Jump to topic:

What's an 'A' Worth?

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 6:06:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Many parents pay their kids for top grades. Even when it works, it may not be the smartest investment.

True, or not true? What do you think?

http://online.wsj.com...
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 6:08:00 PM
I used to get $20 per A and $10 per B on my report cards as a kid. That stopped when I hit high school, though.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 6:26:46 PM
I got 100 bucks for every straight-A report card.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 6:32:25 PM
I didn't need to get paid for good grades. Ever since I was a toddler I had the mentality of "If I don't get good grades, I'm going to live in a box my whole life."

And boy was I right and damn right it paid off to have that attitude as a child. Unlike most, I made good career decisions and had the will to succeed at an early age. Thats how I was able to start my dream career at age 17.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 6:41:35 PM
At 12/13/2012 6:32:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I didn't need to get paid for good grades. Ever since I was a toddler I had the mentality of "If I don't get good grades, I'm going to live in a box my whole life."

And boy was I right and damn right it paid off to have that attitude as a child. Unlike most, I made good career decisions and had the will to succeed at an early age. Thats how I was able to start my dream career at age 17.

lol @ box
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 6:51:59 PM
At 12/13/2012 6:41:35 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
lol @ box

Yep, a cardboard box on the side of a curb with no job.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 7:10:53 PM
I had straight As all through high school and for the first three semesters of college. Never got money for it, but my parents would take me to my favorite mexican restaurant at the end of the semester because they know i love it there and so long as i maintained good grades i would have a lot more privileges. It was never an incentive (my grades benefit me for what they are, not for the unrelated rewards), but it was certainly nice for good grades to be recognized.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 7:45:25 PM
Myself, I was never paid for it. Was pushed hard to get good grades and got them. I look back and think that if I was paid to get good grades and it was enough to actually make me think about more than just a box of baseball cards or whatever, then I coulda learned more about spending and saving earlier. Woulda made me more responsible earlier, and that's prolly how I'm going to raise my kids.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 7:56:58 PM
Not only does paying for grades work, but simply paying kids to show up for class also improves grades.

This is because it changes the mindset about school from being a prison to being a job.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GOD-vs-ITSELF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 8:25:53 PM
At 12/14/2012 7:56:58 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Not only does paying for grades work, but simply paying kids to show up for class also improves grades.

This is because it changes the mindset about school from being a prison to being a job.

Thank you, that sounds SO interesting. Do you have any literature i can read more about this, because it make so much sense.
If You Believe In Free Will, Then Don't Picture A Hippo For One Minute. Starting NOW
john.klepac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 8:32:34 PM
At 12/15/2012 8:25:53 PM, GOD-vs-ITSELF wrote:

Thank you, that sounds SO interesting. Do you have any literature i can read more about this, because it make so much sense.

Well, maybe it is interesting. At the very least, you haven't given him any substantive reason why his position is wrong. Your response seems unnecessarily harsh given how thin it is.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 2:20:14 PM
At 12/21/2012 8:32:34 PM, john.klepac wrote:
At 12/15/2012 8:25:53 PM, GOD-vs-ITSELF wrote:

Well, maybe it is interesting. At the very least, you haven't given him any substantive reason why his position is wrong. Your response seems unnecessarily harsh given how thin it is.

I didn't read any sarcasm in his statement.
tal0001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 5:46:08 PM
an a student mean success. It means you have excelled or even thrived aim your goals or achievements. A can support some of your application forms to persuade a particular school to except you