get to graduate high school. It seems silly to give tests on high school curricula to determine college admissions, as obviously not every school has the same curricula.

0.0 Now that makes sense. Obvious solution - Standardise the cirricula
dogparktom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 1:45:36 PM
Here is "A Nation at Risk" (1983), the celebrated national report on education. http://www.ed.gov... ? Check the section "A Nation at Risk" regarding functional illiteracy.

I doubt if much change for the better has been realized.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 1:58:42 PM
At 10/16/2009 1:45:36 PM, dogparktom wrote:
Here is "A Nation at Risk" (1983), the celebrated national report on education. http://www.ed.gov... ? Check the section "A Nation at Risk" regarding functional illiteracy.

I doubt if much change for the better has been realized.

Why don't you offer us a summary. That would better facilitate discussion.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 2:52:52 PM

I'm watching it now. It's about No Child Left Behind and how it's failing miserably, most notably in urban HS. One of the teachers noted that when testing incoming 9th graders, most of them scored at a 4th grade reading level.

In my girlfriend's Northern Illinois University English class, there are about 3/4 black students coincidentally, most from the South Side of Chicago. She notes that when reading aloud, they can barely get through a short passage without stammering and asking for help (and I've read it - it's NOT hard stuff).

Aside from this being a really sad reality for the people who suffer from this lack of education, it also pisses me off that these individuals make it through past HS and into college. My girlfriend's degree is being devalued by these individuals who graduate despite not being competent enough to do so. Realistically, students who come from these areas (as illustrated in the documentary) have no interest in education and don't take it seriously... Why would that change in college? It's not like they're paying for it. They get a free ride; free tuition, free books, free money to live (i.e. waste their money), etc.

From what I see, they barely attend class. I mean, if these kids are reading at a 4th grade level, why are they receiving money to go to college? Where's my money? I have to take years off because I have no money and no way to get a loan to get back into Rutgers and finish up graduating (I'm taking cheap-o online classes now, which are pretty much irrelevant to my degree). This is BS. I actually care about my education, yet I suffer because I'm white and middle class.

Everyone is racially conscious, extremely PC, and implementing policies like the Second Chance Program which tends to only be applicable to minorities, etc. This is unfair. I guess my question is what do you think should be done to fix this situation? All over TV you hear people talking about how there needs to be massive education reform. What would that reform entail in your opinion?

Get rid of the department of education forever!
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 2:54:53 PM
At 10/16/2009 1:22:04 PM, Nags wrote:

3. School Vouchers.

No. Too much $$$ and it only helps the students who get the voucher, rather than the system as a whole.

Parents should get to choose what school there children go to... there the ones paying for it... never should be fed funded...

get competition started among schools and you will see our kids smarter then ever.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 2:55:05 PM
At 10/16/2009 2:52:52 PM, comoncents wrote:

LOL...no.
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 2:59:45 PM
At 10/16/2009 2:54:53 PM, comoncents wrote:

3. School Vouchers.

Parents should get to choose what school there children go to... there the ones paying for it... never should be fed funded...

get competition started among schools and you will see our kids smarter then ever.

Because the free market definitly has a long history of making sure everyone gets what they need.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 3:06:36 PM
At 10/16/2009 2:59:45 PM, SportsGuru wrote:

3. School Vouchers.

Because the free market definitly has a long history of making sure everyone gets what they need.

School Vouchers..... yes.

It should be the right of state and local school districts to implement education vouchers according to the 10th Amendment of the Constitution.

I reject government-issued vouchers
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 3:08:41 PM
At 10/16/2009 3:06:36 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 10/16/2009 2:59:45 PM, SportsGuru wrote:

3. School Vouchers.

School Vouchers..... yes.

It should be the right of state and local school districts to implement education vouchers according to the 10th Amendment of the Constitution.

I reject government-issued vouchers

Education requires a significant amount of funding, which private business can provide, but at a cost, which makes it unavailable to the lower echelons of society.

Simply put, it's taking brains from those who need it most.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 3:13:18 PM
At 10/16/2009 2:55:05 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

LOL...no.

LOL... yes
The US Department of Education should be abolished, leaving education decision making at the state, local or personal level.
Evidence shows, since the 1950s, since the federal government's gotten involved, the quality of education has gone down, and the cost has gone up.
"they've proved themselves inefficient. The one city they're totally in charge of is Washington, D.C. Thirteen thousand dollars a year per student. They have more guns, more drugs, more violence. So there's no evidence that the government can do a very good job."
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 3:16:56 PM
At 10/16/2009 3:13:18 PM, comoncents wrote:

LOL...no.

LOL... yes
The US Department of Education should be abolished, leaving education decision making at the state, local or personal level.
Evidence shows, since the 1950s, since the federal government's gotten involved, the quality of education has gone down, and the cost has gone up.
"they've proved themselves inefficient. The one city they're totally in charge of is Washington, D.C. Thirteen thousand dollars a year per student. They have more guns, more drugs, more violence. So there's no evidence that the government can do a very good job."

Which is why it should be reformed . Like in many cases, the U.S. should look at Europe for the template
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 3:19:54 PM
At 10/16/2009 3:16:56 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/16/2009 3:13:18 PM, comoncents wrote:

LOL...no.

LOL... yes

Which is why it should be reformed . Like in many cases, the U.S. should look at Europe for the template

I agree but getting rid of the The US Department of Education would be a good start to reform... thats all i am saying...

your the one that laughed out loud and said no when i suggested it...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 3:22:54 PM
I'll do something odd here and agree with comoncents a bit.

Regional education departments can be a lot more effective than federal ones. The situation in Canada here is that each province controls its own education policies; the federal government only provides the most basic structural and complementary policies. This alleviates the pressures of having the federal government bend over backwards to not only try and attempt to create a uniform educational policy in a non-uniform country, as well as funding pressures that come with education programs. It also allows micro-managing from the provinces, allowing them to target students and demographics that maybe the federal government could not have before.

This could easily work in the United States, with the states controlling their education policy and the federal government providing basic structure. It is important to have that structure though; allowing the states control is one thing, but handing them the keys is another. There should be some level of accountability and resources that the federal government provides, just so the pressure is spread a little while giving students an extra level of accountability and funding.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 3:38:21 PM
At 10/16/2009 3:22:54 PM, Volkov wrote:
I'll do something odd here and agree with comoncents a bit.

Regional education departments can be a lot more effective than federal ones. The situation in Canada here is that each province controls its own education policies; the federal government only provides the most basic structural and complementary policies. This alleviates the pressures of having the federal government bend over backwards to not only try and attempt to create a uniform educational policy in a non-uniform country, as well as funding pressures that come with education programs. It also allows micro-managing from the provinces, allowing them to target students and demographics that maybe the federal government could not have before.

This could easily work in the United States, with the states controlling their education policy and the federal government providing basic structure. It is important to have that structure though; allowing the states control is one thing, but handing them the keys is another. There should be some level of accountability and resources that the federal government provides, just so the pressure is spread a little while giving students an extra level of accountability and funding.

Why is it something odd to agree with me.

truthfully, do you guys think i am dumb!
(i ask this knowing that some ignorant people will shoot in there classless wit, but if you are being serious , really let me know)
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 3:40:55 PM
At 10/16/2009 3:38:21 PM, comoncents wrote:

It was a joke.

You're not "dumb," but in honesty, you don't come off as a genius either. I'm sure I don't as well, but I still manage to use proper grammar. And, that one post concerning "Darwin's Dilemma" was really, really dumb.

But, you're not "dumb," just odd, which can be something good in and of itself.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 3:45:57 PM
At 10/16/2009 3:40:55 PM, Volkov wrote:

It was a joke.

You're not "dumb," but in honesty, you don't come off as a genius either. I'm sure I don't as well, but I still manage to use proper grammar. And, that one post concerning "Darwin's Dilemma" was really, really dumb.

But, you're not "dumb," just odd, which can be something good in and of itself.

I get the joke, it really is funny...

The Darwin's Dilemma was extremely dumb and posted while having some wine.
It was not my best moment.
And if you want to correct my grammar, I welcome it gladly.
I know i am not a genius, at least that is good.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 3:50:15 PM
At 10/16/2009 3:45:57 PM, comoncents wrote:

And if you want to correct my grammar, I welcome it gladly.

Spanish was my first language, and causes me to suck at grammar.
I am still learning the arbitrary idiosyncrasies of the english language, and I welcome any input in improving my grammar.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 3:54:17 PM

It was a joke.

And we do seem to be on the opposite side of the political spectrum, only agreeing 53.85% of the time when it comes to "big issues".
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 3:55:46 PM
Better yet - Install a spellchecker

Strange about your grammar, there's a Spanish guy in my class who speaks perfectly fine English (He's lived in Ireland his whole life) and is also fluent en espagnola.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 3:57:44 PM
At 10/16/2009 3:54:17 PM, comoncents wrote:

It was a joke.

And we do seem to be on the opposite side of the political spectrum, only agreeing 53.85% of the time when it comes to "big issues".

I guess i was just having an emotional moment, and for the record, i think you are a pretty smart guy from time to time.
(when you agree with me, than you look like a genius)