Jump to topic:

Mock Trial: The Crucible

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2009 5:07:34 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
My English class has just finished reading The Crucible, by Arthur Miller, and we're having mock trials based off the play. Although the characters are old, we are using modern Massachusetts law (so no spectral evidence).

I was assigned the role of prosecutor. My role is to try and convict Abigail Williams of first degree murder.

I've built a pretty solid case, but I'm wondering what the DDO community thought. For those who have read The Crucible, what would you argue if you were the prosecutor? Also relevant, how would you defend Abigail Williams if you were on the defense?

Thanks.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2009 5:19:46 PM
First degree murder? Ouch, that's tough. I'm not sure about old Mass law, but it will be tough to prove that Abigail intentionally killed all those people. Even if this is true, she didn't do it - the defense can just call her an unreliable witness who the judge should not have trusted. Abigail never sentenced anyone, physically murdered anyone, or commanded anyone to die. Also, the defense of sanity comes to mind.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2009 6:02:19 PM
6/29/2009 9:37:06 PM

This is the third attempt at writing a farewell speech to DDO, and I have come to realize that it just doesn't matter.

I have tried to be soaringly optimistic about this website -- many users poke fun of me for my irrational optimism -- but the time has come for me just to walk away. I could offer my thoughts as I did in my first two drafts, but I just don't have the heart for it.

7/29/2009 3:06:44 PM

When I left, some of you guys asked "why?" and at that time I was so sick of this place that I didn't even feel like explaining. I guess some time has passed. I left because you guys are a bunch of morons. During my stay here, I was very diligent with my whole "let's just coexist and harmony" attitude. You guys still don't get it.

It's the same, repeated shtick over and over. Can't you guys just get over yourselves?

What's more is that you guys are completely close-minded. Be honest. This is not a place you truly come to learn. This is a place where you come to vent your frustration, and argue, and argue, and argue. And politics is not enough still. You fight with one another, and cause controversy, and become angrier.

I strongly encourage you all to leave DDO, but I know you won't. You guys are insane.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2009 6:02:57 PM
Lol. Had to.

Anyway, I read The Crucible in HS but don't remember *anything* about it. I really didn't go to school that much that year. Good luck though - mock trials are fun :D
President of DDO
dogparktom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 5:54:58 AM
At 10/23/2009 6:02:57 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Lol. Had to.

Anyway, I read The Crucible in HS but don't remember *anything* about it. I really didn't go to school that much that year. Good luck though - mock trials are fun :D

"mock trials are fun :D"

BUT REAL TRIALS ARE FUNNER. I WAS A PROSECUTOR AND A PUBLIC DEFENDER.
philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 9:48:38 PM
At 11/13/2009 6:07:10 AM, tkubok wrote:
The key to success is to accuse everyone of being a witch, before they accuse you.

We are doing this in english as well...

You should post your case. I would like to hear it
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
wonderwoman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 10:13:07 PM
aren't the Salem Witch Trials like The Red Scare. I could certainly see how Joseph McCarthy could be charged with 1st degree murder. So, why shouldn't Abigail Williams be held to the same standards?