Jump to topic:

Compare and Contrast

theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 3:23:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I have a paper due in English tomorrow and I have to compare and contrast to writers and their different styles.

Problem is, through 12 years of schooling, no one has really told me what the difference between comparing and contrasting is. Could someone please help?!?!? All I need is a short, simple explanation of how the two differ.
When Reach fell, I came.
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 3:24:21 PM
At 10/27/2009 3:23:44 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
I have a paper due in English tomorrow and I have to compare and contrast two writers and their different styles.

Problem is, through 12 years of schooling, no one has really told me what the difference between comparing and contrasting is. Could someone please help?!?!? All I need is a short, simple explanation of how the two differ.

Edit
When Reach fell, I came.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 3:27:02 PM
If you compare two things, you show how they are alike.
If you contrast two things, you show how they are different.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 3:35:10 PM
No worries man. Which writers are you going to choose?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 3:38:16 PM
At 10/27/2009 3:35:10 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
No worries man. Which writers are you going to choose?

We're working with two autobiographies in class; Ben Franklin and Louis Armstrong. We're discussing their early lives and how they were self-made men and the different ways they potray themselves.
When Reach fell, I came.
Lifeisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 5:16:39 PM
I have written several comparison and contrast papers over the years. I like to use this format for this sort of paper:

P1: Intro, gives the reader an idea of what to expect from your paper.
P2: Introduce item/person number one, simply giving the facts.
P3: Introduce item/person number two, simply giving the facts.
P4: Compare the two items/persons, showing important resemblances.
P5: Contrast the two items/persons, showing important differences.
P6: State your conclusion of the topic.

Depending on how much information you have, your paper will be about two pages long using this format. Of course, you can choose to use more paragraphs if you have an especially large amount of information on one aspect of your paper.

This style has served me well over the years, and I highly recommend it. However, if your paper is exceptionally long, then this format will not work.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 5:23:05 PM
At 10/27/2009 5:19:39 PM, Nags wrote:
How don't you know what compare and contrast means... Wtf?

I knew what the basic idea behind it was, and I've been able to get away with it up to this point, but now I'm taking an AP class and just telling the differences doesn't workout real well.

Guess I just haven't cared enough to even try to find out before now.
When Reach fell, I came.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 5:25:53 PM
At 10/27/2009 5:23:37 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

A lack of knowledge is hardly something to criticize; it was an honest question, and I don't think it's really an issue.

Agreed.

Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 5:35:38 PM
At 10/27/2009 5:25:53 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

A lack of knowledge is hardly something to criticize; it was an honest question, and I don't think it's really an issue.

Agreed.

Seriously, though. I think most middle-schoolers know what compare and contrast means.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2009 5:59:14 AM
A bigger problem is that through 12 years of schooling you have not figured out a way to independently find out the definition of words without asking other people.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2009 6:08:02 AM
At 10/27/2009 5:16:39 PM, Lifeisgood wrote:
I have written several comparison and contrast papers over the years. I like to use this format for this sort of paper:

Intro should also be where any definitions are given, and a summary (short) of the logical progression of your essay. What you cover in your introduction should be followed in the main body in the same order covered in the intro.

Kind of, the conclusion is the reverse working of your main body where you start broadly and end purposefully. Importantly it should mirror and answer what you raised in your introduction, which is what is argued in your body.
Lifeisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2009 6:14:24 PM
At 10/28/2009 6:08:02 AM, Puck wrote:
At 10/27/2009 5:16:39 PM, Lifeisgood wrote:

Intro should also be where any definitions are given, and a summary (short) of the logical progression of your essay. What you cover in your introduction should be followed in the main body in the same order covered in the intro.

Kind of, the conclusion is the reverse working of your main body where you start broadly and end purposefully. Importantly it should mirror and answer what you raised in your introduction, which is what is argued in your body.

What you are talking about is more like an expository or argumentative paper. You should not need to define terms and present answers in a simple comparison and contrast.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2009 6:51:23 PM
At 10/27/2009 5:35:38 PM, Nags wrote:
At 10/27/2009 5:25:53 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

Agreed.

Seriously, though. I think most middle-schoolers know what compare and contrast means.

You'd be surprised.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...